It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-19-2005, 08:06 PM   #1
(female)

lizabug HB User
Question Accuracy of home blood pressure monitors

I am interested in purchasing a home blood pressure monitor but I'm concerned about the accuracy. Does anyone have anything you could offer about this subject?

Thanks,
Lizabug

Old 03-19-2005, 11:00 PM   #2
(female)

red-rider HB User
Re: Accuracy of home blood pressure monitors

I have a Reli On digital bp monitor. It is the cuff style and you pump it by hand. I bought it at Walmart 4-5yrs ago for $32. It always shows a lower(better) reading than when I have it checked at the pharmacy machine and at the doctor. Maybe because I am on the go when I'm out shopping and nervous at the doctor(white coat). What I really dislike about it is that it has to be pumped up so tightly(past 160) or it wont give an accurate reading~thus~it makes my arm sore Last year I spent $50 on a wrist monitor and it was the same way~hurt my wrist bad and it was way off~much less accurate than the arm cuff type. Wish I could find a good one too!
R.R.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 02:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Lizabug,

The June 03 issue of Consumer Reports did an article on BP monitors, and highly recommend the auto-inflate arm-cuff, digital read-out ones by:
OMRON, LIFESOURCE, LUMISCOPE or RELiON AUTOMATIC... which is made by Omron (sold by Walmart). You probably can't go wrong with any one of those. OMRON seems to be the gold standard, or at least the best known.

I have the auto arm-cuff OMRON HEM-711AC (bought about 2 years ago). Gives me virtually the same readings as my doc gets. Very easy to use. Also has a memory and gives pulse.

zuzu xx

Old 03-20-2005, 03:57 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I have a LUMISCOPE which I think does a superb job and I hope it lives forever...I even ordered a new cuff online to get another 5 years out of it <fingers crossed.> I take about 12 readings a day.
I like the fact that even with that heavy use I get over 6 months out of 4 Duracells. A good little motor apparently.
I bought it at CVS with a Rebate Sale and I think all I eventually paid was like $29.95 or so.

I have the WORST case of White Coat that is humany possible and so after telling my cardiologist that my readings at home are always good he told me to bring in my unit. He tested, I tested (and I heard my unit switch up to the next higher inflation level (40 points up... uh,oh). He got slightly different numbers and then swiched to a different cuff, the first looked like it was for DUMBO. With the smaller cuff on his stethescope unit rig our readings were IDENTICAL...and 30 points higher than I get at home!

Last edited by Lenin; 03-20-2005 at 04:23 AM.

Old 03-20-2005, 04:02 AM   #5
(male)

mikey51 HB User

I have one of the Omron wrist models. I have checked it right after the nurses at the doctors office and it is always within 1 or 2 points either way on the pulse and the BP so I am happy with it. I would probably go with one of the others but I can never find one with a cuff big enough to fit my arm.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:44 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I have a CVS wrist model I bought for about $70. I have calibrated it against my doctor's readings every few months and it is close to what they get. I like it because it is small and I can take it about anywhere very easily.

Old 03-24-2005, 09:44 AM   #7
(female)

evelyn1 HB User

I have the Relion 741 CREI that inflates automatically. It ususally reads my BP higher than the doc's office, which is good because then I don't get too slack thinking it's lower than it is. But, it makes a racket as it inflates which is annoying to me. others have this trouble?

Old 03-24-2005, 04:22 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn1
I have the Relion 741 CREI that inflates automatically. It ususally reads my BP higher than the doc's office, which is good because then I don't get too slack thinking it's lower than it is. But, it makes a racket as it inflates which is annoying to me. others have this trouble?
Nope, I have a ReliOn HEM-780REL. And, it is very quiet.

Pal

Old 03-25-2005, 07:46 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Evelyn,

You shouldn't have bought the diesel powered model.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:14 AM   #10
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Is the consensus that wrist monitors are pretty accurate? I will get one if that's the case.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:49 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by pal7778
Is the consensus that wrist monitors are pretty accurate? I will get one if that's the case.
The biggest problem with wrist monitors is getting the monitor level with your heart. I noticed there is an Omron HEM-637 model that has a feature called A.P.S. (Automatic Positioning Sensor). I was looking at the manual (available in pdf on their website) and it appears to have little arrows that tell you to raise or lower your wrist. Once you get the elevation just right, it takes a reading. Now, I have no idea how in the world this thing can do that. But, if it is doing that reliably, it would solve one of the biggest problems with wrist monitors.

Pal

Old 03-26-2005, 02:18 PM   #12
(male)

lelu HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by evelyn1
I have the Relion 741 and yes, it's a little noisy when inflating but I ignore that.
I checked it with the doc's office and it too reads higher, which is fine.

My problem is that my blood pressure seems to jump around. I can take three readings one right after the other and the Systolic reading may vary ten points. Sometimes higher or lower?

Old 03-26-2005, 03:42 PM   #13
Senior Veteran
(male)

My thoughts about the innacuracy of wrist monitors is that bone is not a good enough approximation to water, which exhibits the same pressure throughout an enclosed volume.
When you squeeze your upper arm with a cuff you are guaranteeing that the volume of the arm, made of muscle and fat outside the humerus, compresses uniformy and all the blood vessels within are exposed to the pressure on the guage.

In the wrist, blood vessels go through channels in the bones and thus, especially in lean people, a wrist monitor might be squeezing the bones with one pressure while the sheltered blood vessels are seeing an entirely different pressure.

Old 03-28-2005, 05:51 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(male)

pal,

No it's not. I think a wrist-monitor is a bad idea because of inaccuracy...in SPITE of the fact that it allows testing while wearing a winter sweater!

Old 03-30-2005, 07:08 AM   #15
Inactive
(male)

Paxilhead HB User

I use an Omron wrist monitor that has the intelli-sense. They are a little pricey, but accurate. It is confirmed as being correct everytime I take it to the docs office for follow-up visits. (I have the OMRON 537 I think)...

Closed Thread