It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-21-2005, 04:17 PM   #1
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Any headache free BP Meds??

I have tried many and I will give you a list and what happened with Each:

ARB's

Cozzar--Lowers BP good but several days later comes the headaches.

Diovan--Same as Cozzar

Avapro--Same as Cozzar

Aceon--Same as Cozzar

Teveten--Same as Cozzar

-------------------------

Altace--Worked really good from the start but left me with headaches

-------------------------

Calcium channel blockers:

Norvask---Very affective at lowering my BP but left me with 1,000lb. feet

Verapamil---I just recently tried this and I thought I hit the jackpot. This med really made me feel good and was very gentle in lowering my BP at first. Later it almost seemed like it lowered it and then raised it?? After a few days though came the headaches and this time they were at the BACK of my head, and they hurt.

------------------------

Beta Blockers:

Atenonol---Works really good but lowered my pulse from 60-65 bPM minute to about 43-47 per minute. That was O.K. at first but then over time I did get a much smaller type headache although not as bad but felt somewhat different than the others. Still pretty good though.

Coreg---NOTT!! This one just about killed me or so it felt. I had pains in places I never knew existed. To the trash. Anyone want my samples?

I have low sodium intake. My BP rises during the day up to 150/90 and drops into optimal ranges during the evening until morning 117/76. But at this time I still need a little something during the day that does not give headaches. I was using a small amount of Cozzar during the day25Mg. and it worked quite nicely, but then the headaches. At present I just went back on Atenolol and split a pill during the day in 2--12.5 mg doses until I see the doc next month.

My question is what meds are headache free or have a low profile of headaches? With my sodium reduction it takes very little to lower it as all that I tried were very affective.

How about Benicar?

Or another CCB?

Or small combination?

Advice?

My doctor will do just about anything that I ask for if I find something that I think will work, so the doc is great

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-21-2005, 04:54 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User
Re: Any headache free BP Meds??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper
How about Benicar?

Or another CCB?

Or small combination?

Advice?

My doctor will do just about anything that I ask for if I find something that I think will work, so the doc is great
Seeing that you are very sensitive to meds, you might be interested into looking into a device like the RESPeRATE. The concept of the device is to time your beathing so that you do under 10 breaths a minute, with prolonged exhalation, for at least 15 minutes, 3-4 times per week. It is supposed to produce a significant and sustained reduction in blood pressure after eight weeks of use.

I've had been thinking about trying the breathing exercises without the machine, but I forgot all about it. Your note reminded me to try it. I think that I will start tonight.

Watcha think?

Last edited by Machaon; 03-21-2005 at 05:37 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Sure seems like you are having problems with headaches. Looks like you've tried just about everything except a diuretic and diltiazem. I wouldn't recommend a diuretic with a "low sodium intake". Diltizem would probably give you similar results as verapamil (i.e., headache). And, I'd expect Benicar to give you a headache as well.

Also, I'm not sure just how "low" you are talking about for sodium intake. You could conceivably be overdoing it. The ARB will cause some sodium loss over time. Normally, low sodium isn't something to worry about; this just helps the ARB work a little better. However, your headaches could be the result of too low of blood sodium or dehydration. This is also consistent with how the headache sets in later.

Pal

Old 03-21-2005, 05:58 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Seeing that you are very sensitive to meds, you might be interested into looking into a device like the RESPeRATE. The concept of the device is to time your beathing so that you do under 10 breaths a minute, with prolonged exhalation, for at least 15 minutes, 3-4 times per week. It is supposed to produce a significant and sustained reduction in blood pressure after eight weeks of use.

I've had been thinking about trying the breathing exercises without the machine, but I forgot all about it. Your note reminded me to try it. I think that I will start tonight.

Watcha think?

Beerzoids,

Anything to lower BP is worth a try

Go for it and let everyone know how it goes.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pumper
Beerzoids,

Anything to lower BP is worth a try

Go for it and let everyone know how it goes.
I just tried to breathe 10 times per minute for 15 minutes, with fully exhaling. I had to quit at 13 minutes because my chest hurt too badly. Took a nitro.

I think that I was taking too deep a breath, instead of breathing normally and exhaling fully. I'm going to wait a while and then try it again, with a normal breath in, and a full breath out, and see if I can breathe 9 times a minute for 15 minutes without discomfort.

I just read that this type of breathing is also effective in treating more advanced heart disease, such as heart failure, so I am much interested in testing the concept on myself. What do I have to lose?

I'll feed back after a few weeks, if I survive that long, and post if it had any effect on my blood pressure, despite the fact that I don't know if I am doing it right.

Last edited by Machaon; 03-21-2005 at 06:18 PM.

Old 03-21-2005, 06:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Palamedes
Sure seems like you are having problems with headaches. Looks like you've tried just about everything except a diuretic and diltiazem. I wouldn't recommend a diuretic with a "low sodium intake". Diltizem would probably give you similar results as verapamil (i.e., headache). And, I'd expect Benicar to give you a headache as well.

Also, I'm not sure just how "low" you are talking about for sodium intake. You could conceivably be overdoing it. The ARB will cause some sodium loss over time. Normally, low sodium isn't something to worry about; this just helps the ARB work a little better. However, your headaches could be the result of too low of blood sodium or dehydration. This is also consistent with how the headache sets in later.

Pal

Pal,

It is a puzzler indeed. Someone told me elsewhere that the headaches were due to increased blood flow to the head and to take Tylenol. I refrained...because if something is going to give me a headache which I seldom have then I need something different.

I guess personally I still would think that other CCB's might be worth a try as the Verapamil originally was the "king". I mean...it really warmed my feet really nice and toasty. But then the stupid headaches. But it initally had a real gentle lowering affect as well, and felt good.

I have some furosemide here that is my wifes to use "on occassion" in addition to her Avapro.
I might fiddle with it a little. What would you recommend? Perhaps a little Furosemide with a little Atenolol?
Atenolol has been the best with headaches. On a scale of 1-10 with ten being the best I give Atenolol a 7 perhaps.
The Furosemide is in 20Mg pills. The Atenolol is 25Mg. Perhaps
10Mg. of furosemide and 12.5 Mg of atenolol at the same time?

Old 03-22-2005, 07:15 AM   #7
Inactive

Random2 HB User

Atenolol may help with headaches, but it is terrible on my stomach & there are many more posts on this board on what effects people suffered GI wise with Atenolol. On other boards it has received ratings like 2.6 out of 5 by patients (not mentioning names)..... that isn't very good. I know that this sounds weird, but I would rather have headaches than stomach problems....... I would rather not have anything.

Old 03-22-2005, 07:16 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Pumper,

My BEST advice is that there is a strong likelihood that you do not need ANY BP med. It really sould like your day's average may be well below 140/90.

If you need something for the day that is more often a headache CURE than a cause, I recommend 40 mg. propranolol (plain, NOT time release) after breakfast. A small dose of a beta- blocker that will be pretty well gone from your system by evening. I take 80 mg. propranolol at the first sign of migraine "aura"...it usually aborts the headache and it's QUITE effective at lowering BP. And since it's gone by nightfall it won't mess with your sleep; plus, if you are doing something physically demanding just skip the drug that day and you'll be able to "perform" without the drag-down that most beta-blockers cause!

It sounds like you are a borderline migraine person with many "triggers."

(My sister got cracking headaches frrom verapamil.)

Last edited by Lenin; 03-22-2005 at 07:23 AM.

Old 03-22-2005, 04:37 PM   #9
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lillians Axe
Atenolol may help with headaches, but it is terrible on my stomach & there are many more posts on this board on what effects people suffered GI wise with Atenolol. On other boards it has received ratings like 2.6 out of 5 by patients (not mentioning names)..... that isn't very good. I know that this sounds weird, but I would rather have headaches than stomach problems....... I would rather not have anything.

Atenolol has never caused me any stomach problems at all. For that matter it is one of the most mildest to me in that affect. But none of the others caused me any stomach problems either.
At night if my heart should palpitate just a little just 12.5 Mg. and she is quiet and purrs like a kitten. I love it when that happens which is usually not often. So it is good to have on hand. And cheap

So it doesn't give me stomach problems, and is the least offensive in headaches to me.
I think it is a great drug but it can really drop my pulse low, as low as 40 BPM !

Old 03-22-2005, 04:52 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
Pumper,

My BEST advice is that there is a strong likelihood that you do not need ANY BP med. It really sould like your day's average may be well below 140/90.

If you need something for the day that is more often a headache CURE than a cause, I recommend 40 mg. propranolol (plain, NOT time release) after breakfast. A small dose of a beta- blocker that will be pretty well gone from your system by evening. I take 80 mg. propranolol at the first sign of migraine "aura"...it usually aborts the headache and it's QUITE effective at lowering BP. And since it's gone by nightfall it won't mess with your sleep; plus, if you are doing something physically demanding just skip the drug that day and you'll be able to "perform" without the drag-down that most beta-blockers cause!

It sounds like you are a borderline migraine person with many "triggers."

(My sister got cracking headaches frrom verapamil.)

Lenin,

Yes, I think for the most part that my BP during the day is under 140/90 but it gets real close and goes above that up to 152/92 at the highest probably, and then I can actually feel it. It can get a little uncomfortable and I get that Giddy feeling, or awkward feeling.
She is like a jumping bean
When I was in my 30,s it would usually be in the 130/80-84 range but I think it never "jumped".
AAWWW, good old age and sodium sets in (Kidneys go ouch)and it wants to play games now. 49 years old.

So I have to have a little something and my doc agreed. I am low sodium and that, if I hold is a tremendous help.

But I am not a headache person. I never was. Nobody in my very large 9 member family was either. These types of headaches are really funny. They differ from a normal headache somewhat but a headache is the only way to describe them.

Is propanolol in your opinion better than Atenolol? Is it cost efficient? (cheap)

Thanks for the advice BTW !

Oh, and I just got some Sea salt ! This stuff is from Utah and contains many other things other than Sodium Chloride (Acid). It is really nice and mild and is considered a Goumet salt.
Many have claims of lowered BP with it!

Old 03-23-2005, 11:47 AM   #11
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Tiazac, Cardizem etc. -- that class of ccbs -- are routinely prescribed to alleviate headaches. I used to have migraines on occasion for reasons having nothing to do with bp, and they're gone. Try it!

Old 03-23-2005, 12:47 PM   #12
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User

Thanks everybody,

I have an appointment April 18th and I am going to tell the doc I would like to try Propranolol and either Tiazac or Cardizem.
Knowing him if he has samples of these 3 he will give them all to me. If he does not I can expect at least 2 of the 3 in prescription form.

This is whats nice about having a doc who understands BP as he had it severely himself. He has no problems trying to find what works best unlike some other docs I hear about.
I think my solution is in the Betas or CCB's and so far the Betas have the edge in not having headaches. But that Verapamil DID feel nice at first.

Thanks all!

Last edited by Pumper; 03-23-2005 at 12:51 PM.

Closed Thread