It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-29-2005, 04:39 AM   #1

MiffyBunny HB User
High BP and gatorade

Hello.
My dad has high blood pressure and about a year ago had a stroke had his left side paralized for about 2 weeks.
Now he's recovered but he is not the same. He is 59 and before the stroke he didnt know about his blood pressure, though most of his family suffers from it. He used to drink whisky almost daily (about 2 glasses) but now he doesnt drink at all.
He's done physical rehabilitation, accupunture and chinese medicine. I think the first one was the most helpful one and recovered quickly.
My concern is that he is always tired. He used to be very active, played golf and excercise daily. He goes for a walk daily but doesnt have the energy for any sports.
If you've known him before, now just by talking to him you can tell he is not the same.

He avoids salty foods and pork. Also, his doctor recommended Gatorade and that's my concern.
I know Gatorade is good when you're playing a sport to keep you hydrated. But I wonder if it might have any ingredient that could be harmful for people with high blood pressure.
I am asking this because I read somewhere that gatorade is not good for you because it has a lot of sugar in it.

By the way, what foods should he avoid, besides salt and pork?

Thanks.

Old 03-29-2005, 06:33 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: High BP and gatorade

He should avoid the Gatorade. NOBODY sedentary needs a mix of sugar and salt (450 mg. sodium per Liter.)
Ohhh, and that AWFUL taste...like diluted SWEAT <yecch.>

Of course he should avoid all fatty meats (beef is even WORSE than pork), limit his butterfat, and ELIMINATE all hydrogenated foods.
As a stroke survivor, he must RELIGIOUSLY control his BP to even lower levels than most people.

Last edited by Lenin; 03-29-2005 at 06:33 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2005, 10:28 AM   #3

MiffyBunny HB User

Thanks very much for the reply. I'm glad I asked and will make sure to tell mom to stop buying it.

I didnt know beef was worse than cow. We eat beet a lot as we live in Argentina. Now I feel bad.

Thanks for the info!

Old 03-29-2005, 11:18 AM   #4

mrmojo HB User

Actually, Argentine beef isnt that bad for you, (assuming its still mostly grass fed) whats really bad for you is grain fed beef, its really fatty

I usually eat elk or pork, but when I do get beef i try to buy grass fed beef from Colorada, its a lot leaner & I think it tastes better

just to clarify things - any animal thay is kept in a confinement situation like a feed lot, etc is worse than one that is allowed to roam the pasture

Whats hard to get is free range chickens, they cost about 3 times as much as buying them from walmart, by the time you figure cost of feed & cleaning them yourselves its still twice as much if you raise your own

cattle & hogs can be a lot cheaper, though if you have a few acres to use for pasture

Last edited by mrmojo; 03-29-2005 at 11:35 AM.

Old 03-29-2005, 01:13 PM   #5
(male)

mikey51 HB User

What kind of meds is he on?

Old 03-29-2005, 01:29 PM   #6
(male)

skovac HB User

gatorade has a lot of potassium in it which is good for BP and overall heart health!

Old 03-30-2005, 09:16 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

There are better ways of getting potassium without all the sugar and salt in Gatoraid for an inactive individual. He should eat a banana every day instead.

Gatoraid was invented for big hulking football players during a game. With all that intense exercise, they need to replace salts and need the sugar for quick energy. A person who hardly gets any exercise at all doesn't need that junk.

Old 03-30-2005, 09:29 AM   #8
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I did a web search and found sites that say avoid Gatorade in low salt diets.

Here are the ingredients:
------------------------------------
Gatorade Lemonade

Ingredients: water, sucrose syrup, glucose-fructose syrup, citric acid, natural and artificial flavors, salt, sodium citrate, monopotassium phosphate, ester gum, sucrose acetate isobutyrate, yellow 5

Nutrition Facts: serving size: 8 fl oz; calories 50; total fat 0g; sodium 110mg; potassium 30mg; total carbs 14g; sugars 14g
-------------------------------------
An 8 ounce glass of Gatorade had 110mg of salt, and only 30 mg of postassium.

Here is the nutrition information on a banana:
--------------------------------
1 banana = 105 calories, 0.5 g. fat, 27 g carbohydrate, 1.2 g protein, 1 mg sodium, 0 mg cholesterol, 2.2 g fiber, 451 mg potassium.
----------------------------------
Yea, its more calories, but it has 451 mg of potassium, only 1 mg of salt and has 2.2 g of fiber (something also good for a sedintary person).

Old 03-30-2005, 10:23 AM   #9

MiffyBunny HB User

Thanks all for the replies and the information.

I am happy to know that argentine meat is not so bad (they are still all grass fed) because I can't imagine Saturday dinners without BBQ.

I always thought Gatorade was good for health for anybody because of all the benefit information in the bottle. I didnt know it had that much sugar and thought it was sodium free. I will make sure to tell him.

My mom makes juices with fresh fruits everyday, so I guess that's better than anything artificial. I will tell her to add banana for potasium.

Old 03-30-2005, 10:39 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Mgray,

You are correct. I take HCTZ, eat a banana a day in my Smart Start cereal and have no problem with potassium levels.

Closed Thread