It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-11-2005, 11:29 AM   #1
(male)

rigel434 HB User
Blood pressure rise after meals?

I was surprised to read somewhere that most people's blood pressure goes down after meals- reportedly because the blood being diverted to the stomach takes it away from the extremities. Mine goes up after a big meal as my body gears up to digest all that food. I can actually feel the difference as well- my pulse quickens and I feel my heart beating harder. What are the experiences of those here after meals?

Old 03-11-2005, 02:30 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Blood pressure rise after meals?

I think BIG is the key word. I used to eat a large meal at night with an increase in BP and heartrate. a few months ago I tried eating 6 small meals a day. The BP has settled down quite a bit and my pulse has quit pounding and racing after meals.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2005, 06:32 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

My bp does go up after a big meal, especially if finished off with coffee. I don't regard
it as a big deal. The increase is very temporary.

Old 03-12-2005, 09:07 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal7778
My bp does go up after a big meal, especially if finished off with coffee. I don't regard
it as a big deal. The increase is very temporary.
My reaction is similar to CASSIEBEL's. After a small, high fiber, balanced meal my blood pressure goes down and stays down, and my heart behaves better.

How long does your blood pressure stay up, after a big meal, and how high does it get?

Last edited by Machaon; 03-12-2005 at 09:08 AM.

Old 03-12-2005, 11:07 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

It's better to have small, high fiber meals. But that doesn't always happen for me. And
I usually don't depress myself by taking my bp after a big meal. I have done it, though. Generally it can be 140 something ovre 80 something, which is--on the systolic--about 15-20 higher than it would be at other times. By big meal, I don't mean unrestrained gluttony, and never sweets or lots of bread or pasta etc. Generally, there's only so much I'll do to get my bp to behave. As Lenin has pointed out, all of us are a bit too paranoid about the significance of precise readings. As far as I can figure, the most important fact is your bp while your sleeping. When that's high, then you're in big trouble.

Other facts.
Caffeine does raise my bp maybe 10 for a couple of hours, and I think it does so by
unleashing my anxiety. My heart rate also increases some. This is often a price I'm willing to pay. I'm pretty sure caffeine undermines the effect of CCBs, and so it may well be a bigger price than I'm admitting right now.

One or two glasses of wine or a single beer will cause it to drop at least that much, because, I guess, it chills me out. Mix several drinks with caffeine and a big meal if
you want to see it go up a lot.

Any exercise at all drops my bp a lot, at least 10 points systolic, but that effect doesn't last that long.

As I found with food poisoning, if you really want low bp, get truly dehydrated. I dropped to 90/58. But that doesn't last long either.

My work has something to do with extended public speaking. I'm really wired after that and my bp reflects it--the systolic can be, quite temporarily, in the 150s. That surge of anxiety and excitement, I think, pretty much undermines the effects of all antihypertensives but beta blockers. And I don't want to not be excited or worked up when I should be.

Enough!

Old 03-12-2005, 11:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal7778
It's better to have small, high fiber meals. But that doesn't always happen for me.
Actually, the ONLY reason that I am doing small, frequent meals is because I have serious and advanced heart disease. Prior to my heart problems, I drank loads of beer, partied, and ate anything that I could get my hands on, and I would do it all again, if I could.

Quote:
And I usually don't depress myself by taking my bp after a big meal.
I don't blame you. I wouldn't do it either, unless I had to.

Quote:
I have done it, though. Generally it can be 140 something ovre 80 something, which is--on the systolic--about 15-20 higher than it would be at other times.
140/80 is pretty good, IMHO.

Quote:
As Lenin has pointed out, all of us are a bit too paranoid about the significance of precise readings. As far as I can figure, the most important fact is your bp while your sleeping. When that's high, then you're in big trouble.
A little over seven years ago my condition worsened significantly. I started keeping a log of my blood pressure in order to find out the times of the day when my blood pressure was at it's worst, and to find out which meds were best at lowering my blood pressure. I have now over 15,000 readings, by hour and by date. By taking the readings and logging them, with anecdotal information, there have been significant changes in my meds, my health and my understanding about what the hell is going on inside my body.

Quote:
Other facts.
Caffeine does raise my bp maybe 10 for a couple of hours, and I think it does so by
unleashing my anxiety. My heart rate also increases some. This is often a price I'm willing to pay. I'm pretty sure caffeine undermines the effect of CCBs, and so it may well be a bigger price than I'm admitting right now.
Man, oh man, do I miss coffee. Caffeine not only raises my blood pressure, but it also makes my heart misfire and jump all over the place. I would give my boss's right arm just for one cup of coffee! Hmmmm!? Make that one cup of coffee and a case of beer!

Quote:
One or two glasses of wine or a single beer will cause it to drop at least that much, because, I guess, it chills me out. Mix several drinks with caffeine and a big meal if
you want to see it go up a lot.
Alcohol is supposed to have a short term effect, lowering the blood pressure. At least, in my case, after a few beers, my blood pressure would drop. Then, after a while, higher blood pressure would come back with a vengence.

Quote:
My work has something to do with extended public speaking. I'm really wired after that and my bp reflects it--the systolic can be, quite temporarily, in the 150s. That surge of anxiety and excitement, I think, pretty much undermines the effects of all antihypertensives but beta blockers. And I don't want to not be excited or worked up when I should be.
That "extended public speaking" sounds like it could cause a lot of pressure, especially depending upon the type of crowd, and the subject matter. Sounds like you have it pretty much under control.

Quote:
Enough!
Thanks for the response. You were actually more correct than I was. Big meals are only a problem for those who's health is at risk. Like I said, if I could go back to ten years before my heart problems, I would do the same Gluttonous eating and drinking as I did before, and probably enjoy it more!

Regards.

Last edited by Machaon; 03-12-2005 at 11:56 AM.

Old 03-12-2005, 01:50 PM   #7
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

I'm very, very sorry to hear about your advanced heart disease. It sounds like you're living with it well. I really am lucky that I don't have to be so careful for now.

Old 03-14-2005, 08:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Pal7778, I notice the same effect with caffeine. If I have a mug of strong tea in the morning, my bp will be up about 10 points in both systolic and dystolic for several hours.

Old 03-15-2005, 02:14 PM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

My blood pressure goes down after drinking coffee or tea. It averages about 15 points lower.

Old 03-16-2005, 10:22 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

For the record, I just had a small lunch with 2 cups of coffee and checked my bp
on the way back to work. It was up about 10-15 pts. from the morning, resting nos.
But still in the high normal range.

Old 03-16-2005, 11:35 AM   #11
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Beerzoids,

I hear you.... Beer was my main culprit on how I got HBP at 32..... Drinking a 6 pack a night & more+ shots on the weekend. I have stopped doing that. I can't drink 4 beers without feeling buzzed on the meds...... I am sorry that you have heart disease. Get well!!!

Closed Thread