It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 07:20 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User
1 Month BP Average

I've got an appointment w/ my doc today. Some of you may remember, but I saw a new doctor last month after my previous PCP put me on a combo BP med that I did not feel comfortable taking. My new PCP wanted me to chart my BP for a month at home and bring my cuff in at my appt. today. She also wanted to see if I could make any lifestyle changes that would bring my BP down. I was averaging right at 140/90 at my Dr's office before I quit smoking and started exercising this month. Well, I just did my averages for the month and they look like this:

AM my BP averages 116/82 w/ HR of 70
PM my BP averages 118/82 w/ HR of 70

I am obviously much happier w/ these numbers, but wonder about the "lower" pulse pressure. Sometimes my pulse pressure is as low as 25. I'm sure the anxious side of me is just looking for something to worry about, but just kind of wanted to throw the question out there

Also, everyone say a wish for me that I won't totally freak out when the DR. takes my BP and have a 160/110 BP!! ((I'm also partially worried that my cuff is totally off)) I just need to quit worring!!

Last edited by zekat; 02-28-2005 at 05:18 PM.

Old 02-28-2005, 08:00 AM   #2
(female)

sherbear24 HB User
Re: 1 Month BP Average

Zekat,
Those averages are really good. I know exactly how you feel. My bp is always in the normal range at home, but as soon as the nurse or doctor comes near me with that cuff it is a totally different story. I also took my cuff with me because I worried that it was incorrect, in fact this may sound neurotic but I bought another one about a month ago because I thought the first one was giving me incorrect readings. But no, they both read the same and my doctor reassured me that the cuff was working properly.
Good luck with your appointment today!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 08:30 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Sherbear
Thanks for your response!! I have to admit I laughed out loud at your "neurotic" behavior as I did the EXACT same thing!!! After two weeks of charting my BP at home, I was convinced the numbers were too low, so I returned my cuff and got a new one!! Like you, they were the same low numbers! *giggle*

Thank you for the "good luck" on my appointment... I think for the first time in years I'm actually looking forward to it!
Zekat

Old 02-28-2005, 09:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

zekat,

Stick to your guns. If your doctor gets numbers of 200/150 tell him with a perfectly straight face that he should keep practicing and eventually he'll get it right!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:11 PM   #5
(female)

magz0427 HB User

Zekat,
I can definitely relate!! I've become a "freak" about my BP numbers. I went to the store right after I had a high reading at the Doc's office (140/90) and bought a Bp cuff. As soon as I got home I took my BP and it was way down! I've been recording my BP readings for over a week now and my average is 105/75, but even so I'm SCARED to death of going back to the doctors office and getting another high reading! I gotta ask you this...how did you quit smoking and did you notice a great change just from quitting?? I hate to admit it, but I do smoke and I'm wondering if that would raise my BP? If so, why would it suddenly raise it? I've smoked for awhile and my BP was always great. I'm not overweight 5'6 110! ahhhh, I don't know! I just don't want to go on BP meds if I don't have to
PS. Your BP numbers are awesome!!! Let us know how you make out at the Doctor's office. We're pulling for you!!

Old 02-28-2005, 02:26 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by zekat
Sometimes my pulse rate is as low as 25 .
Are you sure this isn't a typo? If this is for real, you'd better get in line for a pacemaker. I have trouble believing this number. Also, most BP machines will only record a pulse rate down to 40.

Pal

Old 02-28-2005, 05:18 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zekat HB User

Lenin -- that's a good one - I'll have to remember that!!

Yes, Pal - that was a BIG, FAT typo!! lol. I meant to say Pulse pressure!! I blame it all on my thyroid!!

magz - I saw a HUGH drop in my blood pressure after I quit smoking. My doctor told me not to expect this, but sometimes BP does go down when people quit smoking. I definately suffer from a bit of white coat, but my new doctor is sooooo great to me!! This is my first time quitting smoking and I quit cold turkey. It's like I just made up my mind and I'm done. I cried and cried when my first PCP gave me a script for BP meds (I'm 28 and I'm already taking two thyroid pills a day for the rest of my life). when I found my new doctor and she was willing to let me see what I could do to get better numbers, I really did EVERYTHING I could. It's like my old PCP took control away from me and my new doctor gave it back to me. Even if my BP numbers had not come down, at least I would have felt like I had done EVERY thing I could to affect a change. It's tough not smoking, but it's very worth it. I miss it sometimes, but something about not smoking makes me feel so strong. I've also became addicted to burning candles!! I love to smell stuff now

As far as my appointment, I got there today and my dr's nurse took my BP two times. The first time it was 136/86. Obviously still kind of high, but we waited a couple of minutes and I took my BP with my cuff from home and it was 128/84. We waited a few more minutes and talked a bit and she took my BP with her cuff again and it was 132/84 (so it was pretty close to my BP cuff). At any rate, I felt better about these numbers. When my doctor finally came it, my BP was 122/82 in my left arm and 124/84 in my right arm. I was on CLOUD 9 and I told her how much I appreciate her and her nurse working with me on this. At this time, NO medication. My doctor said she felt good about my BP cuff and that exercise and quitting smoking really do seem to have helped.

Old 02-28-2005, 05:48 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User

Zekat,

Your BP numbers are really good and you should be proud
BUT,,,,

It looks as though you could use a little simple help that will even lower them further and even make you feel better and more confident

Sooooo

Begin watching your sodium intake. Keep it down as best you can and you will see those number drop into optimal ranges

Closed Thread