It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2005, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

Sandra49 HB User
Low Sodium Frozen TV Dinners?

Hi All,

It's been a long time since I posted. I am still on Norvasc, and still having good results. Now that is Spring, I would like to shed some weight again! I have been looking in the grocers, for quick meals, and am disappointed to see all frozen meals by Healthy Choice and Lean Cuisine with sodium contents between 600 - 1500! Do any of you know of any low sodium frozen meals?

Last edited by Sandra49; 04-10-2005 at 06:06 PM.

Old 04-11-2005, 04:08 AM   #2
Inactive

Moxie75 HB User
Re: Low Frozen TV Dinners?

Hi Sandra,

No I don't and I would stay away from frozen meals. If you want a quick replacement meal a slim fast shake is good. I prepare my weeks meals on a Sunday and feeze them in small portions. I also poach some or grille some skinless chicken breast and make chicken salad and make a sandwhich on 7 grain bread. I make enough to get me through a few days. This way you can monitor your own salt. I put no salt at all in my chicken salad the low fat mayo and mixtire of mustard provides a small amount of salt for taste. Another great healthy meal is a Crazy Richard's chunky peanut and strawberry sandwhich. I replace the jelly with fresh fruit... .Lisa

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2005, 04:38 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Sandra,

Nope, none that I've found, and the painfully humorous thing is that Lean Cuisine and Healthy Choice ARE the low salt alterntives. There are HUNGRY MAN cholces with 3 GRAMS of sodium and all the Sw@nson's, Banquet, Stouffer's regualar line are loaded with salt usually pushing the 2 gram barrier.

A sad fact is that even the two that are supposed to be "healthy and lean" achieve most of their salt reduction with preposterously small servings...and HIGHER prices.

I guess the only way to make overprocessed, tasteless food edible is to give them some taste cheapy...SALT!

Truth be told, I think most of the Stouffer's stuff, including the Lean Cuisine, is quite tasty. The 16 ounce Stouffer's Pot Pies are really delicious...and SALTY. I succumb about once a week when I can't bear to look at another POT...and I take an HCTZ after the meal.

If you are watching your waistline however, your choices are pretty much limited to the LC and the HC! (Or that ghastly BUDGET line: teeny servings that tastes like the cardboard packaging<yeccch!>)

Last edited by Lenin; 04-11-2005 at 04:43 AM.

Old 04-11-2005, 09:43 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Lean Cuisine has a new line out with about 220-300 calories and less than 30% of the daily sodium recommendation. That's the lowest I've found.

Old 04-11-2005, 12:14 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

When I was watching my salt intake more but wanted a quick meal without a lot of dishes, I'd choose one of the Healthy Choice 600 mg sodium meals and supplement it with fresh fruits and/or vegetables. Since the other two meals of the day would typically include things like homemade soup (from my freezer), a fresh salad, oatmeal and the like, I had more control over the sodium content in those meals and could end up with a total of under 2400 mg. or often under 2000 mg. for the day. A person who needed to severely restrict their sodium would have difficulty, though.

Last edited by Uff-Da!; 04-11-2005 at 12:16 PM.

Old 04-12-2005, 08:27 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

I do like Uff-Da, if I eat one of the Lean Cuisine meals I mentioned, I suppliment them with fresh or frozen unsalted veggies and some fruit. I also eat low sodium meals for breakfast and lunch to keep my sodium content down. Eating lots of salt doesn't seem to make my bp rise, but it can easily cause an extra pound or two from water retention for the next day.

Closed Thread