It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 08:30 AM   #1
(female)

sherbear24 HB User
Feeling your b/p rise?

Hi all,
I was just wondering about... some people say they can feel when their b/p rises.What exactly can that feel like? I am trying to figure out if it is anxiety or acually a b/p problem. There are times I can feel my heart racing and my pulse is normal. When I have taken my b/p during those times sometimes it is high 124/82-135/90. My doctor has me taking my b/p every Monday morning upon awakening and it has been in the normal range. That also I question. I have read on this board that taking your b/p upon awakening is not a good idea. Any insight on that at all?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 09:15 AM   #2
(male)

rigel434 HB User
Re: Feeling your b/p rise?

I can definitely feel it. I can feel my heart beating in my chest whereas normally I don't. If I check my pulse on my wrist I notice that the pulse is much more noticable- more pressure on the vein down there. Plus, there's a generally flushed feeling in my face.

I've never had it get high enough to have a headache, but some people get that as a symptom.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 09:36 AM   #3
(female)

Beach Bum HB User

I thought I could tell. I get anxious frequently and I have palpitations and heart racing. I am always certain that I will find my BP high when I am feeling this way but when I check it, it will be 109/64 or something although my HR will be 90 or more. I have my own monitor and I check it all the time doing different activities out of curiosity. I have checked it a couple of times when I had a really bad headache and again it would be normal.
My BP is controlled, sometimes even low on a low dose beta blocker. I am 43 and perimenopausal. Before the beta blocker it was running high 130's over high 80's at home and 140/90 at doctors office. I believe my heart changes and rise in BP are caused by wildly fluctuating hormones. Anyone else in this boat? Before peri my bp was always 110/70.

Old 03-15-2005, 09:13 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

My blood pressure problem is highly stress-related. When I was under a great deal of stress, I had to take 30 mg. Lisinopril daily to keep my pressure under reasonable control, and even then my systolic would get into the 150-170 range when a new stress would hit. (I was caring for my husband, a stroke survivor, 24/7, so I was basically under perpetual stress for four years.) Within six months after I lost him, I was able to reduce the dosage, and finally 1½ years later to eliminate meds completely. So I know that stress was the principal cause. I still feel the difference, though my spikes don't get as high nor do they occur as frequently. And now it is without meds instead of with them. If I feel super calm, my systolic will be under 120, reasonably calm it will be 120-130, and if I'm feeling stressed, it will be in the 130s, 140s, or rarely 150s. I can best tell by how relaxed my shoulder muscles are.

I suspect that people whose blood pressure is less related to stress might not be able to detect it as readily.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 03-15-2005 at 09:22 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 05:05 AM   #5
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User

I feel it in my head and sides of my neck and my heart..Lisa

Closed Thread