It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 08:41 AM   #1
(male)

mikey51 HB User
Hypertensive heart disease

Well my doctor finally gave me a diagnoisis after 2.5 months of hell..
Hypertensive Heart Disease. I am on benicar for the BP and toprol xl for the high pulse rate which he doesn't have a clue as to why I have it, but it is controlled.

Anyway I finally have a starting place, so what do I do to live a long life with this problem?

By the way all arteries and veins leading to the heart are clear.

Any help appreciated

Old 03-04-2005, 09:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Hypertensive heart disease

mikey,

You are going to pin him down on his use of the phrase. If he means HYPERTENSION, then he should have his shingle pulled for overstating the case (like "drop dead from a stroke" kind of nonsense.)

It's a loose term but generally
Quote:
HYPERTENSIVE HEART DISEASE

Background: Uncontrolled and prolonged elevation of blood pressure (BP) can lead to a variety of changes in the myocardial structure, coronary vasculature, and conduction system of the heart. These changes can lead to development of left ventricular hypertrophy (LVH), coronary artery disease, various conduction system diseases, and systolic and diastolic dysfunction of the myocardium, which present clinically as angina or myocardial infarction, cardiac arrhythmias (especially atrial fibrillation), and congestive heart failure (CHF). Hypertensive heart disease thus is a term applied generally to heart diseases, such as LVH, coronary artery disease, cardiac arrhythmias, and CHF, caused by direct or indirect effects of elevated BP. Although these diseases generally develop in response to chronically elevated BP, marked, acute elevation of BP also can lead to accentuation of an underlying predisposition to any of the symptoms traditionally associated with chronic hypertension.
You need to see an EXPERT cardiologist to determine where in this spectrum you lie...from relatively benign (uncomplicated hypertension) to the most serious (probably heart failure.)
Your GP is probably WAY out of his league here!

Please don't let the term throw you for a loop until you get some hard facts...clean arteries are a big plus in your favor.

Here's a COMPLETELY non-commercial link that is specific to this topic and quite thorough by Drs. Riaz, Forker and Ahmed:
[url]http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3432.htm[/url]

Last edited by Lenin; 03-04-2005 at 09:56 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 10:03 AM   #3
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
mikey,

You are going to pin him down on his use of the phrase. If he means HYPERTENSION, then he should have his shingle pulled for overstating the case (like "drop dead from a stroke" kind of nonsense.)

It's a loose term but generally

You need to see an EXPERT cardiologist to determine where in this spectrum you lie...from relatively benign (uncomplicated hypertension) to the most serious (probably heart failure.)
Your GP is probably WAY out of his league here!

Please don't let the term throw you for a loop until you get some hard facts...clean arteries are a big plus in your favor.
That is the problem Lenin, he is a cardiologist and as of yesterday he is history. I am going to my PCP on monday and demand I be sent to someone else. I have learned a lot in these past two and half months of hell that this goober has caused me and I am now ready to get in some peoples face if they can't make a precise daignoisis..

I just kills me that he can tell me that every part of my heart is working perfectly, but I still have a disease. But when I ask where the disease lurks I get these words-----UNCLEAR

Old 03-04-2005, 11:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

mikey,

You are right then to seek out a new cardiologist. Make SURE your insurance company is ok with duplicating any tests and the like.
You want to know as a bare minimum what your ejection fraction is, and what is the condition of your kidney functioning. Have a stress-echo (with markers) run if you feel up to it.

How do you FEEL, Mike? Can you exercise, run, bike?

Betcha the NEW guy says there's nothing wrong with your heart; you have high blood pressure (just a stab in the dark here!)

Some self-important doctors might use the term HYPERTENSIVE HEART DISEASE to justify the several hundred dollars they charge for their 30 minutes in the Sun...sounds better than old DOC HOMESPUN saying: "You've got a little PRESSURE, sonny"

Last edited by Lenin; 03-04-2005 at 11:48 AM.

Closed Thread