It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-03-2005, 05:24 AM   #1
Inactive

shorty04 HB User
High Blood Pressure at 16!?!?!?

I am 16 years old. And I am so confused right now. Okay here it goes:
A few months ago they had a blood drive at my school, so I decided to go. I wasn't nervous at all. The lady said my blood pressure was too high, it was something like 140/102. She said the bottom number, I forget the word they used has to be under 100. I went to the doctor last Wednesday (2/23). And they did it like what seemed like 100 million times, and it was around 140/90 etc... So the doctor told me to get one to have at home, so I can do it twice a day (well I do it like 12 times a day until I get a number I'm satisfied with lol). I have been keeping track, and the last reading I took was this morning and it was 128/83... which seems okay but someone high right? Well anyway the point of this is that there is another blood drive in a week (3/10), and I really want to give. Because if it is the 128/83 one I probably can give. But how do I keep it down there and not like at 140 over something? I only have a week. What really gets me is that I have none of the risk factors for HBP. It's kind of hard to change your lifestyle when you don't have the problems like being overweigt, salt intake (I hate salt, I have never added it to any thing, yet my dad does and his is like 103/60...) Anyway I don't have any of the risk factors, so I don't know what to do about it, and I really want to give blood!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-05-2005, 05:13 PM   #2
(female)

purplekano HB User
Re: High Blood Pressure at 16!?!?!?

Hi

My daughter was diagnosed at age 15 with severe high blood pressure. Her highest was 176/122 but the average was usually about 169/116. I have never used any salt either when I cook but its surprising how much salt is in everything else you eat like any kind of easy to cook prepared food from the grocery store. She went through test after test (at one point they thought she had a brain tumor because the blood pressure gave her such severe headaches and optic nerve pressure behind her eyes) to see what was causing her high blood pressure, but nothing ever came of it. She is now on 3 different medications and is doing fine

Closed Thread