It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 10:18 AM   #1
(female)

kaykay5 HB User
rapid heart rate

Could anyone tell me the best med to treat a constant rapid at rest heart rate (100-120bpm) I have tried beta blockers and had anxiety.insomnia side effects. The doctor now wants to try a calcium channel blocker. Any one have this same problem? Thanks

Old 03-23-2005, 10:49 AM   #2
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
Re: rapid heart rate

A calcium channel blocker in the diltiazem family
(Cardizem®; Cardizem® CD; Cardizem® SR; Cartia® XT; Dilacor XR®; Diltia XT®; Tiamate®; Tiazac®, or foreign Angiotrofin A.P.® (Mexico); Angiotrofin® (Mexico); Angiotrofin® Retard (Mexico); Apo-Diltiaz® (Canada); Novo-Diltazem (Canada); Nu-Diltiaz (Canada); Presoken (Mexico); Presoquim (Mexico); Syn-Diltiazem® (Canada); Tilazem® (Mexico))

Will slow heartrate. I take Taztia XT, which is a generic name for Tiazac XT.

Clonidine will slow heartrate, but is not available in one day dosing, and can make you very sleepy, at least until you adjust to it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2005, 01:15 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Verapamil, also a CCB ( similar to diltiazem) slows the heart rate.

Old 03-23-2005, 01:47 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaykay5
Could anyone tell me the best med to treat a constant rapid at rest heart rate (100-120bpm) I have tried beta blockers and had anxiety.insomnia side effects. The doctor now wants to try a calcium channel blocker. Any one have this same problem? Thanks
Digoxin is another drug that slows down the heart. It is taken once per day, and it is very cheap- $20 per hundred pills, without insurance. However, it isn't a treatment for high blood pressure, if that is another one of your needs.

Old 03-24-2005, 08:05 AM   #5
(male)

skovac HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Verapamil, also a CCB ( similar to diltiazem) slows the heart rate.
I was given verapamill for migraine headaches to slow blood pressure and heart rate that causes the pounding. My neuro gave them to me but my GP refused to refill them because he claimed there is no way they would work fast acting for headaches.

Old 03-24-2005, 11:21 AM   #6
(female)

kaykay5 HB User

Thank you for the replies. I will find out on Monday when my doctor gets back in town what medicine he will have me try.
Does anyone know what causes heart rates to be so consisitently high and is it dangerous. Could it be what's causing my insomnia?

Closed Thread