It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-17-2005, 10:22 AM   #1

luckyotoole HB User
What is NORMAL anyway

I am 35 and confused about what my b/p is actually supposed to be. I take it in the doctors and it is 160/90 (because I HATE the doctors office) but I go to the drugstore and take it at home and it seems like a good number. The confusion is because at different drugstores it says different numbers are normal. Last night my b/p was 132/67 and my pulse was 65. Well the 132 number scared me so I took it again and again and it was always 125 to 130. No I'm thinking I have hypertension and need medicine. Any thoughts?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:09 AM   #2
(male)

rigel434 HB User
Re: What is NORMAL anyway

Sounds to me like your bp is fine- it's the home readings that matter.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-17-2005, 11:33 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckyotoole
I am 35 and confused about what my b/p is actually supposed to be. I take it in the doctors and it is 160/90 (because I HATE the doctors office) but I go to the drugstore and take it at home and it seems like a good number. The confusion is because at different drugstores it says different numbers are normal. Last night my b/p was 132/67 and my pulse was 65. Well the 132 number scared me so I took it again and again and it was always 125 to 130. No I'm thinking I have hypertension and need medicine. Any thoughts?

Old 03-17-2005, 11:42 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

My blood pressure is always higher at the doctors office. I had to take readings at home for a week and my readings were normal or in the high normal range 130/85.. It took the doctor almost a year before he put me on Diovan. Now my home readings average 115/75 and no higher than 125/82 at times. I would not rely on readings taken using a machine at the drugstore because most of those machines are not calibrated regularly and are inaccurate. As far as the 132 number scarying you --Why?
That is not a high reading.. I would use a home monitor and you are supposed to relax for 15 minutes seated in a chair with both feet on the floor. I go to the doctor and they seat me with my legs dangling and take it. They don't even follow the guidelines correctly so it is no wonder the readings are always higher . The last nurse that took it did not even let me rest for a few minutes before she took it. I had just climbed two flights of stairs and walked down the hall to the room and she was wrapping the cuff around my arm. I told her that I had just climbed stairs. They are in such a hurry to get you in and out of there.. Did you ask your doctor if he thought you had hypertension? I kept getting high readings for about a year everytime I went to the doctor and my home readings were normal but they put me on medicaton anyway....

Old 03-17-2005, 12:23 PM   #5

luckyotoole HB User
Wink Re: What is NORMAL anyway

He didn't necessarily say I had high blood pressure he just kinda asked me "why is your blood pressure high" to which I replied "because this place makes me nervous". I seriously feel it raising as I'm pulling in the parking lot. My chest gets all blotchy so I know that I'm nervous. It's a head game I play with myself I think. What are the proper procedures anyway? I take mine at home and I if I don't excercise for a while, the top number is in the 130's but if I work out regularly like a good girl the top number is in the 120's. Is there a correlation? My bottom number is always in the high 50's are mid 60's depending if I'm freaking out about it or not. Everyone says stuff about sodium intake but seriously I don't even watch that because I drink 160 0z of water a day (probably too much but it's on my desk at work and it's become a habit). I don't know why my pulse is always in the 60's or 70's..seems low. When I lay on my left side and took it last night, it was 105/49. I thought "this is it...I'm dying!"
Sorry to go on and on...just venting at the frustration at trying to get the number what it is "supposed to be".

Old 03-17-2005, 02:41 PM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

You don't have high bp. Give yourself a long break from checking it.

Old 03-17-2005, 02:49 PM   #7
(female)

kaykay5 HB User

Anything under 130/80 is normal. My BP at the doctor was 135/85 and he wasn't concerned. It was my pulse rate of 120 that bothered him. My normal at rest pulse is 90 and that is way too high.

Old 03-17-2005, 03:44 PM   #8
(male)

dtjobrien HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal7778
You don't have high bp. Give yourself a long break from checking it.
Yep, I agree. And I'm jealous!

Old 03-18-2005, 06:23 AM   #9
Inactive

Random2 HB User

You are fine. I had 130/74 the last time at the doc. & I was shocked it was so low. I average 116/66 away from him on Lotrel & the dreaded Atenolol. I had a reading of 180/90 after a panic attack, so that is why I got the meds. He should have treated the anxiety 1st & then done some research as to whether I had true HBP, before prescibing meds.. B/P meds. were the worst choice that I ever made. My g/f warned me & didn't want me to go on them. She said get something for the anxiety. Since that time I have cut down my drinking a lot & gone from 158 pounds to 150-152...... I am sure that my #'s would be good with just the anxiety med......

Old 03-18-2005, 06:38 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Aerobic exercise will lower your blood pressure for awhile. My bp drops 10 or more points after walking on a treadmill for 40 minutes and it stays low for hours that is why the doctor recommends exercise. Your numbers sound very good to me. You probably just have White Coat Hypertension where it only rises at the doctors office. I am sure that if the doctor thinks you have hypertension he will have you monitor at home to see what your numbers are. I am like you, when I go to the doctors I get nervous and when they wrap the cuff around my arm my heart is racing a mile a minute so it is no wonder that the readings they get are high.. I just can't relax with some stranger taking my blood pressure...

Old 03-18-2005, 08:54 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

woodfaery HB User

Sounds like white coat syndrome--many people have a raise in bp when they go to the doctors. If you are not 140/90 daily, then you are in a safe range. If you are 140/90 daily then you may very well have hypertension. Peoples bp go up and down regularly. The average bp is up in the air at the moment in the medical field...what I was taught was that the normal range is 120/80 but not over 140/90. Keep in account that if your bp goes up and down thats ok as long as you are not 140/90 daily. Keep a track log if you are concerned and track your bp for a week and see how it is. If you know someone who has a personal cuff and steth you are going to get better readings than the ones at the drugstore...reason being is because kids play around with them and can cause them to be off. They are not always reliable. Get your own if you think it would benefit you, and if you have one of your own then you can monitor your bp at home and see how your bp is doing. But keep in mind, many people have a spike in bp when they go visit the doc. Hopefully I was some help...I tend to ramble.

Old 03-18-2005, 09:06 AM   #12
Inactive

Random2 HB User

True... very true..... & I don't fully trust the doctors after going through 3 in 2 years & they just seem to want to prescribe B/P meds. even if it is white-coat. Go with you own instincts as to whether to take the meds. or not....I have learned through time.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:30 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

Under the new guidelines, normal BP is considered to be under 120/80, pre-hypertension between 120/80 and 139/89, and hypertension 140/90 on up. Just remember that pre-hypertension is NOT hypertension. Consider it to be just a signal to keep an eye on it. And I would never consent to taking BP meds with just one or a few readings in the doctor's office. It is the daily pressure that counts. If a doctor started talking meds again, I'd want to monitor my own pressure daily at home for a few weeks before I'd believe I really had HBP.

Old 03-21-2005, 12:04 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Uff-Da! made an important point that pre-hypertension is NOT hypertension.

This whole new prehypertension category is based on the premise that while it has always been known that increased BP puts one at risk for future cardiovascular events, NOW they are simply saying that the risk seems to begin at lower levels than previously believed.

When a patient falls into this range, meds are NOT indicated but instead, doctors are advised to stress lifestyle modification for their patients.

Seems to me that the pre-hypertension designation serves only as an "indicator" that one may be at risk of progressing later down the pike to actual hypertensive disease.

zuzu xxx

Closed Thread