It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-26-2005, 02:24 PM   #1
(male)

lelu HB User
Blood pressure up and down

My problem is that my blood pressure seems to jump around. I can take three readings one right after the other and the Systolic reading may vary as much as ten points. Sometimes it's higher, other times lower? I use a Relion 741.

Anyone else notice this?

Old 03-26-2005, 02:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: Blood pressure up and down

Quote:
Originally Posted by lelu
My problem is that my blood pressure seems to jump around. I can take three readings one right after the other and the Systolic reading may vary as much as ten points. Sometimes it's higher, other times lower? I use a Relion 741.

Anyone else notice this?

Blood pressure can do this alot in normal ways. But if it jumps around to much it can get uncomfortable. I think what is happening is that it just hasn't really decided where it wants to settle down at.

I bet if you lower your sodium intake it will settle down.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2005, 06:37 PM   #3
(male)

dand5 HB User

In general, it is a better idea to wait a bit before taking consecutive readings on the same arm. Blood pressure can be disrupted by taking a reading, especially consecutive readings without waiting. Also some automatic monitors can be really clumsy at taking blood pressure leaving you with different back to back results.

On the other hand, if you are taking them on seperate arms, then that variation of 10 points is actually pretty normal.

Old 03-26-2005, 06:50 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Looly HB UserLooly HB User

I have occassionally been having a rise in blood pressure (while on Atenolol) which causes me to feel anxious and raise my bp. For example, before bed last night my pressure was 117/76. I woke up in the middle of the night feeling anxious and taking my pressure to find it 170/105. This has happened on several occassions. Along with that I got felt flushed and then got the chills. Has anyone ever experienced this? I dont think it's a heart problem because it goes away just as it comes and I have had an EKG and dr finds no problem with the heart. This started about a year ago and I've had it maybe four times since. Any experience with these symptoms?

Old 03-27-2005, 07:18 AM   #5
(male)

lelu HB User

dang5,

You're probably correct.. I should just use the first reading.

Thanks for all the replys.

Old 03-27-2005, 07:38 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

A 10 pt. variation in three consecutive readings is perfectly normal, esp. if you don't
rest at all before the first one. That always happens to me, whether or not I wait several minutes btwn. readings or use different arms. It's hard to know what to make of that fact, but 10pts systolic ain't much, really. My own opinion, based on no science, is the most accurate thing you could do is take the average of two readings at least 5 mins apart.

Old 03-28-2005, 09:02 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Lolasmom, almost the exact same thing happened to me when I was taking another beta blocker called Toprol XL. Unlike you, Toprol made my blood pressure higher, and slowly rise over the course of the day. Then, occasionally in the middle of the night, I would awake, feeling anxious, heart pounding, and my blood pressure would be sky high. I would have to take an additional clonidine pill and wait for it to kick in before my blood pressure would start to fall. I'm not sure about the flushed part, but I would definately get cold afterward.

This got to be more frequent, like almost every night, and then I started having an occasional spike in the middle of the day. It was pretty scarey. I finally wondered if it was the beta blocker and weaned myself off it. Since I've been off Toprol, my blood pressure is lower, especally in the evening, and I almost never have those spikes. The ones I do very rarely have, are just a mild increase in bp, which doesn't last very long.
I think I suffer residual damage from the beta blocker, which is why I am slowly having fewer and fewer of these episodes as time goes on.

Depending on your age, you may be experiencing hot flashes, but I don't think they come with sharply increased blood pressure, so my money is on the beta blocker doing it to you.

Closed Thread