It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2005, 11:10 AM   #1
(male)

skovac HB User
BP situation

I am a 28 yr old guy who has always had normal blood pressure. My BP has always been in the 118-125/68-78 range.

About 3 weeks ago I got a bad sinus infection. I went to the doctor and BP was fine when they did the initial exam. He gave me some anti-biotics and decongestants and sent me on my way.

I took them but 2 weeks later it had gotten worse. I had full ears, throat, dizziness and lightheaded etc. So I went back to be rechecked. This time when they checked my BP it was 132/102. They mentioned it but didnt say anything about watching it or anything. They gave me a high dose anti-biotic, decongestant and steroids.

So I took those for about 5 days and was checking my BP at home and finding it still above 140/90 plus. So all the drugs stated they could cause increased BP. So I stopped taking them as of Monday morning. It has been 48 hours since I took any of the drugs.

I took my BP this morning as soon as I woke up and it was 122/78....i got up went and brushed my teeth and came back to do a recheck about 10 minutes later at it was 142/98....

suggestions....could it still be residule effects of the drugs in my system, the sinus infection or should I go to a doctor ASAP. I should also mention that on top of being sick I work in stressful government and am planning a wedding for later this year.
thanks for any suggestions

Old 03-23-2005, 11:54 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User
Re: BP situation

First of all, planning a wedding is enough to make anyone's blood pressure remain elevated. Second, any illness in the body can cause BP to rise. Third, you can take your blood pressure several times a day and get all different readings depending upon how tight you make the arm band, how you hold your arm, where it is in relation to the machine etc. I would test yourself twice a day. Morning and night for a week and write down each number and then you'd get a better picture.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 03:59 PM   #3
(female)

mandaj HB User
Re: BP situation

decongestants can cause your blood pressure to rise. I had the same problem recently. I went to the doctors beacuse of problems with my ears, light headed, sinus etc and when she took my blood pressure it was high. I had been taking decongestants for several days before. Also feeling stressed is going to make it higher to. Having sinus makes me anxious so my blood pressure always rises.

Closed Thread