It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-23-2005, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

magz0427 HB User
Here we go again:(

I went back to see my doctor yesterday and my blood pressure was very high at his office...140/90!!! When I left there, I decided to stop at the store and buy a home blood pressure device. Well, The minute I took it by BP was down to 120/80 and I did it again an hour later and it was 105/68. Do you think these home BP monitors are reliable?? I don't understand why my BP goes wild at the docs office and now I'm scared that he's going to try and put me on meds! Also, the doc asked if I take meds like Advil or Motrin. I told him that I do take those meds fairly often...maybe 1 or 2 a day. When I asked him why he said that some people are very sensative to them but he didn't really elaborate. Have you heard of Motrin or Advil causing HBP?? Thanks for your help guys. I'm worried now

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 08:12 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: Here we go again:(

You probably have what is called "white coat syndrome", meaning you experience anxiety in the doctor's office at the prospect of having your blood pressure checked, and so your blood presssure is higher than normal. 140/90 is not "very high", that puts you barely in the Stage 1 hypertension category - this category STARTS at 140/90! There is a new category called "Prehypertension" which is bp in the range 120-139/80-89. If your blood pressure were to consistantly fall in this category, then lifestyle changes would be suggested, like losing weight if you are overweight, exercise, reducing salt intake, but medication is not the first line of action in this category. Doctors would like your resting bp to average below 120/80, and it sounds like yours probably does.

BP monitors vary in quality, I'd ask a pharmacist or doctor for a reccomendation. Most people will tell you the cuff type are more reliable, but I have a wrist monitor I bought at a CVS for about $70, which is very reliable - I have calibrated it against my doctor's readings. You might do the same with the model you bought.

Measure your resting, relaxed bp once or twice a day for several weeks and keep a log of your readings to determine what your average is. Some people even get anxious taking their bp at home, so they take 3 readings fairly close in a row, and either average, or throw out the first one, which tends to be higher.

Take your log to your doctor on your next visit. If your home readings are consistantly like the ones you have listed, you don't need drugs.

Edited to add, some types of pain relievers can raise blood pressure slightly, which is why your doctor asked about them. You don't say why you take that much Advil, but if you can avoid it, you might stop taking those pain relievers for several days and see what that does to your resting bp.

Last edited by mgraylorn; 02-23-2005 at 08:14 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-23-2005, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

lavenderfields HB User

Yes, products that contain ibupropen like Advil and Motrin can cause bp to be higher in some people. Sudafed can also do this. There are also a long list of prescription drugs that can do the same such as steroids. Also, if you're not feeling well or having any type of pain this can also raise your bp.

I agree with mgraylorn I think you were just anxious at the Drs. office. My bp is always higher at the Drs. office. Your readings at home are great.

Old 02-23-2005, 09:05 AM   #4
(female)

magz0427 HB User

I really apprecaite your input guys....thanks a million. My BP monitor is the cuff one. The pharmacist told me the one I bought is extremely accurate....I sure hope he's right! My doctor asked me to go back next week for an EKG and a stress test....I'm a nervous wreck!! I have no idea what those tests entail and my heart races just thinking about it He is sending me home with his own BP monitor..I have to wear it for 24 hours...oh joy! I just hope it all works out alright. My readings at home have been consistantly good..last one this morning was 104/75. I just hope all the tests come out alright...I'm so not ready( or willing) to go on BP meds!!

Old 02-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #5
(female)

JenEbean HB User

It does sound like White Coat Hypertension. Just keep track of your BP twice a day. When you go to the doc the next time take the readings with you. The 24 hour monitor will tell the story though. If your blood pressure is running high at home, this will show it. Take your monitor to your next doctors appointment so they can take your BP with theirs and yours to compare.

Old 02-23-2005, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I agree with all here who feel you probably have "white coat"...and I suspect your doctor does too, that's why he's sent you home with a 24-hour BP hookup.
This is called an ABPM (ambulatory blood pressure monitor) and it's a great way to tell what your average BP is throughout your normal day. It's probably THE definitive "test" of whether you have true hypertension or just occassional (and thus normal) spikes.

zuzu xx

Edited to add PS:

Lay off the ibuprofen if you can..many studies link the chronic use of acetaminophen (tylenol), ibuprofen, and other NSAIDs to hypertension..

Read this :
[url]http://www.news.harvard.edu/gazette/2002/10.31/18-painkillers.html[/url]

Last edited by zuzu8; 02-23-2005 at 01:36 PM.

Old 02-24-2005, 02:22 AM   #7
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

140/90 is nothing to worry about as an isolated, nervous reading at the doctor. or at least meds in response to it would do you more harm than good. i'm sure the 24 hr results will be reassuring.

Closed Thread