It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2005, 11:43 AM   #1
(female)

las7715 HB User
What BP meds work for you?

Help! My bp is always high - ranges from 145/89 to 165/100 - I'm currently taking .25 mg Atenolol (doesn't work anymore) I've tried duiretics (Dyazide), Altsace (sp) and Avalide (Avalide made me dizzy/lightheaded upon standing) so I am getting frustrated at not being able to find a drug that actually lowers my BP and doesn't have side effects, the main one being making me tired all the time. Any suggestions?? I should mention I do exercise and try to eat right and drink in moderation.

Last edited by las7715; 03-10-2005 at 11:46 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 01:12 PM   #2
(male)

ebrown HB User
Re: What BP meds work for you?

I have been on about 4 different meds the last 5 years. The last one Adalat(CCB) did almost nothing to my blood pressure but did give me a bad cough. I was on it for 2 years and had to switch doctors to get off of it. My blood pressure is alwawy between 130/60 to 150/70 even while on meds. This new doctor has me on Hyzaar 100/25 and it has helped a little but at least no side effects.

ed

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-10-2005, 01:39 PM   #3
(female)

strong_one HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by las7715
Help! My bp is always high - ranges from 145/89 to 165/100 - I'm currently taking .25 mg Atenolol (doesn't work anymore) I've tried duiretics (Dyazide), Altsace (sp) and Avalide (Avalide made me dizzy/lightheaded upon standing) so I am getting frustrated at not being able to find a drug that actually lowers my BP and doesn't have side effects, the main one being making me tired all the time. Any suggestions?? I should mention I do exercise and try to eat right and drink in moderation.
Hi,

I too have had high BP similar to yours. I too was on Atenolol for many years but it slowly developed an allergic reaction to it and it didn't work for me anymore. I've also had diuretics (hydrochlorothiazide) along with Avapro then Avalide. Both giving me the same as you dizziness and more so of a heavy feeling in my arms and legs. I felt darn awful with Avalide.

On the brighter side, I started taking Lisinopril 20mg the same as my mother and also clonidine .01 mg. It has worked for about a month but lately I've been having spikes again. I'm guessing stress at work! The only side effects I've had with this med combination is sleepiness. I think I can work through that! I hate to go to the doc now with the spikes and she prescribe me another med. I don't want to go through all that again!!!

I know where you're coming from being so frustrated! This board helps answer a lot of questions.

GirlofSteel

Old 03-10-2005, 05:38 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

JJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB UserJJ HB User

Sometimes your system gets use to a certain drug and it stops working, and other times people need more then one to get it under control. Don't be too frustrated, most folks have to go thru the trial and error thing, and most have some kind of side effect. What works for one, doesn't always work for another, so hang in there, and let your dr. keep trying till U get either one, or a combo to work.....

Old 03-10-2005, 10:42 PM   #5

mrmojo HB User
Cool Re: What BP meds work for you?

no prescription med works after a couple months - but whiskey does, preferably irish but Scotch if neccesary (if I cant get Black Bush, walmart is 1/2 mile away, they have dewars)

1 whisky on the rocks my BP drops by 20/10, the next is 10/5, etc, enough I might not have any BP LOL

No, I'm not an alcoholic, i dont go to those meetings

Seriously though, I think stress is a major factor in my BP, I'm running 3 companies at once & working 730(AM) - 11(PM) no BP meds work consistently but liquor does,

Old 03-11-2005, 07:04 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

HCTZ...and ONE potent but dreadful beta-blocker (nadolol).

Since the nadolol is unfit for human consumption in my estimation, my drug is a water pill!

Old 03-11-2005, 07:58 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I tried lots of different meds before I finally settled out with Tiazac (a calcium channel blocker) and clonidine. Most of the drugs I tried did nothing for my blood pressure, and some had unacceptable side effects (ACEI cough for instance). Some acutally pushed up my blood pressure (beta blocker).

It took about a year and a half to find a combo that worked. Tiazac worked by itself at first, but my bp started creeping up, so we tried adding drugs. That's when I had the most complications. Clonidine was sort of a last resort, but it has worked effectively with the tiazac.

Old 03-11-2005, 10:44 AM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
HCTZ...and ONE potent but dreadful beta-blocker (nadolol).

Since the nadolol is unfit for human consumption in my estimation, my drug is a water pill!
OMG, that stuff is nasty! I got that drug back in 1996. I felt like I was near death. My pulse was at 35. My hands and feat were ice cold. But, my doctor at the time was happy that my BP was down. I asked if there was anything else. "Corgard is an excellent drug. And, your BP looks great. You'll get used to it." That was the last time I went back to that quack.

Pal

Old 03-11-2005, 11:25 AM   #9
(male)

rigel434 HB User

A diuretic (chlorthalidone) and ACE inhibitor (lisinopril) works quite well for me. No side effects at all as far as I can tell. Well, maybe occasional muscle cramping when I exercise but I would get those before I took diuretics. And I got the ACE-cough for a few days after taking it but it's gone away and hasn't come back.

Old 03-11-2005, 03:49 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Palamedes,

You are the ONLY person on the planet, besides myself, who has ever admitted to having taken Corgard. How nice to find someone with whom I can commiserate.
With one PILL (40 mg. as I recall) my heart rate dropped from 80 to 50 and my BP from hypertensive to something preposterous like 90/60. And THEN the effects started piling on, one pill upon another ...that 72 hour half life is one for the books, eh?
When I was on vacation and my legs gave out during a short bike ride and I had to call a cab to haul me and my bike back to the house, I realized firsthand what a "side-effect was"...I think that was 1980ish...maybe earlier.

Not cheap either, because back then it was VERY patented! Big round Blue Pills as I recall!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-11-2005 at 03:56 PM.

Closed Thread