It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-01-2005, 07:54 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

JIMP HB User
Calpis Milk

This is interesting. A sour Milk that the Japanese use has been shown to lower blood pressure.
In one other study I had it showed Calpis milk to lower blood pressure by up to 15 points.
I do not know of anywhere in the U.S. that sells this but if I am not mistaken buttermilk might be similar.

Study:

[url]http://jds.fass.org/cgi/content/abstract/78/6/1253[/url]

Also:

Sour milk reduces blood pressure
TOKYO, JAPAN. Calpis sour milk has been used traditionally in Japan for many years. It is prepared by fermenting skim milk with a starter culture containing Lactobacillus helveticus and Saccharomyces cerevisiae. The fermented milk contains about 0.7 billion L. helveticus and 2.5 million S. cerevisiae cells per milliliter. Researchers at the Kyorin University School of Medicine have discovered that Calpis sour milk is effective in lowering blood pressure in patients with hypertension. Their experiment involved 30 hypertensive patients, 26 of which were receiving antihypertensive medication such as calcium antagonists, beta- blockers, diuretics, and ACE inhibitors. Seventeen of the patients were fed 95 ml of Calpis sour milk daily for an eight-week period. The remaining 13 patients were given a placebo sour milk prepared by adding lactic acid to skim milk. At the end of the trial period the systolic blood pressure in the Calpis milk group had decreased by an average of 14.1 mm Hg and diastolic pressure by 6.9 mm Hg. No significant blood pressure changes were observed in the placebo group. The blood pressure decreases in the Calpis milk group remained four weeks after the end of treatment. The researchers conclude that daily supplementation with sour milk is a useful and practical way of reducing blood pressure in patients with hypertension. NOTE: This work was done in cooperation with Calpis Food Industry Co., the manufacturer of Calpis sour milk.
Hata, Yoshiya, et al. A placebo-controlled study of the effect of sour milk on blood pressure in hypertensive subjects. American Journal of Clinical Nutrition, Vol. 64, November 1996, pp. 767- 71

Last edited by JIMP; 03-01-2005 at 08:05 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-02-2005, 05:34 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Calpis Milk

Hmmm, Thanks JIMP,

I've made KEFIR for years now and have a small glass every day. Maybe I'll up that to 2 glasses.
(KEFIR is a fermented milk with an EXTREMELY large group of probiotics (dozens) including bacteria, fungi and yeasts. MANY health claims have been made for it over the centuries.)
A sample:
LACTOBACILLI
Lb. acidophilus
Lb. brevis
Lb. casei
Lb. casei subsp. rhamnosus
Lb. casei subsp. pseudoplantarum
Lb. paracasei subsp. paracasei
Lb. cellobiosus
Lb. delbrueckii subsp. bulgaricus
Lb. delbrueckii subsp. lactis
Lb. fructivorans
Lb. helveticus subsp. lactis
Lb. hilgardii
Lb. kefiri
Lb. kefiranofaciens
Lb. kefirgranum sp. nov*
Lb. parakefir sp. nov*
Lb. lactis
Lb. plantarum

STREPTOCOCCI/LACTOCOCCI
Lactococci lactis subsp. lactis
Lc. lactis var. diacetylactis
Lc. lactis subsp. cremoris
Streptococci salivarius subsp. thermophilus
Strep. lactis
Enterococcus durans
Leuconostoc cremoris
Leuc. mesenteroides

YEASTS
Candida kefir
C. pseudotropicalis
C. rancens
C. tenuis
Kluyveromyces lactis
Kluyveromyces marxianus var. marxianus
K. bulgaricus
K. fragilis / marxianus
Saccharomyces subsp. Torulopsis holmii
Saccharomyces lactis
Sacc. carlsbergensis
Sacc. unisporus
Debaryomyces hansenii**
Zygosaccharomyces rouxii**

ACETOBACTER
Acetobacter aceti
A. rasens

Last edited by Lenin; 03-02-2005 at 05:37 AM.

Closed Thread