It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-24-2005, 09:00 AM   #1
(female)

lavenderfields HB User
Systolic and Diastolic numbers

I remember reading on another post someone mentioned that the Diastolic number doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know what was meant by that? Also, yesterday when I took my bp my systolic was low but the diastolic was normal 101/74. Whenever I see bp listings in a book they always list a difference of at least 50 between the two numbers for example 120/70. Should there be a difference of at least 50, and if not does this indicate a problem.

Old 03-25-2005, 07:58 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User
Re: Systolic and Diastolic numbers

Quote:
Originally Posted by lavenderfields
I remember reading on another post someone mentioned that the Diastolic number doesn't matter anymore. Does anyone know what was meant by that? Also, yesterday when I took my bp my systolic was low but the diastolic was normal 101/74. Whenever I see bp listings in a book they always list a difference of at least 50 between the two numbers for example 120/70. Should there be a difference of at least 50, and if not does this indicate a problem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2005, 08:01 AM   #3
Veteran
(male)

GEORGEP HB User

Both numbers matter. Consistent readings of 140/90 OR HIGHER may indicate Hypertension..

Old 03-25-2005, 11:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

lavenderfields,
Actually the number you see most often is 120/80 and that's 40.

A high diastolic is concern for someone under 40. After that the diastolic tends to remain fairly low but it shouldn't give one solace if the systolic is too high. A high systolic in one's "Golden" years is a sign of the arteries losing their resilience and becoming less able to flex with the pressure pulse...hence higher pressure.

So they are both important but at different times in our lives.

Old 03-26-2005, 05:07 AM   #5
(male)

Oklahoma HB User

I understand why systolic tends to go up as one gets older. However, I'm curious, what makes diastolic tend to go down as one ages???? Thanks.

Old 03-26-2005, 08:13 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

101/74 is a good bp to have; walk around unworried. folks don't agree on the significance of pulse pressure, unless it's over 70 or well under 30. i too would like
to know why diastolic goes down with age. it surely does.

Old 03-26-2005, 10:01 AM   #7

mrmojo HB User

I wish my diastolic would start going down with age

before i was put on meds, that was my only problem - now both are high, plus no med he has had me on will work properly & all have bad side effects

Old 03-26-2005, 02:10 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Oklahoma,

I've often wondered myself why diastolic decreases with age. Perhaps it's because our hearts like most muscles in our body grow weaker at 50 than at 25. So with a weaker beat, both numbers would lower but the stiffening overrides that tendency at the point of maximum "stretch"...the systole.

Closed Thread