It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-25-2005, 07:31 AM   #1
(female)

Janni HB User
Need to find a new BP medicine

I've been taking the generic for Univasc (called Moexipril), an ACE inhibitor, with fairly good results for several years. Just found out yesterday that the company which makes the generic has stopped making it and I just have 30 days of it left. My insurance doesn't cover brand-name Univasc, and I don't want to have to pay for it all on my own. So I need to switch to something else, and I just hate the idea of starting something new with unknown side-effects. A couple of years ago I tried lisinopril, and it made me so irritable I was popping off at people, and that stopped as soon as I stopped taking it and went back to Moexipril. I have always had the tickly cough with Moex. but got used to it.
Anybody have any advice as to a good ACE inhibitor with minimal side-effects? Anybody taking Capoten (Captopril)? Any info or experiences appreciated. Thanks.

Old 02-25-2005, 03:55 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: Need to find a new BP medicine

Janni,

If you've done well on Moexipril, you will probably do very well on most of the other ACEs.
Also, even though the incidence of cough is pretty similar amongst all the ACEs, some patients who experience a cough while taking one ACE Inhibitor will not necessarily experience a cough when they switch to another ACE. By having to switch you may even get rid of that cough you're so used to!!
A few studies have demonstrated that fosinopril (Brand name Monopril) may have the least incidence of cough.

ALSO, in the "Losartan In The Elderly" (ELITE) trial, comparing losartan 50 mg once daily to captopril 50 mg three times daily, losartan was associated with significantly less cough than captopril.
Comparative trials showed the same thing.

Your choices....(I'm leaving out lisinopril!) :
Benazepril*(Lotensin)
Captopril*(Capoten)
Enalapril*(Vasotec)
Fosinopril*(Monopril)
Perindopril*(Aceon)
Quinapril*(Accupril)
Ramipril*(Altace)
Trandolapril*(Mavik)

As far as I know benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, ramipril are available generically...possibly the others... not sure.

zuzu xx

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-25-2005, 05:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zuzu8

Your choices....(I'm leaving out lisinopril!) :
Benazepril*(Lotensin)
Captopril*(Capoten)
Enalapril*(Vasotec)
Fosinopril*(Monopril)
Perindopril*(Aceon)
Quinapril*(Accupril)
Ramipril*(Altace)
Trandolapril*(Mavik)

As far as I know benazepril, captopril, enalapril, fosinopril, ramipril are available generically...possibly the others... not sure.

zuzu xx
The generic for Accupril, Quinapril, just became available.

Old 02-26-2005, 09:32 AM   #4
(female)

Janni HB User

The MD recommended I try Accupril (generic) when I'm out of the Moexipril. I'm hoping that the transition will be smooth. When I started the Moex. several years ago, I just had a couple of days of being a little light-headed - and I sure hope I don't have to go through the light-headed or dizzy stage with the new one.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:59 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Janni,
You should be fine. You may want to start off of the lowest possible dose of Accupril at the very beginning for the first few days in case Moex is still in your system... Then titrate up to the maintenance dose. Something to discuss w/your doc.

zuzu xx

Old 03-02-2005, 05:49 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Boy,

They don't give up without a fight, do they?
Quote:
Patent row: Pfizer sues Ranbaxy

BS Corporate Bureau in New Delhi | February 22, 2005 09:58 IST

Pfizer has taken Ranbaxy Laboratories to court in the US, alleging infringement of its patent on Accupril (generic name: quinapril), an anti-hypertensive with annual sales of $550 million.

Teva of Israel had launched generic quinapril made by Ranbaxy in the US in December 2004.

The Ranbaxy spokesperson was not available for comment, though senior company functionaries confirmed the lawsuit had been filed. Repeated calls to Ranbaxy's US office yielded no response.

A CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets report said Pfizer filed the lawsuit in the district court of New Jersey on January 28, claiming Ranbaxy's quinapril formulation contained an ingredient that led to the infringement of a process patented by it.

It is learnt Pfizer has patented the use of lactose and microcrystalline cellulose for the stabilisation of quinapril.

Otherwise, it can degrade while tableting. In its lawsuit, Pfizer has claimed the quinapril made by Ranbaxy also uses microcrytalline cellulose, which is an infringement of its patent. Ranbaxy is yet to file a reply to the charges.

It is worth noting that Teva had earlier challenged the same process patent, which is valid till 2007. But the patent was upheld. Teva had gone on appeal against the decision. This prompted Teva to launch Ranbaxy's quinapril in the US. It is known to have captured a market of over 40 per cent since then.

Other pharmaceutical companies are also known to have launched their quinapril in the market.

About three years ago, Ranbaxy had also filed a patent application on stablising pharmaceutical compositions of ACE inhibitors like quinapril.

Ranbaxy's patent claims that one of the agents the company would use is microcrystalline cellulose. However, it is not clear if this patent has been granted.

Quinapril is not the only product over which Pfizer and Ranbaxy are locked in a legal battle. Ranbaxy has also challenged patents held by Pfizer on Lipitor, the world's largest selling drug with an annual turnover of $10 billion.

Old 03-02-2005, 05:52 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Boy oh boy,

They don't give up without a fight, do they?
Quote:
Patent row: Pfizer sues Ranbaxy

BS Corporate Bureau in New Delhi | February 22, 2005 09:58 IST

Pfizer has taken Ranbaxy Laboratories to court in the US, alleging infringement of its patent on Accupril (generic name: quinapril), an anti-hypertensive with annual sales of $550 million.

Teva of Israel had launched generic quinapril made by Ranbaxy in the US in December 2004.

The Ranbaxy spokesperson was not available for comment, though senior company functionaries confirmed the lawsuit had been filed. Repeated calls to Ranbaxy's US office yielded no response.

A CLSA Asia-Pacific Markets report said Pfizer filed the lawsuit in the district court of New Jersey on January 28, claiming Ranbaxy's quinapril formulation contained an ingredient that led to the infringement of a process patented by it.

It is learnt Pfizer has patented the use of lactose and microcrystalline cellulose for the stabilisation of quinapril.

Otherwise, it can degrade while tableting. In its lawsuit, Pfizer has claimed the quinapril made by Ranbaxy also uses microcrytalline cellulose, which is an infringement of its patent. Ranbaxy is yet to file a reply to the charges.

It is worth noting that Teva had earlier challenged the same process patent, which is valid till 2007. But the patent was upheld. Teva had gone on appeal against the decision. This prompted Teva to launch Ranbaxy's quinapril in the US. It is known to have captured a market of over 40 per cent since then.

Other pharmaceutical companies are also known to have launched their quinapril in the market.

About three years ago, Ranbaxy had also filed a patent application on stablising pharmaceutical compositions of ACE inhibitors like quinapril.

Ranbaxy's patent claims that one of the agents the company would use is microcrystalline cellulose. However, it is not clear if this patent has been granted.

Quinapril is not the only product over which Pfizer and Ranbaxy are locked in a legal battle. Ranbaxy has also challenged patents held by Pfizer on Lipitor, the world's largest selling drug with an annual turnover of $10 billion.
So now Pfizer is claiming to own the rights to CELLULOSE...the term chutzpah comes to mind.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-02-2005 at 05:53 AM.

Closed Thread