It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-26-2005, 02:30 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User
FASTING and hypertension-ASTONISHING !

Hello all,

As some of you know I am on a very low (or I try to keep it very low) sodium diet as I feel, as well as my doctor is the key to permanent lowered blood pressure. At least, in time EVERYONE will benefit.
Having said that I have been recording my BP in the evenings and mornings which runs 118/76 before bed and about 120-78 upon awakening. During the day from about 9:00AM to about 3:00PM I have a rise to approximately 148/89 on average with a slow decent till evening. During the time of ascent I take a small dose of Cozaar 25Mg. which drops it quite nicely usually within 30 minutes and then the descent continues until evening.

At any rate I tried something this morning to see if I experienced a rise by taking no food just water until 12:00 noon. AMAZINGLY I hade very little rise in BP, 130/78, but IN FACT I felt better than EVER. Those high bllod pressure feelings one feels in the head during a rise just seemed to diminish to some point and I hade very good concentration. I then ate someting at noon and BP rose to 141/84, in other words it began the ascent upward as always.

Having said that I decided to do some research on fasting and hypertension and boy was I astonished! This research involved 174 patients with High Blood pressure above 140/90 and some severely high 180ish and above. These patients went on a 2 week supervised fast with the first few days of vegatables and fruit and the remaining time of water.
There was an astonishing *60* point drop in bp and all went off meds that were taking them. After 27 weeks of the treatment 42 of the original 174 patients were contacted and the AVERAGE BP was 123/77!!
So what happened??
It is my belief anyway that healing tool place within the kidneys and they were actually acting normally. This healing was the result of no salt loads on the kidneys and lowered sustained BP.

But look for yourself:

http://www.healthpromoting.com/335-339Goldhamer115263.QXD.pdf#search='fasti ng%20and%20hypertension'

I used to fast one time a year for 3 days but got away from it. To be honest during that time I never really had to much BP problems now that I think of it.

Last edited by JIMP; 02-26-2005 at 07:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-26-2005, 02:40 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User
Re: FASTING and hypertension-ASTONISHING !

IF the above link does not work try this one. It is a PDF file:

www.healthpromoting.com/335-339Goldhamer115263.QXD.pdf

Old 02-26-2005, 03:49 PM   #3
(male)

frank619 HB User

Wow. This is amazing. Considering that they put sodium in everything nowadays, I wouldn't doubt the results. Keep us informed on how this is going with you. One question, though: I have found that whenever I skip a meal, my bp goes up. And then of course, I start getting headaches. What do you do about this? Do they diminish as you fast longer? I noticed the study said that feelings of hunger diminished after three days... Also, they used distilled water in the study. I've heard this is really bad for the human body. What have you heard?

Old 02-26-2005, 04:56 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by frank619
Wow. This is amazing. Considering that they put sodium in everything nowadays, I wouldn't doubt the results. Keep us informed on how this is going with you. One question, though: I have found that whenever I skip a meal, my bp goes up. And then of course, I start getting headaches. What do you do about this? Do they diminish as you fast longer? I noticed the study said that feelings of hunger diminished after three days... Also, they used distilled water in the study. I've heard this is really bad for the human body. What have you heard?

Yes, I (think) that when one first starts to fast BP may go up temporarily at least. And then can come a headache. When I used to go on a 2-3 day fast I never really paid that much attention to Bp as that was not why was doing it. I was doing it merely to flush out my body of toxins.
But I do remember headaches which would diminish as you continued. But I would not actually recommend just stop eating. In the study the patients ate Fruit and veggies for 3 days. I guess this kind of prepared the body for complete food removal and water only. I knew a nurse who recommended that if one fasts that they only do a fruit/vegatable fast for a week or longer if one can do so. She said it will not be as hard on the liver because toxins will be eliminated at a slower pace.
I think that a fruit veggie fast for 1 week might have tremendous affects on BP and I may try it sometime.

Yes, and hunger does actually diminish after 3 days. I've been told that food will actually look "unappealling" to you. Your breathe after 3 days will become as fresh as a newborn babies, but might be a liitle bad before. I was also told that after several days one actually reaches a state of "Euphoria", where your mind really becomes clear.

It might be best however to do some more study though. I knew a guy once who told me that the difference between a 3 day fast and 14 day fast is like taking a rake and scratching your garden as opposed to taking a "bulldozer" through it.
He said that he knew a guy who fasted for 14 days once and something came out of him that he wasn't even sure what it was. He was afraid to look! But he felt great afterward.

Old 02-26-2005, 10:05 PM   #5
(male)

dand5 HB User

Hey JIMP,

What do you all mean by fast? Do you eat a lot less or just skip breakfast?

Thanks

Old 02-27-2005, 05:22 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dand5
Hey JIMP,

What do you all mean by fast? Do you eat a lot less or just skip breakfast?

Thanks

Dand,

What I tried yesterday was just basically just skipping breakfast. I guess I did it to see how it would affect my BP as the day progressed. I had every intention on eating a meal at noon but until then I wanted to monitor my bp. Usually, I have a rise that peaks, it seems, about noon to 2:00 P.M. My bp was about 18 points lower than what it usually would be. I found that quite surprizing. After I ate of course it began going up some like usual. Bp before eating was 130/78. After eating a few hours later it was 141/84.

A true fast is going without food for a period of day or days. It is just drinking water. Believe it or not fasting at one time in history was a very common practice most notably among Church related institutions. It is a long lost practice that ought to be incorporated once in awhile into our lives, if for nothing else but health reasons.

But I think it would be good if one has real health problems like diabetes, or other such problems to consult their doctor beforehand , or do some study. But I can see no problem if one is trying to lower BP and otherwise is in fairly good health to give it a go. That is my opinion.

Let me put it this way. If I had BP that was really high like above the 160,s up into the 200's or so I would make a 2 week fast a serious consideration. But it would be nice if it was a monitored one like the article I provided. Sometimes doing something like this with others is a means of support and a challenge. That's my 2 cents.
But it doesn't mean one cannot try various modifications of fasting to see if it helps their BP.

All in all noone can argue the success. 100% of the individuals had lowered there BP and it looked to have sustained it AFTER 27 weeks of the fast. This is indeed interesting. Well actually 89% had lowered and the other 11% lowered as well but looked to have stopped earlier, so theirs was not quite as low as the others.

Closed Thread