It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-24-2005, 09:22 AM   #1
(male)

tbear228 HB User
Hp Meds/and Anti Inflammatory Pills

With Are Hp Meds Are There Any Safe Anti Inflammatory Pills. We Cant Take[motrin,advil, Aleve, Orudus Etc.]the One's That Work. Are We Left With Just Ecotrin/or Tylenol Which Both Do Very Little For My Sciatica Pain.
any info?

Old 02-24-2005, 02:25 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Hp Meds/and Anti Inflammatory Pills

Tbear,

I know. This is tricky one...especially for folks with high blood pressure who have chronic pain and need analgesia daily.

I've read that a combo of a low dose of tramadol (a centrally acting synthetic opioid) with Tylenol is very effective for the chronic pain of osteoarthritis and is suggested as an alternative for those with hypertension (depending of course on whether other health issues contraindicate it or not.)

Do you need painkillers every day or just for sciatic flareups of short duration?

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-24-2005, 03:56 PM   #3
(male)

tbear228 HB User

just for flareups.

Old 02-24-2005, 08:02 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Check with your doctor... if it's only for a couple of days at a time, or a day here and there, and not too often, the NSAIDs like ibuprofen may not be a problem at all short term. But I would simply double check.

zuzu xx

Old 02-25-2005, 06:56 AM   #5
(male)

scooterboy HB User

ZUZU,

I never realized we couldn't take ibuprofin. Why is that?

Old 02-25-2005, 11:36 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Scooterboy,

It's not that you absolutely can't take ibuprofen or other nonsteroidal anti-inflammatory meds, it's that studies have been showing that these drugs may increase blood pressure (especially if taking often).

They believe that these drugs increase blood pressure by inhibiting the production of prostaglandins.

Prostaglandins are a hormone-like chemical in the body that widens blood vessels for good blood flow. So basically the theory is that if protaglandins are inhibited, blood vessels narrow..Ergo, the risk of elevating blood pressure.

If your BP is well controlled an ocassional tablet or two isn't going to hurt you. But if you find you need it frequently, talk to your doctor about it.

zuzu xx

Old 02-25-2005, 01:11 PM   #7
(male)

scooterboy HB User
Red face Re: Hp Meds/and Anti Inflammatory Pills

Sounds good, I had know idea.
Thanks!!

Old 02-28-2005, 09:16 AM   #8
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

What about cataflam (diclofenac potassium)? I started taking it, having previously used Ponstel and Naprosyn for cramps, and I have found it does not cause fluid retention for me. I read that it is better for people with HBP because it has potassium rather than sodium in it.

Closed Thread