It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-16-2005, 02:00 PM   #1
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User
Cass, mgraylorn or anyone with knowledge about clonidine...

I have been taking clonidine for about two wks now. I like the way it lowers my bp but i have questions? 1) how long does it stay in your system? 2) what is the minimum dosage or the maxium dosage? Can it too cause back lower back pain? I think the norvasc is still in my system and that's why i have a little back pain.

I am to see my gp Friday to see if the clonidine is working. I check my bp at home and it averages 120-140 over 60-84. Sometimes latter in the day i notice that my bp spikes, so im wondering if i should take another clonidine pill.

Thanx for any help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 02:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Cass, mgraylorn or anyone with knowledge about clonidine...

jtu,

My cardio told me the max dose within a 24 hour period is .3mg. But if I take that much I'm a zombie ( only did it once, I was given it in the ER ) The minimum that works for me is 1/2 of .1mg. You might try that 4 times a day. On that dose I can function very well.

I was also told by the same doc that it stays in your system anywhere from 4 to 12 hours depending on the individual and their metabolism.
What is the dose you are taking now? I believe you said you were taking it 2 times a day.

I usually take a 1/2 and just check my BP. If I see it going up I take another 1/2.

Hope this helps. Maybe bharkins will get back to you. Does't she also take it?

Cass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2005, 07:31 PM   #3
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thanks Cass. No bharkins take norvasc, but i think it was mgraylorn that takes clonidine. I take .01 2x a day. My bp drops nicely but then haf way thru the day (about 7 or 8 hrs) my bp will spike very high. Usually it will be 120-130ish, then around 7 or 8 pm when i check my bp it will be 160 or so. Also i get this weird feeling like my insides are trembling.

That makes me check my glucose and my bp. My glucose usually be normal but my bp isn't, it's usualy at that time very high. I'll see my gp on Friday.

Old 02-16-2005, 07:36 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Also i get this weird feeling like my insides are trembling.

I think this feeling is rather common, although I have never experenced it.
Some folks say they get anxious when there next dose is near. At least your getting good control most of the time till you see the doc.
Best of luck at your appointment,
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 02-16-2005 at 07:36 PM.

Old 02-21-2005, 03:29 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Hi jtu! I think the maximum dose is closer to 1.0 mg, but it seems most people take about .2 mg per day. I think the minimum dosage would be about .05mg. The drug stays in your system 8 to 16 hours, which is why most people take it more than once a day. I take .1 mg three times a day. I notice that after about 7 hours from my last dose I often get a bit jittery, hyper, somewhat elevated pulse, etc. Interestingly, this will often go away after 30 minutes. Most of the time I will not have much elevation in bp even out to 10 hours after my last dose.

I think your late day bp spike might be related to the previous dosage wearing off.

I forget what daily dosage you are taking. You might try cutting your pills in half and taking 1/2 pill more frequently, or taking your regular amount twice a day if you are only taking it once, or 3 times a day if you are taking it twice.

I haven't experienced any back ache with clonidine. It may still be residual from your taking Norvasc, but I can't say for sure.

Old 02-21-2005, 09:04 PM   #6
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thanks mgraylorn. Yes the back ache was from the norvasc lingering. My gp just increased my clonidine to 4 pill daily. I spoke to the pharmacist and he said that would be ok. My gp also increased my verapamil 240mg in the am and 120mg in the pm.

Im really worried bcuz i take the clonidine as directed but still gets the very high spikes. I'll probably called the dr in the am if this continue.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:50 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Someone on this board mentioned they take clonidine 5 times a day, so 4 times is not too frequent. When do you get the spikes? Is it consistantly some period of time since your last dose of clonidine? I would have thought taking clonidine every 6 hours would be sufficient to level out the blood pressure.

Old 02-22-2005, 02:24 PM   #8
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

No, i was waiting at least ten hours before the next dose. I now take my clonidne at 6am, 12 pm, 6 pm and around midnite. I take the verapamil 240 at 10 am and 6 pm. I take the torsemide (diuretic) at 10am with breakfast.

I think my bp spikes bcuz i half the torsemide. I noticed today my bp is nice and low 128/70, but i took a whole torsemide 10mgs. Yesterday it was very high bcuz i only took half dose of torsemide. I hate diuretics bcuz of rise in glucose & cholesterol.

Old 02-22-2005, 04:31 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtu91952
No, i was waiting at least ten hours before the next dose. I now take my clonidne at 6am, 12 pm, 6 pm and around midnite. I take the verapamil 240 at 10 am and 6 pm. I take the torsemide (diuretic) at 10am with breakfast.

I think my bp spikes bcuz i half the torsemide. I noticed today my bp is nice and low 128/70, but i took a whole torsemide 10mgs. Yesterday it was very high bcuz i only took half dose of torsemide. I hate diuretics bcuz of rise in glucose & cholesterol.
jtu,
I have a question for you. Did you have any side effects from the verapimil?
My doc just put me back on it. It's been years since I last took it and I can't remember how it made me feel. That will put me on 3 meds now 4 since the benicar is a combo. I worry that my bp will get too low in the am since it's already in the low 120/60s at that time of day but I do agree that it gets way to high in the evenings. I had a choice between trying the verapimil or adding more clonidine. How do you feel about taking the extra clonidine? Are you very sleepy during the day?
Thanks,
Cass

and me. med

Old 02-22-2005, 05:23 PM   #10
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Cass, the only side effect that i noticed about verapamil was the bad dreams when i first started taking it. Also in the beginning (about five yrs ago) i got really bad headaches. I don't get any of those side effects now, not that i know about or recognize.

I don't mind taking clonidine three or four times a day. I especially like it at nite, bcuz the norvasc caused insomnia. I would literally be awake 24hrs. Now i can fight the sleep when i need to be alert(i babysit my baby neice) or i can just give in and take a nap with her.

My gp also just added 120mgs of verapamil to be taken in the pm bcuz clonidine wears off. Started this combo today, and go to the endo tomorrow. Hope my readings are low, at least 130/80 like they were at the gp this week. he was very pleased.

Old 02-23-2005, 08:46 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I can see if you waited 10 hours between clonidine doses you might have had a bit of rebound. Sounds like your current regime is working out for you. Hope it continues.

Old 02-23-2005, 11:14 AM   #12
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

Thank u and Cass for all help. It is greatly appreciated. When i was given this prescription, i was afraid to try it. upon reading both your posts, i became a little less scared. I've tried so many bp meds i was really ready to give up. Norvasc worked very well for a few wks and then the side effects started.

Clonidine is really a great bp med for me without so many side effects, so far. I don't get insomnia, itching, back pain or any of that stuff. Just sleepy and that's ok with me. I am averaging 130-140 over 70 ish. This is a great improvement from the high 170s to 230s.

I will see my endo today. Will post results. Thank you both for all the help.

Closed Thread