HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   High & Low Blood Pressure (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/)
-   -   Advice (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/high-low-blood-pressure/254911-advice.html)

pal7778 02-20-2005 10:30 AM

Advice

I found out a couple of years ago I had very high blood pressure. I lost 50 some pounds--I'm now 5'10, 180 or so and have followed a low carb diet pretty strictly. I'm 53 and my kidneys have been tested and function normally. (both the 24 hour thing and an MRI)

I now take avalide -- 300 mgs and tiazac-- 300. A lot!

The result is that my blood pressure, after the first reading (which is often ok
but sometimes over 140/90), is typically 120 some/over 80 some, but sometimes as low as 105/70. I'm satisfied enough with this, I guess. But
I would like to find some way to reduce the amount of medication. I have no side effects worth mentioning and feel fine. It's slowly trending down.

The big thing that I do that I shouldn't: have 4-6 cups of regular coffee a day.

And I should exercise more. Any advice on the MEDS? Thanks!

zuzu8 02-20-2005 10:59 AM

Re: Advice

Congratulations on the weight loss. That alone can lower BP significantly.

It's hard to discern whether one drug or the other is controlling your hypertension best.
It's definitely worth talking to your doctor about dropping one of them to see what happens. Or alternatively, to start, reduce the dosages of one or both. You're very lucky that you are side-effect free!

If the doc says okay, completely [B]drop[/B] one and "take your pick", I'd lose the calcium channel blocker (Tiazac) and stay with Avalide (an ARB plus the diuretic HCTZ).

But you should know that with Avalide, it usually takes [U]2-4 weeks[/U] for your BP to stabilize when you change the dosage either up or down.
I'm not sure about how long Tiazac stays in your system.

zuzu xx

pal7778 02-20-2005 11:15 AM

Thanks. That's the type of advice I need. I've read here and there that taking a CCB
long-term is bad news, whereas the ARB probably isn't (or is actually good because of the protective effects that may be independent of blood pressure reduction). And what about dropping the HCTZ, which may also be bad news? Sorry to be such a parasite, but you guys (esp. Zuzu!) are the experts!

Palamedes 02-20-2005 03:34 PM

The HCTZ can be substituted with a low sodium diet. In other words Avapro + low sodium diet should roughly equal Avalide.

Pal

John Weis 02-20-2005 05:30 PM

Hello, this is my first post but I saw the avalide reference. I started with avapro and it didn't lower my bp enough then switched to avalide 300/12.5 and it made a big difference! I don't know why exactly but I have 0 side effects and am very happy with it. bp around 115-130/75-85.

pal7778 02-20-2005 05:43 PM

That's good to know. What was the total amount of the drop from your unmedicated
blood pressure? Did you try the low sodium route?