It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-18-2005, 09:17 AM   #1
(male)

mikey51 HB User
Can you split a 20 mg Benicar

I take one perday along with Toprol XL each lowers the BP and I am getting readings as low as 80/45 sometimes. The problem is my butt is dragging to much and I feel light headed. I have lost 25 pounds in the last two months and I am working out like a maddog to lose the rest in the next 4 months. Add the low BP and the Toprol fatigue and it is no fun hitting the weights..

So has anyone split a Benicar before and it still works the entire day or does it lose some strength.

Old 03-18-2005, 10:05 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Can you split a 20 mg Benicar

I can tell you that splitting meds is not always a good idea. I worked for a Pharmaceutical Co and splitting pills is not going to give you a correct amount of MG per half. Some meds although they are processed together do not always have the correct mgs on both halves. Meaning if you cut a 20 mg benicar in half you may not get 10mg per half. You may get 8 and 2 and so on and so fourth. I do not know about Benicar you would be safer to ask your pharmacist if you can do that with Benicar. ..hope this helps..Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-18-2005, 10:14 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

What Moxie says is true... You can't get an accurate split. Having said that, Benicar is a splittable pill. And, splitting 20 into 10 makes some sense. In fact, the FDA originally recommended that the starting dose be 10 mg.

However, it seems like it would make more sense to split the Toprol XL and weaning off that one. I assume this one can be split. A non-splittable beta-blocker is a scary thought.

Pal

Old 03-18-2005, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Definately sounds like you are over medicated. I also think it would be better to split the Toprol and wean off that one.

Old 03-18-2005, 11:30 AM   #5
(female)

pat52 HB User

Just came back from the doctor Wednesday-I too take Benicar. I was on 40mg per day and nothing else. I had BP readings as low as 89/59 to the highest 110/68. I had an extreme vertigo attack in Nov of last year and never felt "right" since-dizzy, off balance, brain fog-was then treated for "inner ear" antibiotics, ears cleaned, MRI, C-Scan-Eply manuvers etc.. nothing helped. Another neurologist thought I was suffering from Migraine Associated Vertigo wanted me to take a seizure med. Doctor said Wednesday-I might be suffering from HYPOTENSION. She suggested I cut my Benicar in half using a pill spliter. I too questioned about the halves not being same amounts and she said not to worry-it wouldn't make that much difference-just make sure the cut wasn't way off. I'm on my second day of splitting the pill-my pressure taken earlier was 110/69 in the a.m. To me I think I have high blood pressure -lol-since almost a.m. readings with 40mg was in the upper 80's to mid 90's (upper number) and lower number never got above 67.
By the way I also lost 30 pounds and wondering if my dosage was too high. I just hoping I don't see it getting high again. Since it's only been two days-it's too soon to see if the dizziness / brain fog etc.. stays away. Doctor told me to continue for 2 weeks and as long as the number doesnt go over 130-continue the 20mg and she will send in a prescription for 20mg. (Now wonder if I could save money still fill the prescription at 40mg and just continue to split in half-it's a thought) Good Luck -Let me know how you are doing.

Old 03-18-2005, 01:38 PM   #6
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgraylorn
Definately sounds like you are over medicated. I also think it would be better to split the Toprol and wean off that one.
I would love to lose the toprol but I am taking it for a rapid pulse which is now coming down along with the weight loss. So basically I have to stay on the toprol until I hit my target weight or until my pulse gets low enough to go off it. We will see what happens I will post in a week or so on how I feel..

Thanks

Old 03-19-2005, 05:32 PM   #7
(male)

mikey51 HB User

I just decided to keep a little blog going in my efforts to cut back on the benicar. It might help someone

Day one/ 3/19/05
I can tell a big difference today I have had lots of energy and there has been no dizziness. My bp has slowly risen through out the day up to where it is now at 104/63 and the pulse has stayed at 80 bpm as usual. If it stays at this level I might drop the benicar totally in a week or so. My short-term memory was better today also.

Last edited by mikey51; 03-20-2005 at 08:42 AM.

Old 03-20-2005, 02:12 PM   #8
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Today has been even better. My bp has stayed at 100/61 with a pulse of 80 as usual although it did go down to 74 at bed time. I have been having to take a nap each day because of the fatigue. I was putting it down to Toprol fatigue but I'm thinking I was just so downed out from the low pressure that I could do nothing else. No dizziness. Can't wait to see what the figures will be in another month when I am ten pounds lighter.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:21 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Benicar is a film-coated pill. If you split a coated pill, you could alter the amount of drug that is aborbed into your body, the speed of the absorption and the timing of when that drug is absorbed.

That said, it sure sounds like splitting Benicar is working for you.

Old 03-20-2005, 10:08 PM   #10
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Actually, the coating on Benicar isn't really there for absorption. It absorbs very quickly even with the coating. It's more for freshness. So, basically, the split tablets won't keep as long.

Pal

Old 03-21-2005, 04:14 AM   #11
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
Actually, the coating on Benicar isn't really there for absorption. It absorbs very quickly even with the coating. It's more for freshness. So, basically, the split tablets won't keep as long.

Pal
I thought that a main reason for coating pills was so that the pill would not be degraded by the harsh acids of the stomach. Coating the pill allows the pill to bypass the stomach, and then be absorbed in the intestines.

How did you find it out that the only reason for the coating on Benicar was for freshness?

OTOH, mikey51 seems to be doing so well by splitting Benicar, that my point is really moot.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:04 AM   #12
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I thought that a main reason for coating pills was so that the pill would not be degraded by the harsh acids of the stomach. Coating the pill allows the pill to bypass the stomach, and then be absorbed in the intestines.

How did you find it out that the only reason for the coating on Benicar was for freshness?

OTOH, mikey51 seems to be doing so well by splitting Benicar, that my point is really moot.
I believe you are referring to an enteric coating. AFAIK, the coating on Benicar is not of this type. Also, Benicar is on the pill splitting list for just about all the insurance companies that have such a program.

Pal

Old 03-21-2005, 06:53 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
I believe you are referring to an enteric coating. AFAIK, the coating on Benicar is not of this type. Also, Benicar is on the pill splitting list for just about all the insurance companies that have such a program.

Pal
I stand corrected. Thanks!

How did you find this stuff out? Most of the articles that I read warn about splitting pills that have coatings, whether enteric or film.

I have some pills of mine that I would like to split, but I have held back because of the coating.

I found the following PDF document, which lists pills that can be split, both brand name and generic:

https://www.bopweb.com/uploadedFiles/TabletSplitting.pdf

My "coated" pills are on it!

Old 03-21-2005, 07:52 AM   #14
(male)

mikey51 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
I stand corrected. Thanks!

How did you find this stuff out? Most of the articles that I read warn about splitting pills that have coatings, whether enteric or film.

I have some pills of mine that I would like to split, but I have held back because of the coating.

I found the following PDF document, which lists pills that can be split, both brand name and generic:

https://www.bopweb.com/uploadedFiles/TabletSplitting.pdf

My "coated" pills are on it!
After going through all the pages myself I finally called my pharmacist to settle it and she said it was okay..So I went with that..

Old 03-21-2005, 06:43 PM   #15
(female)

pat52 HB User

I've been splitting my benicar 40mg in half for about 1 week-Dr. thought I was getting Hypotension. Was running in the upper 80's / low 90's (top number) My pressure is still running in 103-110 /upper 60's& low 70's. Just took it at 8:00 pm 110/71-this a.m 103/66. She told me to keep monitoring and make sure it doesn't go above 130. She told me was o.k. to split Benicar-I was concern about not getting it exactly in half and she said not to worry. I am having abit of trouble splitting it in half with a pill cutter I bought at the Pharmacy-but if my pressure continues at these numbers for 2 week period-she's going to call in the lower dosage. I have noticed my pulse has risen a bit-it was running around 60. Now I'm getting in the upper 60's and low 70's.
I suffered from dizzy spells for past 6 months-I hope the low BP reading were the main cause.
Good Luck with your Benicar reduction-I've lost 30 pounds and hope to lose more -to finally eliminate HP pills totally!

Closed Thread