It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-14-2005, 10:36 AM   #1
(female)

sherbear24 HB User
Dealing with hbp early in life

I'm 33 yrs. old and for some odd reason I am feeling depressed that I may need meds. at what I feel is an early age. When I am at the doctors office my readings are quite high.( 156/100-154/92) At home they are well within the normal range. But eventhough I have taken my readings with me to the doctor's office the doctor still feels that I may need a low dose of bp med. I also always question my home monitor eventhough it is brand new and clinically proven acurate. I guess my question is... are there a lot of people in their 30's having to deal with hbp? Hbp does run in my family.

Old 02-14-2005, 11:17 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
Re: Dealing with hbp early in life

I am 28 and was recently given a script (two actually) for HBP from my PCP. I went to a different doctor and will have a follow up visit on 02/28/05. HBP runs in my family also, but my new PCP felt like I should be given a chance to make some lifestyle changes before going on BP meds. I've quit smoking (14 days now!) & started exercising (although I've slacked off the last 5 days - got to get back on that!) & I've seen a dramatic improvement in my BP #'s at home. She wants me to bring my readings & my cuff into my next visit, so hopefully she does take my home readings into account. I was running 135/85 - 145/95 on average at my old PCP & even hit 150/100 once or twice. I definately do freak out having my BP taken, but monitoring myself at home will hopefully help that at my next vist.

In short, I think there are a lot of younger people dealing with HBP. I understand what you mean about it being depressing to be on meds for the rest of our lives when we are this young (I'm already on two thyroid meds for life), BUT it's much better than the alternative. If modern medicine can add a decade onto my life through medicine I'll take it (as long as my quality of life is not too diminished). However, I truly appreciate the fact my new PCP has given me back some of the control & allowed me to do what I can to affect a change in my #'s.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-14-2005, 12:50 PM   #3
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Sherbear,

It sounds like white-coat (anxiety) to me at the docs office. I have the same thing & went on meds. I still don't think that was the right decision 2 years ago. Meds. have a lot of side-effects for me. It was the worst decision that I ever made. Now I am setting doctor's appointments to try & get off of the meds.

Old 02-14-2005, 03:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Sherbear,

I went on BP meds at 34 and they probably saved my life. I am very greatfull that there is medicine that will bring my BP down. My grandmother had hypertension also and she wasn't fornunate enough to live at a time when there was any treatment for it. She did live to be 80 something but HBP took it's toll and her quality of life suffered.

The progress of modern medicine has come so far since I started taking BP meds in 1979. The first medicine I took was clonidine which has a short life so I had to take it 4 times a day and lost a couple of jobs along the way because I was so sleepy I couldn't concentrate.

Now there are so many to choose from almost everyone can find somthing to take with little or no side effects.

Also, I strongly believe that if you put off taking meds your HBP may get worse and that can cause problems later with how well it CAN be controlled.

I was just as bummed out and depressed as you. I felt like my life (as I knew it ) was over. But I learned to live with it and now it's just something I do everyday. I am 60 now and as of my last physical my doc laughingly told me I would probably live into the next century. I don't think my health would be this good had I not started taking BP meds 25 years ago.

Last. Don't think of it as a lifetime commitment. Think of it as something like taking a daily vitamin or a birth control pill. Most people who take the newer ARBs don't feel any different at all.

I wish you the best
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 02-14-2005 at 03:14 PM.

Old 02-14-2005, 08:13 PM   #5
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I agree with Cassiebel. I was 25 when i was dx'd w/ hbp. I went on/off meds. Bcuz of my carelessness, i now have other diseases. Cass is right, there are alot bp meds on the market to choose. If you need to make lifestyle changes, then i would try that first though. When we're young we think hbp and the likes are for older ppl. My mom was a diabetic when i was 25 yrs old and she warned me. I wouldn't listen (i thought i live reasonably healthy) now im diabetic, wth hbp, high cholesterol and thyroid problems.

My son is 30 (almost 31) and just learned he has high glucose. It was a shock to me bcuz he doesn't drink, eat sweets nor is he obese. Maybe it is truly heredity.

p.s. I would try lifestyle choices first, but if you need to take hbp med i suggest you research first. Some of these bp meds can cause alot of unpleasant side effects. I know, i've suffered alot with them.

Last edited by jtu91952; 02-14-2005 at 08:15 PM. Reason: add a comment

Old 02-15-2005, 10:00 AM   #6

dianne12315 HB User

I was 23 when I was first diagnosed with high blood pressure. I have been on many different medications for it and for years I refused to take them because I felt the doctors were wrong. I was too young and healthy to have anything wrong with me so I ignored the fact that I had hbp.

Thankfully...I did not suffer any major damage from it that I know of. I do have a couple of regurgitating valves and left atrium enlargement but the dr doesn't think it's related to the hbp. I do have to go for an MRI of my kidneys though to make sure it did not harm my kidneys for having it for so many years.

In 1999, I started to see a doctor regularly for my hbp and as of now it is still not very well controlled. If you are young and have hbp and can change your lifestyle to control it then you should. If lifestyle changes aren't something you can do then get a second opinion . It could be just white-coat syndrome but please don't wait as long as I did to start taking the medication if it is what you need.

I have learned a lot in the past few months since I was in the hospital because the diuretics caused me to become dehydrated. If I could go back and change my eating habits and lifestyle when I was 23 I would but since I can't I have to do whatever I can now at 49 to make sure there's no damage because of hbp.

Good Luck.

Last edited by dianne12315; 02-15-2005 at 10:03 AM.

Old 02-15-2005, 02:46 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

sherbear,

I, too, was 33 when prescribed my first BP med....a MILLION years agao!

Old 02-15-2005, 05:59 PM   #8
(female)

sherbear24 HB User

Thanks so much to all of you. It helps when not feeling like something is really wrong with me because I do feel so young to have this problem. I will find out tommorrow if I need to begin on a med or not. Wish me luck. At least because of all of you I do not feel as if it is the end of the world.

Old 02-20-2005, 02:32 PM   #9
(female)

shayne HB User

hi,
I am a 33 year old female with 3 kid's and I also have H.P I do take med's also. the answer to your question is I think there are a lot more young people out there with H.P than we all think H.P is not an older person's disorder anymore..I hope I have answered your ouestion shayne..........

Closed Thread