It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2005, 08:07 AM   #1
(female)

sherbear24 HB User
Arm position while taking bp?

Hi all,
I was just wondering if any of you have thought the same thing. How come at the doctor's office when they take your bp they allow your arm just to dangle when the correct way is to have your arm lying flat at the height of your heart with palm up?? I've tested it out at home and sure enough my bp is always higher when I just let my arm dangle to my side. Sometimes considerably more, but when my arm is at heart level my bp is in the normal to low range. Anyone else have insight to this. Am I wrong about the arm needing to be in a resting position?

Old 02-28-2005, 08:09 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

MellyMel HB User
Re: Arm position while taking bp?

Quote:
Originally Posted by sherbear24
Hi all,
I was just wondering if any of you have thought the same thing. How come at the doctor's office when they take your bp they allow your arm just to dangle when the correct way is to have your arm lying flat at the height of your heart with palm up?? I've tested it out at home and sure enough my bp is always higher when I just let my arm dangle to my side. Sometimes considerably more, but when my arm is at heart level my bp is in the normal to low range. Anyone else have insight to this. Am I wrong about the arm needing to be in a resting position?
No, you are correct and that is the way that they should be doing it. I don't think it should make a HUGE difference, but it is important to definately do it the correct way.

Melly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-28-2005, 09:05 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

ABSOLUTELY CORRECT, the arm must be comfortably supported with the elbow at exactly heart level.
My cardiologist tried a technique where he caught my arm between his arm and body with my hand sticking out behind him, as he pumped the old sphig. That felt clumsy for me, sort of both supported and NOT really supported, so I patted his *** with the hanging hand and I'm sure HE felt equally clumsy. But I think he got my point.
I'm not making this up!!
We both laughed, I more comfortably than HE.

At home I use the nice padded armrest on a Lazy Boy and I recline.

Last edited by Lenin; 02-28-2005 at 09:09 AM.

Old 02-28-2005, 07:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

I totally agree with Lenin and MellyMel.

It's astounding how many clinicians (and this includes nurses too.. who usually know better!) do not take BP properly.

If a table is not available (and it usually isn't) INSIST that whoever is monitoring you, cradle your arm in such a way that it requires no isometrics on your part to hold it aloft. Let your arm be a DEAD WEIGHT. The slightest tensing of the arm on your part can skew readings.

zuzu xx

Closed Thread