It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-09-2005, 01:42 PM   #1
Inactive
(female)

dianajune HB Userdianajune HB Userdianajune HB User
Questions about carotid bruit

I posted a message on the heart board the other day but have had no responses, so I thought I'd post another message here.

I saw my new pulmonologist the other day, and when he listened to the carotid arteries in my neck, he said that he heard a 'bruit' on the right side. I went to my cardiologist's office afterwards, and saw one of their doctors (my cardiologist is off for awhile) and when he listened to my neck, he said that he didn't hear anything unusual, but that I should still go and have the ultrasound that my pulmonologist ordered.

Why would one doctor hear a bruit and not the other? The pulmonologist did not tell me to hold my breath while he listened, while the cardiologist did. Also, when I had the ultrasound today (it was called a carotid duplex), I was told that the artery on the right side of my neck is deeper than the one on the left. Could either or both of these factors have made a difference?

I am 42 years of age & have had a number of health issues to contend with for which I am on disability, but nothing really serious thus far, except for my hysterectomy several months ago. A large mass was found over my uterus, and it turned out to be a borderline cancer. I don't need chemo or radiation treatments, but will have to see my oncologist for followups for awhile. Prior to my surgery, I was cleared by my cardiologist and he said my heart was just fine.

At my cardiologist's office, they always listen to my neck, and if any bruits were heard before, they would have told me.

Is this something I need to worry about? I am overweight, but my bp and cholesterol has always been good. I am not a smoker (never have been), never do drugs (unless they're prescription), and I am not a diabetic, nor do I drink.

If anyone out there has dealt with this before or could give me advice on how to take the news I was given, I'd appreciate it. I am a nervous wreck & just can't bear the thought of having yet another health problem to contend with. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-09-2005, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Questions about carotid bruit

Some doctors are more brutish than others...I just coudn't resist.

Make sure EVERYONE clearly hears any signs of any atherosclerotic plaque noises before you have any intervention.

Perhaps the bruitish doctor was having a tinnitic day!

Old 03-09-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Lenin:

Thank you for responding. I'll know more once the results for that ultrasound are rec'd by my physicians. I had them send results to my primary care physician, as well as that pulmonologist and cardiologist.

One of my friends, who has had alot of experience dealing with cardio issues, told me that if something serious came up during today's ultrasound, I would have known by now. She said they would have contacted my physician, who would in turn contact me.

That makes sense, and I hope this is correct. Why one doctor would hear a bruit and not the other makes no sense, but according to my friend, something as little as holding my breath while they check can make a difference. What do you make of that?

I'll keep the board posted. Thanks again for listening!

Diana

Old 03-10-2005, 08:00 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I wouldn't worry unless it was confirmed by the ultrasound or another physician. Maybe it was a marginal sound. Maybe it was holding your breath or not, maybe it was the way you held your head, who knows?

When I took my cat to the vet for the first time, the vet said he had a heart murmur. On his next visit, with a different vet, I specifically asked about it and she did not hear the murmur. We've had this cat for 6 years and no one (including the original vet) has heard a murmur since.

So don't worry until you get confirmation of a problem.

Old 03-10-2005, 11:23 AM   #5
Inactive
(female)

I'm trying not to worry, but with all that I've been through the past year or so, it's kind of a hard habit to break!

I had a hysterectomy this past November for a large ovarian mass, which turned out to be what the oncologist called "a borderline cancer". I don't need chemo or radiation, but will need to see him for followups.

As far as the ultrasound goes, I haven't heard the results as of yet. I called my primary care physician's office, as well as my cardiologist's, and they haven't gotten back to me. Perhaps no news is good news? It seems to me that if the technician saw something really serious, I would have known before now.

I have an appointment with the cardiologist tomorrow, but am really anxious to find out what's going on. How long should it take for them to get the results? If the ultrasound was done at the cardiologist's, I'd have known by now. It was done at the hospital.

Last edited by dianajune; 03-10-2005 at 11:24 AM. Reason: crappy grammar lol

Closed Thread