It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-15-2005, 03:21 PM   #1

dianne12315 HB User
I Quit

Hi everyone,

I have been posting on and off for the past few months about different topics regarding my bp, high cholesterol, and medications. I went for an MRA of my kidneys last week and it showed I had Renal Artery Stenosis and the blockage was "moderate." Thankfully just the right kidney is affected at this time.

Anyway I went to the Cardiologist yesterday and he told me that the finding with the my kidney is "insignificant" and the kidney doctor I'm going to is not going about it. Again this is fine with me. I do not want to have to go for any more tests and I didn't want anymore tests. I've had it.

Then he asked me how I was feeling so I started telling him how lousy I was feeling and he said "it's probably the medication. Let's try adding one more drug to try and get your blood pressure under control." I got kind of mad and told him I refuse to take any more drugs for my high blood pressure because I don't think I should have to put up with the side effects of a medication that is interferring with my ability to function everyday.

He agrees that the medication is causing my problems so therefore when I left his office I made the decision to stop all medications. I think the cure is worse than the disease and I'm not willing to live my life as if I'm 90. I have missed 20 days of work in the past 6 weeks and I think that it's ridiculous. If I stop the medication and feel better then I'm ahead of the game.

My blood pressure has been high and hard to control since I was 23. Yesterday the doctor told me that the bottom number is not important anymore so since my top number was only 130 I figure it's safe to stop my medication.

I was on Diovan 80mg (1x day) Metoprolol 50mg (2x day) Inspra 25mg (1x day).

Thanks everyone for any advice that you have given me in the past. Wish me luck.

Dianne

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-15-2005, 03:30 PM   #2
Inactive

Random2 HB User
Re: I Quit

My arguement exactly. Before the bottom number was only important, then the top number was important also. They give us meds. that make it so we feel lethargic & cause all kinds of side-effects & dismiss them when we tell them about the side-effects. I wouldn't quit cold turkey. I don't want to see you have a stroke, but I feel your pain. I'm 34 & feel like I am 94. I was a heck of lot more fun before the B/P meds. They have ruined my lifestyle. The truth. I was a happy go lucky type of person. Now, I can't drink anymore, can't eat certain foods & feel like I am the mercy of the medication. It is ridiculous. Come out with new meds. without all of these garbage side-effects. I really do feel your pain Dianne. I just would monitor my blood pressure closely if I were you. Anxiety meds. actually bring my b/p lower than the meds..... what does that say. They also don't cause the side-effects. If they can get anxiety medication right without side-effects then why can't they do it with B/P meds.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:06 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Dianne,

Good for you,

Remember the choice is OURS. God with the beta-blocker, the alpha-blocker and the angiorecepto blocker it sounds like your life was pretty BLOCKED!
Keep tabs on the numbers and try to watch your salt and limit it to a gram or gram and a half a day.
Have you given any thought to having some HCTZ on hand just to draiin out some water if you overdo the sodium and get high peaks?

Exercise, low weight, lots of sweat and you might be our new poster girl.
Keep us posted.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-15-2005 at 05:21 PM.

Old 03-15-2005, 04:35 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Dianne,
If you can let us know how it goes.
Cass

Old 03-15-2005, 06:27 PM   #5
(male)

rigel434 HB User

I think beta blockers should be banned. The Inderal I took made me so depressed I went from happy to having thoughts of suicide in days. And I recall seeing an article in USA Today a few months ago about a study showing they were only marginally effective as far as bp.

However, I take a diuretic and ACE inhibitor and I wouldn't even know I was taking them if my bp wasn't lower. The ACE inhibitor caused a VERY annoying cough a week or so after starting it but it went away after a few days and hasn't returned. Sorry you're not able to tolerate them- what is your reaction to the ACE inhibitor alone- have you tried that? Also, what about diuretics?

Old 03-15-2005, 06:51 PM   #6
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

Sounds like you made the right decision. I was just reading that if you go eat oatmeal for breafast (not instant) and have a salad for lunch and another for dinner with a small amount of protein (can be vegeterian or otherwise) wth fruits and vegetables as snacks and drink at least 8 glasses of wter a day you will lower the blood pressure adn cholesterol. I read it in Dr John McDougall's book and on his website plus Dr Gabe Mirkin wrote it in his book The Healthy Heart Miracle and has info on his site too. These are both regular doctors not quacks. Lay off all salt btw and if you do use any buy Celtic Sea Salt as most others have crap added to them but this should still be used in miniscule quantities. McDougall has recipes for salad dressings etc on his site. My hbp problem is stress related and just the thought of having my bp taken at Dr office sends it soaring to around 160/80 in their office. I take it at home which is still frightening for me but I get near normal. Frankly regardless of what they say as long as my bp is 140/80 or less I am not going to be concerned. My husband is 81 and in excellent health, went to Dr today re a rash and got bp of 140/70 and Dr said it was high! That Dr will be lucky to live as long and be as healthy as my husband at 81yo so we are not concerned and refused his drugs. I actually think the Dr was annoyed that at 81y my husband is not on ONE medication and looks 60yo and is not overweight. We are vegetarians and very careful with our diet altho not rigid, he eats alot of fruit and veg and we juice veggies every day.
anneh
Quote:
Originally Posted by dianne12315
Hi everyone,

I have been posting on and off for the past few months about different topics regarding my bp, high cholesterol, and medications. I went for an MRA of my kidneys last week and it showed I had Renal Artery Stenosis and the blockage was "moderate." Thankfully just the right kidney is affected at this time.

Anyway I went to the Cardiologist yesterday and he told me that the finding with the my kidney is "insignificant" and the kidney doctor I'm going to is not going about it. Again this is fine with me. I do not want to have to go for any more tests and I didn't want anymore tests. I've had it.

Then he asked me how I was feeling so I started telling him how lousy I was feeling and he said "it's probably the medication. Let's try adding one more drug to try and get your blood pressure under control." I got kind of mad and told him I refuse to take any more drugs for my high blood pressure because I don't think I should have to put up with the side effects of a medication that is interferring with my ability to function everyday.

He agrees that the medication is causing my problems so therefore when I left his office I made the decision to stop all medications. I think the cure is worse than the disease and I'm not willing to live my life as if I'm 90. I have missed 20 days of work in the past 6 weeks and I think that it's ridiculous. If I stop the medication and feel better then I'm ahead of the game.

My blood pressure has been high and hard to control since I was 23. Yesterday the doctor told me that the bottom number is not important anymore so since my top number was only 130 I figure it's safe to stop my medication.

I was on Diovan 80mg (1x day) Metoprolol 50mg (2x day) Inspra 25mg (1x day).

Thanks everyone for any advice that you have given me in the past. Wish me luck.

Dianne

Old 03-15-2005, 09:09 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rigel434
I think beta blockers should be banned. The Inderal I took made me so depressed I went from happy to having thoughts of suicide in days. And I recall seeing an article in USA Today a few months ago about a study showing they were only marginally effective as far as bp.
Banned? Some of us need them to live! Not HBP but for heart problems.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 03-15-2005 at 09:10 PM.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:26 AM   #8
Inactive

Random2 HB User

If you have heart problems agreed Cass, but in my case I have no heart problems..... No palps, 2 EKGS's in the past 2 years, a chest xray & I'm 34 & miserable taking 100 MGS of Atenolol that does very little for my B/P. It does make me depressed & kills my stomach at times & makes me lethargic.... I wouldn't call that a good med. I agree that people with heart problems is a different situation.

Old 03-16-2005, 07:51 AM   #9
(male)

rigel434 HB User

Yes, I agree that beta blockers regulate heart function and may assist those with heart failure. But in light of recent studies showing only marginal bp benefit, it seems like the benefits of the drug are outweighed by its very nasty side effects for many people. I'd be willing to bet that some folks have committed suicide because of this drug- it turned me from a happy to a depressed person very quickly and I hate to think what it would have done if I'd already been on the edge.

I guess what I should have said is, if I were a doctor, I'd be very reluctant to prescribe beta blockers for those with hbp without complications.

Old 03-16-2005, 08:33 AM   #10
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Agreed..... Depression is one of the side-effects that I have gone through on the beta-blocker. I don't have any heart problems, so I don't know why I was given a high dosage of one in the 1st place. All it has done is cause me side-effects. The lotrel & the xanax for anxiety are the ones that keep my B/P at a 116/66 level.

Old 03-16-2005, 01:11 PM   #11
(female)

anneh HB Useranneh HB User

Btw talking about beta blockers, when I was in my early 30's I had lots of palpitations and other frightening heart symptoms. It was the start of my severe anxiety/panic attacks. I went rushing to a heart Dr who determined that I have mitral valve prolaps (MVP) which was responsible for my symptoms. He prescribed Inderal for the heart symptoms and Librium for anxiety. I started taking the Librium and actually went into a panic attack because I felt SO suicidal, I stayed awake all night frightened so never took that again. The Inderal I started taking but was scared of it so stopped. I started looking into natural ways to deal with my symptoms. So here I am in my 60's on no drugs (I do take 1/4 of a 5mg valium if I have a severe panic attack at night which only happens roughly ever few months) and wondering what kind of shape I would be in by now if I had stayed on the Inderal plus would be hooked on the tranquiliser I am not saying that there are not times when meds are needed, I am just saying that the medical profession, probably out of fear of being sued, will put you on drugs immediately if you tell them you have a problem. I have a friend whose cat died and she had to go to her dr for a checkup and he asked her how she was, she said depressed about her cat and he prescribed Prozac Luckily she called me and we talked about how natural it is to be depressed after losing an animal or person close to you, I suggested some alternatives and she has been fine, I couldn't believe he put her on the drug without suggesting some alternatives first, even counselling for instance.
anneh

Old 03-16-2005, 01:27 PM   #12
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Exactly... it's all CYA when it comes to these beta blockers. It's sad to see that there are others that are suffering stomach problems+ from Atenolol with no need for it. Atenolol should be taken off of the market.

Old 03-16-2005, 03:23 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

anneh,

I have also found that Inderal and Sleep are mututally exclusive. I NEVER took it after 3 PM (back when.) But then I cannpt sleep with ANY beta-blocker except nadolol and then all I CAN do is sleep!

I too spent a fair amount of time with Librium back WHEN and like it a lot but Valium (diazepam) is the far better drug. I take maybe 40 a year (10 mg.) for lovely sleep when I'm stressed or 5 mg. when I am awake and worrying about something. I think diazepam is the best anti-anxiety agent ever invented.

Lorazepam and Temazepam are fit only for torture IMHO!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-16-2005 at 03:24 PM.

Old 03-18-2005, 12:47 PM   #14

dianne12315 HB User

Hi Everyone,

I have been off my medication since Monday and I have to admit that I never felt better. I've decided I'm not going to go back on it. I have been taking my blood pressure at work everyday and it's the same as it was when I was on the medication so therefore to me the medication is useless. I was taking it with the wrist blood pressure machine and also I had the nurse take it in the afternoon. There was no big difference in the way she was taking it and the way the machine took it.

I'm going back to the kidney doctor on Monday and I'm going to tell him I stopped the medication. I kept a record of what my bp was on the pills and off the pills so he can see for himself that the medication is not doing what it's supposed to.

Dianne

Old 03-21-2005, 07:06 AM   #15
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Congrats!!!!! If being off of meds. makes one feel better it is what I figured. I applaud you. Within the next few months I want to be med-free as well. Thanks for setting the example.

Closed Thread