It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-08-2005, 12:59 PM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
wine and dried fruit sulfates cause bp, pulse spikes?

I tried posting this in the allergies forum, but haven't gotten a response.

I have seasonal allergies to pollens and dust, and may have some wheat allergy - if I eat of lot of white bread in particular, I get gassy.

For the last couple years when I drink a glass or 2 of wine (I think both red and white), I have gotten headaches within a few hours. I thought this was dehydration.

At Christmas I had with dinner about a glass and a half of wine, I think it was red. A couple hours or so after that, I noticed my heart racing. I took my bp, which was also elevated significantly. Both returned to normal after several hours. (No headache though!) On New Year's Eve, I had some champaign (pink I think), and I drank about 3/4 of a glass very slowly, over a couple hours. Again, later that night, I noticed elevated heart rate and blood pressure, requiring a couple 3 hours to go back to normal.

I've not had any wine since, I don't drink beer, and I haven't tried hard liquor, so I don't know if this comes from wine in particular, or alcohol in general.

I've been trying to eat a more healthy diet, and in trying to get more fruit into my diet, I started trying to eat dried fruit. I ate a lot of dried apricots on Saturday and Sunday (takes a lot of them to make one serving of 1/4 cup!) Sunday night I woke up at about 2:30 with a pulse and blood pressure spike. Reminded me of the bad old days of Toprol. I didn't take any additional clonidine, and both pulse and bp slowly went back towards normal after about a half an hour.

Monday morning I had a small amount of dried apricots with breakfast, and noticed somewhat elevated pulse and bp for a good part of the day. This got me thinking maybe the pulse and pb spikes were from the dried fruit, and I have not eaten any since. My pulse and bp have returned and remained in my normal medicated range since.

The only commonalities between wine and the dried fruit is that sulfates are used as preservatives. I checked the apricots which list the sulfates. I haven't check the wine and champaign, but I do know sulfates are sometimes used as preservatives in red wine.

I did a search on sulfate sensitivity symptoms, and did not find blood pressure or heartrate elevation listed. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, as we all know about blood pressure meds and their listed and unlisted side effects!

So, has anyone experienced bp and pulse spikes from sulfates in food/drink?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-08-2005, 01:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: wine and dried fruit sulfates cause bp, pulse spikes?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
I tried posting this in the allergies forum, but haven't gotten a response.

I have seasonal allergies to pollens and dust, and may have some wheat allergy - if I eat of lot of white bread in particular, I get gassy.

For the last couple years when I drink a glass or 2 of wine (I think both red and white), I have gotten headaches within a few hours. I thought this was dehydration.

At Christmas I had with dinner about a glass and a half of wine, I think it was red. A couple hours or so after that, I noticed my heart racing. I took my bp, which was also elevated significantly. Both returned to normal after several hours. (No headache though!) On New Year's Eve, I had some champaign (pink I think), and I drank about 3/4 of a glass very slowly, over a couple hours. Again, later that night, I noticed elevated heart rate and blood pressure, requiring a couple 3 hours to go back to normal.

I've not had any wine since, I don't drink beer, and I haven't tried hard liquor, so I don't know if this comes from wine in particular, or alcohol in general.

I've been trying to eat a more healthy diet, and in trying to get more fruit into my diet, I started trying to eat dried fruit. I ate a lot of dried apricots on Saturday and Sunday (takes a lot of them to make one serving of 1/4 cup!) Sunday night I woke up at about 2:30 with a pulse and blood pressure spike. Reminded me of the bad old days of Toprol. I didn't take any additional clonidine, and both pulse and bp slowly went back towards normal after about a half an hour.

Monday morning I had a small amount of dried apricots with breakfast, and noticed somewhat elevated pulse and bp for a good part of the day. This got me thinking maybe the pulse and pb spikes were from the dried fruit, and I have not eaten any since. My pulse and bp have returned and remained in my normal medicated range since.

The only commonalities between wine and the dried fruit is that sulfates are used as preservatives. I checked the apricots which list the sulfates. I haven't check the wine and champaign, but I do know sulfates are sometimes used as preservatives in red wine.

I did a search on sulfate sensitivity symptoms, and did not find blood pressure or heartrate elevation listed. That doesn't mean it doesn't happen, as we all know about blood pressure meds and their listed and unlisted side effects!

So, has anyone experienced bp and pulse spikes from sulfates in food/drink?
Another commonality could be how your body is handling the impact on your blood sugar caused by the carbohydrates in the wine and the fruit, and by the alcohol in the wine.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:18 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I don't have that reaction to eating other carbs. I can eat a large fresh apple or a baked potato, or a bunch of corn chips for example and I don't get the spikes. Sweets like an iced cupcake with real ice cream don't do it either.

Old 03-08-2005, 02:41 PM   #4

mrmojo HB User

some people are allergic to sulfates, i'm glad i'm not one of them because I have at least 1 glass of wine every nite with dinner

too many sulfates in wine will cause one hell of a headache, sutter home brands are especially bad

go to a good liquor store & see if they have any wine that doesnt have the standard warning "may contain sulfites" or one with a label that specificly says it doesnt have any - they are added as a preservative & some of the better winemakers refuse to use them

drink that & see what happens

Old 03-08-2005, 03:42 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
I don't have that reaction to eating other carbs. I can eat a large fresh apple or a baked potato, or a bunch of corn chips for example and I don't get the spikes. Sweets like an iced cupcake with real ice cream don't do it either.
You convinced me when you mentioned that you could eat a baked potato. I can't. I would give my boss's left arm to be able to eat a baked potato without suffering from breathing difficulties.

Do you also have problems with lunch meats? I've given up on eating lunch meats because it raises my blood pressure and causes my heart to misfire. I wonder if the problem could be the sulfates?

Old 03-08-2005, 04:43 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I get the same reaction to red wine (don't know about white cause I don't care for it) I finally gave up on drinking it a few years ago. I never had more than a small glass.
Got the headace and racing pulse every time. I used to eat dried fruit some times but I never noticed any reaction to that.
Cass

Old 03-08-2005, 11:34 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Beerzoids,

Am thinking it's also the enormous amt. of sodium in lunch meat that raises the ol' BP as well as the sulfates.

zuzu xx

Old 03-08-2005, 11:45 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

To all you dried fruit lovers out there....

Whole Foods Markets (and others similar) sell GREAT sulfite-free, preservative-free dried fruit goodies.

I was brought up on sulfite-loaded dried apricots and LOVED them... and one day my best friend saw me still eating them and yelled at me ("why do you still eat that crap??").
Next day she left a package of apricots from Whole Foods on my doorstep.

First few bites tasted weird!

[Hmmm, Uhh. tasted like...umm..maybe more like....let's see......APRICOTS?]

I grew to love them and can't stand the taste of the other stuff now.

zuzu xx

Old 03-09-2005, 08:10 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Thanks Cassiebel, I'm sorry it happened to you, but its nice to know I'm not nuts.

I really hope it will go away one day soon. I went on vacation and brought back a bunch of wine from a small brewery in another state that I can't get in Ohio. I really want to be able to drink it some time! I should go and read the labels - maybe they aren't made with sulfates!

Old 03-09-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Beerzoids, sorry you can't enjoy a baked potato. That would simply kill my boyfriend. To him it isn't dinner unless it has bread and potatoes. Sometimes he will substitute rice or something like mac and cheese, but most of the week its some form of potato.

Old 03-09-2005, 09:10 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

A sufite allergy can feel like impending DEATH. I get it from too much CHEAP wine (the good French stuff isn't sufited), dried apricots, dried peaches (never again...they taste like dirty FEET.)

Before my stent, sulfites would actually cause angina with a griping pain in the center of my chest...the headaches took several hours later, sometimes it was even to the level of migraine/vascular headache.

Now the "sulfitism" causes just a mid-chest malaise that's hard to pinpoint...and the headache risk. For me, it's fortunately dose related so two apricots or 3/4 bottle of Chateau Cardboard 2005 won't murder me.

I have read OFTEN, that many people die of it every year...it should be removed from our food, or at least CLEARLY labelled. I know SOME labelling is required.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-09-2005 at 09:13 AM.

Old 03-09-2005, 03:11 PM   #12
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Beerzoids, sorry you can't enjoy a baked potato. That would simply kill my boyfriend. To him it isn't dinner unless it has bread and potatoes. Sometimes he will substitute rice or something like mac and cheese, but most of the week its some form of potato.
Stop with the bread and potatoes and the mac and cheese, you are torturing me!

I was able to engorge myself on beer and pizza and steak and mashed potatoes and potato chips and chicken wings and french fries dipped in melted cheese, for decades, without putting on any weight at all. I could eat and drink and eat and eat, all day long, if I wanted to, and not have any ill effects.

I think that my excessive eating and drinking effected me similar to smoking, in as such as it catches up with you, not normally while young, but as one goes through middle age and older.

I LOVED potatoes. LOVED them! Now I don't miss them at all. I was very sick for many years. Now that I am feeling better, due to diet, exercise and the proper meds, I'm not going to look back.

By the way, please don't tell me that your boyfriend also likes beer.

Old 03-10-2005, 08:06 AM   #13
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Yup- his alcohol of choice. Except for the smoking, the younger you and him would get along fabulously, probably hanging out together in your favorite sports bar.

Old 03-17-2005, 04:41 PM   #14
(male)

dtjobrien HB User

I don't even want to mention what MSG does to me. Every time I eat chineese food, even if they say they all don't add MSG, I know it's there. I get nervous shakes, and a headache.

Once I had a full blown panic attack from it..

Old 03-18-2005, 07:28 AM   #15
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Hmmm, I haven't had real Chinese food in a while. I'll have to watch for that MSG possibility.

Side note, 4 apricot halves don't seem to bother me. Maybe its only massive quantities, or maybe I just had a wierd spike for no reason on day.

Closed Thread