It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2005, 07:53 PM   #1
(male)

BPJD36 HB User
METOPROLOL Blood Pressure medicine...Listen to This ???????

My Father has high blood pressure and hes on like 3 pills but Metoprolol is the one Pill that is destroying him, he has every side effect BAD to...he cant sleep at all, Tired, Weak, Cant Stand the Cold , Stomach Upset and the main one is he is having a hard time breathing, im just glad i caught it now cause some of his side effects r serious ...hes been on this pill over 2 months ..My dad does ahve a sickness but was getting better ...this pill made him worse and hes getting off of it as soon as possible...He was fine befo4 he started taking this pill, he was sick but this Pill got him so SICK..and i just found out last night by reading up on it and the DOC has to take him off of it now, I kno its the pill because he wasnt like this until he started taking the pill and he has just about every side effect.

Anybody have any information about this Pill or have any Experiences with it?

Thanks

Last edited by BPJD36; 03-06-2005 at 07:55 PM.

Old 03-07-2005, 05:53 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: METOPROLOL Blood Pressure medicine...Listen to This ???????

My brushes with beta-blockers have been propranolol (Inderal), nadolol (Corgard), and atenolol (Tenormin.)
All three have caused similar symptoms as your father is experiencing with just a few differences:

propranolol was the easiest because it wore off fast and I could take it morning afternoon and STILL sleep.

atenolol had me awake for a month with NEVER more than 3 hours sleep a night

nadolol has an almost INFINITE (exaggerated) half life so when I built up the amount in my body by adding more and more every day I got to the point where I could bearly walk and it took many days to recover even after I stopped. But that one let me sleep...A LOT!

So look for the metropolol to have elements of the three I described and probably some of it's own.

It's a dreadful class of drugs to take for just uncomplicated hypertension. Consider it only with arryhtmias or angina AND hypertension. Probaly wise to ween off it when he decides to stop...maybe 1/2 dose for a week.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-07-2005, 08:46 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

My experience with a beta blocker came with Toprol. I had nausea, sensitivity to cold, increase in blood pressure and blood pressure spikes. Didn't seem to affect my sleep, except when I woke up in the middle of the night with a blood pressure spike, which was almost every night for a while.

Your dad needs to wean off the drug slowly, otherwise he could have rebound hypertension which might be dangerous.

Old 03-29-2005, 02:36 PM   #4
(female)

pete0303 HB User

My experience with beta blockers has been horrible, I am years old and DR started me on inderal took it for a year my insurance changed and wouldnt pay for it Dr changed me to lopressor.I wound up in the hospital with chest pain months age Heart catheterization revealed no blockages tenorman prescribed with diovan. months later my thyroid has quit working and i am in a helluva shape thanks to their beta blockers. By the way, none of the betas lowered my BP Diovan so far has been great, Take your dad to a different DR if yours wont hear you out. I have went through in months but finally have found a holistic dr who will listen He started me on what i need for thyroid. Funny that all these beta blockers i was on are known to have adverse effects on thyroid. My dr prescribed them and never once ran a blood test to see what was up. She nearly killed me, GET A NEW DR if yours wont listen

Old 03-30-2005, 08:08 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

34 with no heart problems at all and perfect blood tests. I am going to wean off of Atenolol. The side-effects are far worse than the good parts of the drug. I will wean slowly. I think that my B/P can be fine with Lotrel 5/20 & anxiety meds. I will wean when these nasty cuts that I got from bowling heal.

Old 03-30-2005, 02:11 PM   #6
(male)

rigel434 HB User

Yet another beta blocker horror story. I despise the stuff. You couldn't pay me enough to take Inderal again.

Old 03-30-2005, 04:54 PM   #7
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Rigel,

It just goes to show you how everyone reacts differently to meds. My brother has been taking Inderal for 18 years and has not one complaint. He is 75 years old and you would never guess it.

Old 04-01-2005, 06:58 AM   #8
(female)

fainter20 HB User

I am 20, and have been on Toprol for about 10 months. I have the ichiest, most irritated legs in the world and am always freezing! I can put 15 layers on and still shiver. And sleep!! I can't get enough, I can't wake up in the morning, I sleep through my classes and I fall asleep on my friends couches when I hang out with them! Plus, And may I remind you, I'm 20, I have NO sex drive what-so-ever! I didn't have these problems before starting Toprol. Granted I am a college student and sleep has always been an issue, but never to this extreme.

Old 04-01-2005, 08:39 AM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

When I told this to my 1st doc. along with the other GI Problems+ associated with beta-blockers, he said no big deal. I said that I have to travel over 1300 miles to see my g/f. It is a problem. He said that it was a good drug. Switched to Atenolol from doc. #3 even though my numbers range from 108/61-65 to 119/75 on Lotrel as well. The only thing that has helped is Xanax. It may be addictive (I take 2 mgs), but at least the docs. let you know that. They don't tell you how hard it is to get off of Atenolol. Atenolol & Toprol did nothing really for my b/p but gave me lots of side-effects, Lotrel brings it down a little, Xanax handles my anxiety which is the cause of my HBP. Why don't they treat the anxiety 1st???? After a million blood tests you would think that they would know. Those clinical trials are humorous. It seems that a lot more people taking beta-blockers have all kinds of side effects. Being 34 & feeling 94 is a major problem.... much more than having B/P that is 134-140/80 un-treated.........

Old 04-26-2005, 12:09 AM   #10
(male)

photo2001 HB User

I am taking metoprolol, vasotec, and xanax for high BP and anxiety. My doc doubled my dosage of metoprolol about a year ago because of heart palpitations. Lately I am feeling lousy and I am almost positive it's the metoprolol. Numbness in hands, lightheadedness, cold all over, constant fatigue, generally crummy. I am going to call my doc about this tomorrow. I have already cut my dosage in half because I can't take this.

Old 04-26-2005, 05:34 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

From people I know, a HORRIBLE-HORRIBLE combination is any beta-blocker + any benzodiazepine tranquilizer (xananx, ativan, halcion.)

Panic, anxiety, and suicidal ideation seem to occur at an alarming rate.

Read DARKNESS VISIBLE by William Styron. He talks about falling into a LONG suicidal depression from the combo ativan-atenolol. That was the SAME combo my mother was on for years and she would awaken in sheer panic at 3 AM just like an alarm clock had gone off.

Old 04-26-2005, 08:21 PM   #12
(female)

amielia HB User

new at this site.bear with me. my bp has been running 158/90 my pulse is over 100 to 114. dr put me on bencar 20 mg then 40mg neither my bp or pluse came down. so he put me diltiazem 120mg was on for week still nothing. called him today now he wants me to take to diltiazem.so that 240mg a day. i am confused and can't sleep at night so he gave me ativan o.5 and ambien 5mg. i was taking ativan and amben before i started the bencar. nothing has taken it down.they have not given me a ekg for nothing to check my heart. i am frigthend that i am going to end up with a stroke. he doesn't want to see my for two weeks. is any of these meds going to take affect. i am 58 years old.

Last edited by amielia; 04-26-2005 at 08:49 PM.

Old 04-26-2005, 10:46 PM   #13
(male)

photo2001 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
From people I know, a HORRIBLE-HORRIBLE combination is any beta-blocker + any benzodiazepine tranquilizer (xananx, ativan, halcion.)

Panic, anxiety, and suicidal ideation seem to occur at an alarming rate.

Read DARKNESS VISIBLE by William Styron. He talks about falling into a LONG suicidal depression from the combo ativan-atenolol. That was the SAME combo my mother was on for years and she would awaken in sheer panic at 3 AM just like an alarm clock had gone off.
Thank you for the info. I can relate to all the symptoms you mention. It seems like every bad thing about these meds are hitting me.

Regarding William Styron, I saw him discuss his depression on an HBO special a few years ago. I didn't remember that the meds were the cause. I've cut my metoprolol in half to 50mg/day to hopefully wean off it completely, but I've still got to discuss the whole thing with my doc.

Old 04-27-2005, 05:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

Photo,
Grab the VERY SHORT book from the library...It's a FASCINATING read.

amelia,
AGAIN we have another doctor who wants to play stupid games with ARB's and Calcium channel blockers and then throwing in sleeping pills and tranquilizers. I think the term PILL PUSHER should get get used more often...maybe EXPENSIVE PILL PUSHERS is more telling (check the PRICE on AMBIEN!)

Amelia,
I think you might do better on a beta-blocker <since you have a high heart rate> and/or hydrochlorothiazide (a diuretic .) You must take control or this jerk will work you through ever increasing doses of ARB'sa and CCB's that are NOT doing the job...adding sleeping pills is NOT the way to treat hypertension.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-27-2005 at 05:20 AM.

Old 04-27-2005, 06:30 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Amelia,

I am going to strongly agree with Lenin here. I have tried MANY BP meds and it is usually good to try one at a time possibly 2 at the most in small doses to see how they work. Your BP is really not that bad to warrant so much meds.
I bet a Beta Blocker will work very well for you. Personally I find them wonderful , I use Atenolol when I get heart palps and it knocks them right out and lowers BP. Others have problems with them however as we are all different. They slow my heart down much to much though so my search continues but until then they do the best I have come across.

Lenin,

Do you know what the half life of Atenolol is by chance?
I have also been told that some Betas can raise blood glucose levels. Would you have info?

Closed Thread