It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-04-2005, 09:04 AM   #1
(female)

las7715 HB User
Hawthorn (Crataegus Laevigata)

Has anyone tried this herb for lowering BP and has it worked for you?

Last edited by las7715; 03-04-2005 at 09:05 AM.

Old 03-04-2005, 09:30 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Hawthorn (Crataegus Laevigata)

las,

No, but are you talking about the herb and it's berries or the "homoepathic" remedy...which of course is placebo and requires BELIEF?
Hawthorn seems to be a pretty potent sedative and BP lowerer; maybe I'll look into it?
Does one typically do it as a tea, or crushed berries...maybe over some Haagen Dasz???

That reminds me; I have a bottle of Valerian (ohh the gaggy smell) that's ALSO a sedative...maybe I should see what it does for my BP.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-04-2005 at 09:34 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-04-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

las7715 HB User

I don't know much about it, I'm going to go pick the brain of the guy at the Vitamin Shoppe. According to my pharmacist I would want the kind that's called that name in parenthesis in my title line that I can't pronounce. I don't know if that is berries, tea or what. I hope it is just a capsule which I can swallow though.

Old 03-04-2005, 11:35 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Oh dear, picking the brain of the guy at Vitamin Shoppe is going to take a MIGHTY small pair of tweezers indeed. Although I DO like the chain, I wouldn't DREAM of asking about a product other than "Do you HAVE it?"
THey print a NICE catalogue!

Old 03-07-2005, 07:45 AM   #5

mrmojo HB User

I tried hawthorne for 7 weeks, its supposed to do something within 6, if anything my BP went up slightly

from what i have read when it works it works good, but some people it wont do anything, and i found one site that said something about not mixing it with a diuretic

its supposedly the most prescribed blood pressure med in europe

Old 03-07-2005, 08:08 AM   #6

mrmojo HB User

Lenin - Valerian is next on my list of things to try

I am currently trying hibiscus tea, sometimes it seems like it works & other times nothing happens

I'm leaning toward thinking my BP is stress related since even when i was on meds different things will initially lower my bp then after a while dont do anything

if i have one scotch my bp drops right down to the higher end of the normal range

a friend of mine recently started taking something called hyprava, its a mix of several herbs & pretty expensive, she is middle aged & overweight (not reall bad) & hers is now running 110/60, she was going to try to wean off the toprol which never worked very well for her anyway

Old 03-07-2005, 11:24 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(male)

mojo,
Trying to separate stress from hypertension is like trying to separate Unca Scrooge from his money...
Unfortunately there's a word for a state of no stress: death!

Let's both see what we get with chamomile?? I have TONS of it!

Old 03-27-2005, 09:17 AM   #8
Inactive
(female)

dreamer89 HB User

I took hawthrone berry and ginko biloba and I was surprised when after a few weeks my pressure was being consistent at 130'-140's/80's My pressure usually is in the 200/100's range.

I know it wasn't placebo because I wasn't expecting it, I was only doing a trial run with it just to see, but alas the side effect were comparable to avapro or calcium channel blockers as far as fatigue and exercise intolerance is concerned, no swelling by the way was evident.

the side effects was why I quit (and I was only taking 2 pills a day) but then after a while my pressure shot up to the stage 3 and 4 ranges. so now I am trying a beta blocker but I just might go back to the herbs instead since I read some horrible things about torprol, will consult my doctor tomorrow none the less..

RR

Closed Thread