It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-18-2005, 11:22 AM   #1
(female)

magz0427 HB User
120/80 is high now???

My doctor gave me a lecture on prehypertension and proceeded to tell me that 120/80 is not the norm anymore. When did this new change come about?? I plan on buying a blood pressure monitor because I would like to see how my ranges differ at home verses the doctor's office. My doctor asked me to come back in a month to check it again. If she thinks I'm going on Meds, she's got another thing coming!! Doesn't it seem like the medical community wants to drug everyone without trying alternatives first?? I guess more meds = more cash for the doctors. Don't get me wrong, I take my health very seriously but where does it end? I thought you had to have 5 or 6 consistant high readings before your BP was even considered to be high? Sorry guys, I don't know that much about this. Please clue me in!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 11:39 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: 120/80 is high now???

I don't know your age but wanting to medicate someone with 120/80 is ridiculous.
I would be thrilled with #s like that. My cardiologist would be happy if I could consistantly get 130/80.
I agree with you, don't let them talk you into meds. Just eat right and excereise and you should be fine.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 02-18-2005 at 11:40 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-18-2005, 11:42 AM   #3
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magz0427
My doctor gave me a lecture on prehypertension and proceeded to tell me that 120/80 is not the norm anymore. When did this new change come about?? I plan on buying a blood pressure monitor because I would like to see how my ranges differ at home verses the doctor's office. My doctor asked me to come back in a month to check it again. If she thinks I'm going on Meds, she's got another thing coming!! Doesn't it seem like the medical community wants to drug everyone without trying alternatives first?? I guess more meds = more cash for the doctors. Don't get me wrong, I take my health very seriously but where does it end? I thought you had to have 5 or 6 consistant high readings before your BP was even considered to be high? Sorry guys, I don't know that much about this. Please clue me in!!

It's a bunch of malarky..I agree with Cassie do not let them put you on meds. .Lisa

Old 02-18-2005, 01:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I agree with Cass and Moxie!!

This new pre-hypertension category is recent. It's really the old "normal" of 120-139/80/89. ( See the Seventh Report of the Joint National Committee on Prevention, Detection, Evaluation, and Treatment of High Blood Pressure (JNC 7):

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/guidelines/hypertension/

If you fall into this range it's STILL "normal" and meds are absolutely NOT indicated. "Optimal" would be under 120/80.

However, instead of blithely sending you home with no information whatsoever, doctors should be suggesting some lifestyle modifications, since BP in this range MAY indicate a higher risk of true hypertension later down the pike. So...incorporate the following into your life if you can: Less sodium in diet. Regular exercise. Lose weight if overweight. Caffeine and alcohol in moderation.

What were your #s in the doc's office?

And yes, if this is the first time your BP has been elevated, and depending on your overall health in general, it should be monitored (especially AT HOME with your own monitor!!!) over a period of maybe six months (if not sky high) before a diagnosis of true hypertension be made.

zuzu xx

Old 02-18-2005, 05:56 PM   #5
(female)

sherbear24 HB User

I agree with you all. Doctors sometimes think that a pill can solve everything. I also think that eventhough 120/80 is still in the normal, doctors want it lower because heaven forbid they over look something else. Medicate so they will not get sued later.

Old 02-18-2005, 06:48 PM   #6
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I went to the dr today and my bp was 130/70. He was so thrilled he could not believe it, he kept taking my bp about four times. If i ever get to 120 over anything it will be a miracle.

I agree with everyone else, your bp is fine.

Old 02-18-2005, 07:16 PM   #7
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by magz0427
That's garbage 120/80 is not high . I'm sure this this came from a non partisan study funded by your favorite drug manufacturer . If your doctor tries to tell you this is high then walk away and find someone else . Probably 10% of people have blood pressure lower than this . Sounds like she believes everything the drug makers tell her or getting a nice kickback from her local drug rep.

Old 02-22-2005, 08:22 AM   #8
Inactive

Random2 HB User

It's nonsense. Unmedicated 120/80 is fine. They should worry more about getting sued, because of the horrible side-effects that some of these meds. cause to the body.

Old 02-22-2005, 10:23 AM   #9
(female)

magz0427 HB User

Thank you all so much for responding to my post. I really appreciate it! I'm going to see a new doctor today. I'm interested in hearing what he has to say. I just hope that I can remain calm. Ever since my other doc mentioned my BP, I can't stand the thought of having it taken!! Any advice on remaining calm?? I probably should mention that I do smoke....I know I know...it's terrible. I do plan on quitting....I'm just wondering if that can make my BP go up?? It seems strange because I've smoked before and my BP was always great. Ah, who knows!! Thanks again guys

Closed Thread