It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2005, 07:02 AM   #1
(female)

sherbear24 HB User
Help with info on low sodium diet

Hi,
I was wondering if anyone could help explain how to follow a low sodium diet. How much sodium is someone suppose to have on a daily basis? I do not add salt to any of my foods, and typically if a recipe calls for salt if not necessary for the dish I tend not to add it. Any help with this matter would be appreciated.

Old 02-19-2005, 12:42 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Help with info on low sodium diet

Sherbear,

If you are already not reaching for that salt shaker, that's one half of the "battle" and you're doing well.

Bottom line, if possible, you should try to limit your total sodium intake to 2400mg or less a day. Easier said than done. But since you don't normally salt your food, (and therefore I presume don't necessarily CRAVE it like some of us on this board!!) you're ahead of the game.

ONE TEASOON of table salt is approx 2400mg. So you can see how little it takes to overdo it.

Read labels carefully. Processed foods and packaged goods have a lot of sodium. Even frozen chicken parts that you buy at the supermarket have a sodium content!
Store-bought baked goods (cookies, cake, bread etc), salad dressings, condiments (mayo, ketchup etc) can be LOADED with sodium.
Also read labels on CANNED stuff. Soup especially! Canned vegetables usually have salt but you can now find "no salt added" versions.
I needn't mention the obvious such as salted nuts, potato chips, hot dogs, most "junk food" etc.

And realize that when you see how many mgs, that usually means PER SERVING. And a "serving" could be as little as 1 tablespoon.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2005, 03:21 PM   #3

mrmojo HB User

I tried the low sodium diet for a while, not sure if it did anything, might have lowered my BP by a couple points but no more

The thing I discovered was that while on a low sodium diet, if i ate out or had anything with salt in it (ham, cheddar cheese, etc) my BP spiked up severely

It just wasnt worth the hassle to me, I am on the road several times a week & cant always pick low soduim foods, and the spikes were high enough they scared me a little (one was 180 / 120) I'm never that high when I eat normally

Of course everyone is different

Old 02-19-2005, 03:50 PM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8
If you are already not reaching for that salt shaker, that's one half of the "battle" and you're doing well.
I have to disagree a little here. The salt shaker is probably only 10% of the battle. The other 90% is already there in your food.

Pal

Old 02-20-2005, 04:35 AM   #5
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
I have to disagree a little here. The salt shaker is probably only 10% of the battle. The other 90% is already there in your food.

Pal

Hello,

You are correct here. 90% of the battle is in the food already. And THAT is what caused the problem in the first place!
2400 Mg. is much to much. Under 400 Mg. will have an impact over time curing the disease.
This has to be done along with medication sometimes for a few years. I started a post on this above this one.
But, you can still view the salt shaker as an enemy.

Old 02-20-2005, 06:45 AM   #6
(male)

popeye77 HB User

Just about any processed food contains salt beware of anything labeled with any form of the word sodium. Also MSG, and potasium. Prepared Qriental (Chinese Restaurant) food contains aton of MSG and salt. I'm down to eating my meals at home and severly limited to what I can eat as I am extremely salt sensitive related to BP.

Old 02-20-2005, 09:20 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Sherbear,

You might want to familiarize yourself with the DASH Diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). Deals with the sodium issue at some length.
Here is a link to it (published by the National Institutes of Health and The NHLBI (National Heart, Lung, and Blood Institute).

http://www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/

zuzu xx

Old 02-26-2005, 08:06 PM   #8
(female)

creaky HB User

I eat a low salt diet of less than 1000 mg/day. It's very hard to do if you eat out or eat a lot of processed food. Get a sodium counter book or track your food using software or an online diet counter.

What I've done is to eliminate processed foods. If I want bread, cookies, muffins, etc I make them myself using low salt alternatives. I eat alot of fruit and vegetables.

Read all labels on anything that you buy. The salt is in everything. Some things that I can eat that are process with no or low salt are
shredded wheat
frosted shredded wheat
quick oatmeal (not the instant oatmeal in packets)
graham crackers are low sodium
natural peanut butter (check the label)

Have you looked at the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). It's at www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/ and gave me an excellent start on my diet approach. My BP was above 150/90s or so when I started and is now below 120/85 on a regular basis.

Good Luck

Christy

Old 02-26-2005, 08:14 PM   #9
Inactive

jtu91952 HB User

I am also on a low sodium diet. I read all lables and mostly prepare my own meals. i make several meals and freeze them. I also eat alot of veggies.

Old 02-27-2005, 05:37 AM   #10
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by creaky
I eat a low salt diet of less than 1000 mg/day. It's very hard to do if you eat out or eat a lot of processed food. Get a sodium counter book or track your food using software or an online diet counter.

What I've done is to eliminate processed foods. If I want bread, cookies, muffins, etc I make them myself using low salt alternatives. I eat alot of fruit and vegetables.

Read all labels on anything that you buy. The salt is in everything. Some things that I can eat that are process with no or low salt are
shredded wheat
frosted shredded wheat
quick oatmeal (not the instant oatmeal in packets)
graham crackers are low sodium
natural peanut butter (check the label)

Have you looked at the DASH diet (Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension). It's at [url]www.nhlbi.nih.gov/health/public/heart/hbp/dash/[/url] and gave me an excellent start on my diet approach. My BP was above 150/90s or so when I started and is now below 120/85 on a regular basis.

Good Luck

Christy

Christy, you got it right

Sounds as though you have done your homework and are getting good results. Good for you

My doctor has mentioned the dash diet as well. One word though...even with sodium reduction BP can be stubborn sometimes. Mine was and is. That is why it takes alot of time and consistancy along with some meds if needed. I find that on a low sodium diet I use far less med than if I wasn't. And I think that should apply to most anyone.
During the holidays I consumed WAY to much sodium. I had to use 100Mg cozaar twice a day for a few days once just to keep my BP under control. I now only use 25 Mg. once a day on average.
In time Kidneys will heal.

But it looks like your food choices are good, very good. I like snacks in the evening sometimes and Snyders makes a no salt potato chip that is actually really really good. Popcorn is good as well with cheese seasoning on it. I have made myself delicious sandwiches as well that I would put up to ANY Subway sandwich hands down. About 250Mg.
Cream of Wheat is low 0 Mg. and very high in iron and calcium.
THANK GOD, for chocolate! Now I KNOW there is a God!

Last edited by JIMP; 02-27-2005 at 05:43 AM.

Closed Thread