It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2005, 09:22 PM   #1
(female)

dora333 HB User
Question is teveten a good high blood preasure med?

hello i am 32 and last night my husband took me to the doctor because i had a headpain when i got there my blood preasure was 171/76 and he told me i had hbp and gave me teveten and anyone help me where i can get some good info....i am kinda scared...i would appprieciate it! thanks!!!!

Old 04-24-2005, 02:04 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User
Re: is teveten a good high blood preasure med?

Dora-

Teveten is one of the newer additions to a class of antihypertensive meds known as the ARBs (angiotension 2 receptor blockers).

The ARBs are good meds in that they not only control moderate hypertension for most people but are virtually free of side effects. For those who don't get appropriate BP control on an ARB alone, the addition of a diuretic is usually very effective. I myself take an ARB (Diovan) and it gives me great control all by itself.

Apart from the head pain, did the doctor find anything else wrong? What was his "diagnosis?"

Was this an ER visit or doctor's office?

Have you ever had elevated BP before?

I'm rather surprised that he thrust you onto medication based on one moderate reading. Your bottom number of 76 is perfectly NORMAL. In fact, it is OPTIMAL. The top # should be below 140, and ideally around 120. But still, unless there is something else the doc found that was concerning, with 176/76, and no other health issues, most doctors would want to monitor your BP for a while before prescribing meds, especially at the young age of 32!

Pain and anxiety alone can make your BP soar temporarily. And that doesn't necessarily mean you have high blood pressure.

Since your bottom number was so good, that reading sure smacked of anxiety to me rather than true hypertension.

Before I go on a rant about pill-pushing doctors, tell us a little more. What did he tell you? and what's the next step he wants you to take?

zuzu xx

Last edited by zuzu8; 04-24-2005 at 02:10 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-24-2005, 04:36 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

AGAIN we have a doctor who cannot read. These guys are NOT supposed to use the newest, weakest, most expensive therapy first.

From the manufaturer's OWN web site:
Quote:
TEVETEN and TEVETEN HCT are indicated for the treatment of hypertension. TEVETEN HCT is NOT indicated for initial therapy.
Tell your doctor to read the PRESCRIBING INFO for the drugs he writes Rx's for, or have his nurse read it to him.

Last edited by Lenin; 04-24-2005 at 04:39 AM.

Old 04-24-2005, 07:49 AM   #4
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
AGAIN we have a doctor who cannot read. These guys are NOT supposed to use the newest, weakest, most expensive therapy first.

From the manufaturer's OWN web site:
Quote:
TEVETEN and TEVETEN HCT are indicated for the treatment of hypertension. TEVETEN HCT is NOT indicated for initial therapy.
Tell your doctor to read the PRESCRIBING INFO for the drugs he writes Rx's for, or have his nurse read it to him.
Huh? Your quote says that Teveten HCT is not for initial therapy. AFAIK, the orginal post said nothing about HCT. Therefore, I don't think the doctor went off label. Other than cost, I think an ARB is an ideal initial drug.

Now, I do have the same problems as Zuzu with this doctor. Prescribing a drug based on a single reading is ludicrous. Especially, when that reading looks like pure anxiety. He should have simply monitored. And, he should have also recommended home monitoring.

Pal

Old 04-24-2005, 09:58 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Wouldn't it be the weakness of the ARB (and so lack of dangers and side effects) that makes it a fine first choice? The expense might be a problem. I also agree that by taking the drug before watching the bp for a while to see if its anxiety-driven and comes down on its own the assumption will be made that the ARB is the key. So I might lay off the ARB for a couple weeks and try to relax.

Old 04-25-2005, 05:03 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

pal,

Unfortunately the scenario often becomes
1. Give Weakest and Most Expensive first.
2. Raise the dosage to it's maximum level (because the lower dose didn't do bupkis)
3. ADD another drug.
That scenario allows the weakest, least effect drug to be used ad-infinitum.

If they took you OFF a drug that wasn't doing it's job, then you would be correct but that would cut into drug sales and might be viewed as ANATHEMA!

My doctor said flat-out "Take the Cozaar up to 100 mg. and if it STILL isn't doing anything, then we'll add something else, perhaps a channel blocker."
I swear!

Old 04-25-2005, 08:23 AM   #7
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Doctors vary. My doctor tried me on several drugs, one at a time. If a drug didn't work after 3-4 weeks, or I had side effects, we tried something different.

Closed Thread