It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-22-2005, 09:58 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User
confused by hbp

for years i have tired to avoid hi bp its hereditary now after being told i have hpb now i feel my heart beating almost like palpations could this be aniexty indetaed of hi bp my numbers are like 128/84 its not really what i call hi

Old 02-22-2005, 10:29 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: confused by hbp

delrae,

Your BP is perfectly normal; don't give it another thought.
Anxiety and palpitations are another matter.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-22-2005 at 10:30 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2005, 11:04 AM   #3
(female)

Beach Bum HB User

It's my opinion that anxiety can cause HBP and palps. With me it's kind of the chicken before the egg thing. I was having palps related to perimenopause which caused anxiety which I believe caused my BP to elevate. My doctor supports me on this. She put me on an extremely low dose of a beta blocker which slowed my heart rate and lowered BP. Now my anxiety is almost gone. I hate the side effects so I cut my dose in half (OK with doc) and now after 2 months my BP is so low I may stop it all together. I am only taking 6 mg of Atenolol which is 1/4 of the lowest reccommended dosage. My doctor wants me to stick with it because the palps may return and start the whole ugly cycle again.
I was 140/90 at doctors office. 135/85 at home with a resting heart rate of 105 before the beta blocker. I literally felt like I was coming out of my skin. I am 43 and up until that point my BP was always around 110/70ish. Now on the Atenolol it goes really low sometimes 96/60 and HR is 65-75. I might start taking it every other day and see what happens.
When all of this started I had a panic attack and my husband called 911. My BP was 153/108 and hr 140. Really scary. Sorry for the long drawn out story.

Old 02-22-2005, 11:21 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I also think the palps are from anxiety. Your numbers are in what they call the "prehypertension" range 120/80 to 139/90. You don't need medication yet. Now is the time to start some lifestyle changes though. Cut back on salt, start exercising and if you are over weight, loose those extra pounds. Also if you tend to be anxious anyway, pick up a book or a tape on relaxation techniques, or take a class and learn how to relax.

By the way, exercise is good for reducing anxiety too!

Old 02-22-2005, 02:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

delrae4753 HB User

i havent eaten salt in my food in 32 years aslo i have recently lost 20 lbs due to cutting out red meats and since im a diabetic i am on a diet paln i exercise what i can due to nueropathy in the legs and feet , thanks for all the input...

Closed Thread