It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-20-2005, 12:01 PM   #1
(female)

DynagirlFms HB User
Just found out I have HBP, so how do I lower this?

Hi All!

I see my doctor every month and at my last 3 visits, my blood pressure was through the roof. It's always been VERY low so this jump is alarming. I am a smoker, but I have a quit date all set up and am pretty good at following up. After all, I've quit before. LOL!

Seriously, I am wondering what 3 things you all would recommend to someone to lower their pressure. I take other meds and do not want to take any more to lower this and my doc said if I didn't do this on my own, that was the next step. HELLLLLPPPPP!

Dyna

Old 03-20-2005, 02:03 PM   #2
(male)

mikey51 HB User
Re: Just found out I have HBP, so how do I lower this?

1. Lose weight if you need to.
2. Low sodium diet.
3. Exercise=Speciffically cardio related. It works
4. Check out every damn thing your doctor tells you. They are human and they make mistakes.
5. Become and advocate for you. Argue, learn, and question everything you are told.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-20-2005, 04:35 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Weight is a funny issue as some can be skinny or fat and still have HBP. But it still is prudent to do so if you are overweight

Low sodium all the way. Under 500Mg. is ideal but try to keep it around 1,000-1500Mg., the close to 1,000Mg. the better. Read lables. Set aside salt shaker.

Combination of Flax/Fish/Borage oil. Twice a day morning and evening. Try to get the equivalent of 3-4 teaspoons per day. Should have an affect in 30 days, plus it will help your complexion.

Co-Q10 take a few a day with the oil if you like. Again it will have an affect in 30 days.

Fasting is a tremendous option. I had an article that looks to have a very good BP lowering affect.
It is 6 days long.
First day only water. 2nd, 3rd, 4rth day eat only apples for breakfast lunch dinner. 5th and 6th day eat apples, salt free bread, and vegatables. Supposably this works real well.

Old 03-20-2005, 08:20 PM   #4
(female)

nailchick2000 HB User

I too have just found out that I have high blood pressure.. and yes I smoke also.. and quitting soon. I've been doing tons of research on this.. I'm not overweight. But using diuretics helps (my doctor told me this plus I"ve read it) and extra potassium is needed ( salt subsitutes are made of potassium.. use freely) plus Co Q10. I have until May 4th to get it down or I will be put on meds.

Old 03-20-2005, 09:53 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

You might want to look into the research on effects of different foods on blood pressure. I have a blood pressure monitor at home, so can check effects readily and I've noticed recently that drinking green tea seems to have the effect of lowering my pressure at least temporarily. I just looked up some of the research on that, and it appears that regular consumption lowered overall risk of HBP and of high cholesterol, as well, in some of the studies done to date. More studies with human subjects would be helpful, but if you have your own monitor, you can begin to get some idea of how certain foods or drinks affect you.

Edit to add: And BTW, I know all the advice one reads about low sodium, but not all people are equally affected by it. I've read that as low a percentage as 10-20% may be affected. I've never seen that I was. I'm currently no longer on BP medication and my pressure now runs high-normal, but I was on as much as 30 mg. Lisinopril for four years. You might want to check out your own pressure after a low-salt day and after a high-salt day to get an idea. Be sure you do it on days that are approximately equal for stress and other factors which might affect your pressure, though.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 03-20-2005 at 10:00 PM. Reason: addition

Old 03-21-2005, 04:16 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Uff-da,

The whole idea of a low salt diet is to not only lower BP but get salt loads off the kidneys so kidneys can heal.
Many feel that heavy salt loads on the Kidneys is what damaged them in the firstplace.
If they are impaired then they would have to go through a healing process to get them back up to snuff.
So lowering salt intake is just the first step of healing and although it may initially have some affect it will and should have greater affect over time.
I do not buy it that only 10-20 percent are affected.
ALL are affected and will benefit in time.

Last edited by Pumper; 03-21-2005 at 04:19 AM.

Old 03-21-2005, 07:21 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

By all means, buy your own blood pressure monitor. Take your relaxed, sitting bp 3 or 4 times over the course of the day, for weeks, and see what your readings are. Keep a record that you can take with you to the doctor's office. If your home relaxed readings are low, then the high readings in the doctor's office are probably just "white coat syndrome" - a lot of people get nervous having their bp taken in the doctor's office, and so they have falsely high readings.

Closed Thread