It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 05:30 AM   #1
(female)

strong_one HB User
High BP in the morning

Hi all again!! I'm returning after successful months of lower BP but recently its been creeping up again. One reason I think is because I have been experimenting with my Chlondine. I take 1/2 in the morning my lisinopril 20mg at noon and another 1/2 in the evening. My problem is my BP rises to around 150/101 when the dose wears off. In the morning before I take it - it is always high! 150/110 at its highest. Do you think I need to take a higher doseage of chlondine? Also, I take my BP as soon as I get up - is that ok. Once I notice I move around the house it goes lower to about 140/95 and up.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:43 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: High BP in the morning

I'd try to get the dosage exactly 8 hours apart since it seems to wear off in that time. THus first thing on arising and then maybe mid afternoon and LAST thing at night. Sleep 8 hours and you're ready for your morning dose!
For example: 7AM, 3PM, 11PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 06:16 AM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
I'd try to get the dosage exactly 8 hours apart since it seems to wear off in that time. THus first thing on arising and then maybe mid afternoon and LAST thing at night. Sleep 8 hours and you're ready for your morning dose!
For example: 7AM, 3PM, 11PM.
That sounds like a good plan. I took my BP this early AM 6:00 and my BP was 150/105. After I take my meds the clonidine, it goes down almost 20 points on both! Go figure!!! I'm only on .01 mg...I'm wondering if I need an adjustment. The lisinopril doesn't seem as if its doing anything.

Old 03-07-2005, 08:37 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I thought I read you should not take your bp immediately upon getting up in the morning. I thought you were supposed to wait a bit.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Old 03-07-2005, 11:19 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Mine ALWAYS spikes when I first get out of bed and I think that's a pretty normal repsonse.

Old 03-07-2005, 01:03 PM   #6
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I thought I read you should not take your bp immediately upon getting up in the morning. I thought you were supposed to wait a bit.

Can anyone confirm or deny this?

I usually wait until I have a little oatmeal or breakfast then take it. Just an update, my BP has been kinda high again. It was running like this with my meds. 150/101 in the am this morning - took my 1/2 pill of clonidine at 7:00am. Went to work, took my BP, it was a bit better 140/95. Took my Lisinopril 20 mg after taking my BP at around 9:30 - 10ish. Then came home for lunch to telecommute and BP on home monitor is 150/105! What the heck!!! I took the other 1/2 now to see if that does anything. I'm tolerating the sleepiness now and I'm wondering if I need to get an adjustment to the clonidine since it seems to be the only med helping me out. The lisinopril...could that be rising my BP????

Old 03-08-2005, 07:27 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Sounds like lisinopril isn't doing much for you - you've had trouble finding meds that work without side effects haven't you? When I was trying various drugs, there were some which raised my blood pressure, which seems counterintuitive, but it happened to me. So I guess it is not out of the question it might be happening to you.

On the other hand, maybe your dose of lisinopril is not high enough. I don't know what the range of dosing is, others more knowledgeable than me can tell you.

1/2 of a .1mg of clonidine twice a day isn't much. I take .1mg three times a day.

Old 03-08-2005, 09:38 PM   #8
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Sounds like lisinopril isn't doing much for you - you've had trouble finding meds that work without side effects haven't you? When I was trying various drugs, there were some which raised my blood pressure, which seems counterintuitive, but it happened to me. So I guess it is not out of the question it might be happening to you.

On the other hand, maybe your dose of lisinopril is not high enough. I don't know what the range of dosing is, others more knowledgeable than me can tell you.

1/2 of a .1mg of clonidine twice a day isn't much. I take .1mg three times a day.
Well, I was thinking my clonidine wasn't enough. I took a whole clonidine this AM and my bp was around 140/95 but it went down in the afternoon. This is how I took it - in the am I took my lisinopril before anything. Took my clonidine around 11:00 or so. I hate to see what my BP is going to be tomorrow morning.

Old 03-09-2005, 04:00 AM   #9
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

It's hard to say whether your lisinopril is doing anything or not. I, too, question whether you are properly dosed on lisinopril. The normal dosage range is 20-40 mg. And, it can be used up to 80. The thing is that while your lisinopril by itself may not be doing anything, without it, your clonidine may not work as effectively.

I can't remember all your history.... Have you tried a diuretic with your lisinopril? The normal progression would be to up the dose of lisinopril to 40, then add in a diuretic. Then, maybe, clonidine.

Pal

Old 03-09-2005, 07:30 AM   #10
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
It's hard to say whether your lisinopril is doing anything or not. I, too, question whether you are properly dosed on lisinopril. The normal dosage range is 20-40 mg. And, it can be used up to 80. The thing is that while your lisinopril by itself may not be doing anything, without it, your clonidine may not work as effectively.

I can't remember all your history.... Have you tried a diuretic with your lisinopril? The normal progression would be to up the dose of lisinopril to 40, then add in a diuretic. Then, maybe, clonidine.

Pal
My Lisinopril is at 20mg once a day...my clonidine is .01 mg once per day. I had been 1/2ing it due to severe sleepiness but I've taken the full pill the past few days with not being so sleepy. I did take a diuretic and I got soo sick!!! It caused me to get fast heartbeats and my arms and legs would get so weak and I felt as if I were in a fog all day. At that time I was on 20 mg of lisinopril along with hydrochlorothiazide. I can't remember the doseage.

Anyway, I'm stuck. My clonidine seems to be the only med that may work....but I thought complimenting it with the lisinopril will do much better. Still don't know what could be causing the spikes.

Old 03-09-2005, 07:37 AM   #11
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Are you or your doctor reluctant to up your lisinopril to 40 mg per day? I'd maybe consider that first before dropping it altogether - unless you've tried it before and had some negative reaction.

Old 03-10-2005, 05:27 AM   #12
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Are you or your doctor reluctant to up your lisinopril to 40 mg per day? I'd maybe consider that first before dropping it altogether - unless you've tried it before and had some negative reaction.
Well, after my echocardiograhm and blood tests, she didn't say anything was wrong with those tests so she didn't adjust my meds.

Closed Thread