It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2005, 11:49 AM   #1
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User
What does your blood pressure do when you get really tired?

What does your blood pressure do when you get really tired?

I seen to have inherited my father's inability to sleep. I thrash, get up to pee 4 or 5 times, wake up before the alarm, sometimes wake up in the middle of the night and can't go back to sleep for an hour or more, etc. On top of this, I rarely can get to bed as early as I should. So, I am chronically sleep deprived, sometimes to the point of feeling really toasted.

The tireder I am, the lower my blood pressure and pulse are. I can get down to 100/59 with a pulse of 54 or so. If I do manage to catch up on a little sleep, like over an extended holiday, my blood pressure will creep up to 124/73 or so. Is this normal? I thought I read that exhaustion pushed up blood pressure.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 05:00 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User
Re: What does your blood pressure do when you get really tired?

I also have a sleep problem. I typically wake up only once during the night. That's because after awakening, I'm usually unable to get back to sleep unless I've been awake a minimum of four hours and have eaten a meal or very large snack. Now that I'm retired and stay home most of the day, the problem is easily solved. I just have a split-shift night. When I say I'm taking a nap, I really mean my daytime "split-shift" of sleep, from two to four hours. The problem comes when I have several consecutive days when something about my schedule interferes and I'm unable to get that daytime sleep. Then my blood pressure raises - up to 20 points!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2005, 06:11 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

bharkins HB User

Mgray,

I have exactly the same sleeping patterns as you. Is this all due to the BP drugs or are we just problem sleepers? I really don't know if my pressure is affected when I am overtired because I am too darn tired to take it.

Old 05-02-2005, 08:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Like I say, I saw this restless sleep pattern with my father. With me it has gradually gotten worse as I've gotten older, so there is definately an inherited pattern. I am also suspicious that the clonidine might be part of the problem as well. Drugs that make me sleepy during the day often interfere with my sleep at night. My other drug is Tiazac, a ccb. Some people on this board have said that a ccb has given them insomnia, but I did not notice any particular change after taking it.

Old 05-02-2005, 03:18 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
I am also suspicious that the clonidine might be part of the problem as well.
It has that effect on me too. I can't take it in the daytime beause it will make doze off even when I'm standing up but it keeps me awake at night. It is especially hard to fall asleep if I take it before bedtime. I have to wait untill I am ready to go to bed. Then I will wake up through the night and never really feel rested.
Cass

Closed Thread