It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-17-2005, 12:07 AM   #1

*Paul HB User
ACEI and exercise

Hi all,
I have began doing more exercise at home. I purchased an exercise bike and cycle 30mins most evenings. I really work up a sweat and am very tired after my workout. My query is my pulse readings during and immediately after exercise. I have been told my numerous sources that your pulse rate during exercise should be around 140-160BPM and someone else told me as a rough guide you max. pulse rate is 220 - age = max pulse. The problem is my bike pulse monitor gives me readings around 100-110BPM and if i use my omron bp monitor immediately after my workout it confirm these readings. I take ACEI BP meds, would this lower my BP below the norm, like a beta blocker would do? Otherwise it seems like i have no excuse, all i know is that i am working hard on my bike and if i were to maintain a pulse of 140-160 for a 30min bike ride i would probably pass out.

Regards
Paul

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 06:25 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: ACEI and exercise

Paul,

It's been a LONG time since I took an ACEI (Vasotec) so I don't remember the heart response to exercise, but I HAVE found that my ARB lowers my heart rate response a great deal so I'll bet that your ACEI is doing it.
From an earlier post I saw that you are about 30. At that age, a rate of 110-120 is not going to do your heart much good.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-17-2005, 06:35 AM   #3

*Paul HB User

Sorry Lenin i don't really follow. You say 110-120BPM won't do my heart much good. Do you mean it isn't working my heart enough? If so i wonder why i have been so tired, out of breath and sweating after every workout.

Regards
Paul

Old 02-17-2005, 09:02 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

First off, I'd question the readings you are getting from your bike - unless it has a chest strap. I have yet to see reliable readings from grips on home equipment. Professional equipment seems better, but the chest strap thing works much better.

For the Omron readings, they are probably accurate. However, the question here is just how "immediate" can you get a reading. Your hear rate will drop fast when you quit. The best way would be to count pulse beats for 15 seconds and multiply by 4.

Assume your rate is actually in the 100-110 range... Is this really bad? You didn't specify your age... Assume 40. 220-40=180. At 110, you are at 61% of your max. While it would be more benificial to get higher, this is still a very benificial range to be working out in.

And, most importantly, listen to your body, not the stats. If you feel like you are overdoing it, you probably are. As you workout, you will find you can do more and more over time.

Pal

Last edited by Palamedes; 02-17-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Old 02-18-2005, 12:07 AM   #5

*Paul HB User
Smile Re: ACEI and exercise

Palamedes,

My bike doesn't use the grip pulse sensor, it has a clip that you attach to the ear. But i do stretch for 5mins after my bike ride so my pulse readings probably significantly decrease in that time prior to using my Omron. Yesterday i worked out and my pulse was between 120-140BPM so it is steadily increasing. Don't get me wrong i don't have some fetish with my pulse rate, i am doing the exercising for my BP not my pulse, I just want to be sure that the workout i am doing is having benificial effects, but i guess i really already know this as i am sweaty and very tired after my workout. I would still like to know for sure whether ACEI do effect the pulse rate though, i know the other post says that it may, but it would be nice to know for a fact.

Thanks
Paul

Old 02-18-2005, 06:46 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Almost all 12 of my gym's LifeCyclers are precisely accurate on heart rate and time (on calories another story).
I DO wish there was a way to get a good BP reading on it though...all I get is ERR with my home tester. All that jostling makes the poor meter think my diastolic is ZERO!
Best I can do is get off the machine and wait a minute or two and test (lying on floor...EVERYBODY looks, they think I'm having a Heart Attack.)

Paul,
It doesn't matter how tired your other muscles get; if you're heart rate stays low you're not getting much of a cardio workout.
Best way to find the effect of your ACEI is to stop it for a week and see what kind of a heart rate you get without it. There's no substitute for personal experience.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-18-2005 at 06:53 AM.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:52 AM   #7
(male)

sunbird_owner HB User

Based on a very non scientific personal experience -

I run 3 to 6 miles twice a week.

The ACE's slow me down. The ARB's do not except for the first four hours after you take them. You can't tell that you have taken them unless you run in those first four hours.

I honestly do not know my heart rate - but I do know that it has never stopped - at least so far.

I take 20 mg Benicar. I finished the 1/2 marathon at Tybee although those last three miles were a bit on the turtle side.

Jay

Closed Thread