It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-16-2005, 10:37 PM   #1
(male)

Matt19 HB User
Post New Member Venting a Bit

I turned 29 yesterday and was recently told I have high BP. I have read through many of the threads tonight and want to thank you all for the good information. I'll thank you again in advance if you read this whole post.

Three separate visits to my doctor within the last month yielded BP readings of 160/100, 150/88 and 145/90. My doctor told me I would be on medication by the end of the month. I adopted the DASH diet and started monitoring at home with my readings falling somewhere in the 135-140 / 75-80 range.

I also started taking a host of vitamins recommended by Dr. Mark Houston's VasoGuard Therapy. It includes CoQ-10, Garlic Powder, Taurine and many others. The vitamins have helped keep my BP in the lower of the ranges I mentioned above.

My doctor is not impressed by my efforts or results and said if my BP is not within "acceptable" limits by next month she will write me a prescription. I think this is ridiculous.

My first child should arrive on April 8th. Right now I am a full time college student hoping to graduate in December so that I can keep the kid in diapers, not to mention pay for college someday.

So I think it's safe to say I have some stress in my life. I don't do a good job of handling it and I think that is the underlying problem. Of course the MD doesn't want to hear about that, she just wants to write me a prescription and make me a slave to BP medication. Forget the fact that now I have to add thinking about high BP to my list of stressors.

I'm glad I found this board and welcome any advice. Or if you need to just vent like me, do it here in my first thread!

Cheers!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 05:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: New Member Venting a Bit

Matt,

If the DASH DIET controls your BP to below 140/80 and you are able to do it for the forseeable future then go for it. It's a healthy way to eat. It is, however, a VERY hard diet to adhere to in this oversalted world we live in.

Remember, doctors write prescriptions, WE fill them and WE stick the pills into our gullets!

Old 03-17-2005, 06:19 AM   #3
Inactive

vipergg22 HB User

Doctors are there for advice , it's totally up to you whether you decide to take it or not . Your's sounds like a pill pusher if she is unwilling to look at other things specially at your age . If she gives you a hard time it's time to move on to another doctor .

Old 03-17-2005, 06:37 AM   #4
(male)

Matt19 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Matt,

If the DASH DIET controls your BP to below 140/80 and you are able to do it for the forseeable future then go for it. It's a healthy way to eat. It is, however, a VERY hard diet to adhere to in this oversalted world we live in.

Remember, doctors write prescriptions, WE fill them and WE stick the pills into our gullets!
I have been averaging about 1,800mg of sodium per day over the last month. Usually I'm able to keep it under 1,500mg but that is impossible to do when eating out, as I'm sure you know.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:05 AM   #5
Inactive

Random2 HB User

It's easy to say that we are the ones that are taking them, but I was never given any warning about how diffucult it is to wean off of a drug like Atenolol by the doctor. Now I feel 10 times worse than when I started taking B/P meds. 2 years ago... St. Patrick's Day (the day after 2 years ago). My stomach is just getting worse on this med. the next day. I sleep like junk, wake up feeling like junk & keep my g/f up as well with all of my tossing & turning. We go to docs. to get professional advice on what to take. I have switched doctors 3 times and it still doesn't work...... I just hate those 2 days a week that my stomach is all crampy & etc. It didn't happen before the B/P meds like Toprol or Atenolol. I could drink a 6 pack & feel great the next day before. Now I don't drink 99% of the time during the week & I feel much worse. I had full blood tests. My doctor thinks that it is stress & anxiety.... I think that it is the Atenolol.

Old 03-17-2005, 07:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Given your age and assuming your basically good health, you would do yourself more harm than good to take any bp medicine if your typical reading is below 140/90.

Old 03-17-2005, 08:39 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Agree 100%. My doctor said last week that the stomach problems that I have are from stress & anxiety & not the meds..... then why do they happen early in the morning when I am sleeping??? Am I stressed then? He said by being on Atenolol & Lotrel I am healthier than 90% of the people my age.... Yeah riiiiight. He said that he wakes up with an upset stomach & it is stress & anxiety... I am convinced it is the medication Atenolol.

Old 03-17-2005, 09:28 AM   #8

mrmojo HB User

your readings at home are fine

you need a new doctor

Closed Thread