It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-30-2005, 01:58 AM   #1

redherring HB User
Colonoscopy Prep & Elevated BP

I have to do a colonscopy prep tomorrow and discovered the prep material (Fleets Phospho Soda) is VERY HIGH in sodium. Something like 9 grams of sodium Is this prep going to drive my blood pressure over the top??? It must be safe, since my gastro doc does alot of elderly patients. I hope someone here can answer...

Old 04-30-2005, 05:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: Colonoscopy Prep & Elevated BP

redherring,
Yes the sodium insult is HUGE. But it works by the process of a dilutional effect thus water is PUMPED into the intestines to dilute the concentrated salts. This huge volume into the colon is what "cleans you out."
Your BP will probably spike somewhat but it should return to normal in a couple days.

They've been using the product a long time and BELIEVE ME, it's a LOT better than the old method where you had to drink a GALLON of the vile liquid. It will be OK.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2005, 09:23 AM   #3

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lenin
redherring,
Yes the sodium insult is HUGE. But it works by the process of a dilutional effect thus water is PUMPED into the intestines to dilute the concentrated salts. This huge volume into the colon is what "cleans you out."
Your BP will probably spike somewhat but it should return to normal in a couple days.

They've been using the product a long time and BELIEVE ME, it's a LOT better than the old method where you had to drink a GALLON of the vile liquid. It will be OK.

Thanks for the feedback, Lenin.

I just read the box and each tablespoon contains 1668 mgs of sodium. So, 1668 x 3 tblspoons = 5004 mgs of sodium (for the day before the scope) I'm willing to bet I eat close to 5000mgs of sodium a day! Even though the guidelines call for 2400mgs per day. I think most of us exceed that amount, unless they're on a sodium restricted diet.

Old 04-30-2005, 09:44 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I have a colonoscopy scheduled for 5/10. My gastro doc gave me pills for the prep. They're called visicol. Anybody heard of them.

I am a little uneasy about taking them, wondering what they will do to my BP. The bottle warns about taking them if you are taking a diuretic. My diuretic is part of my Benicar so I can't discontinue them.

Since I am a confessed "med phobic" I am wondering if I will be able to take them when the time comes.

Cass

Old 04-30-2005, 10:01 AM   #5

redherring HB User

I'm a MAJOR medophobe too! I think we'll be okay with our scopes. Colonoscopies are pretty routine and doctors are used to doing this procedure on the elderly and others that are on various types of drugs.

Old 04-30-2005, 10:42 AM   #6
(female)

lindiana53 HB User

My husband was given Miralax, a powder that we mixed with Crystal Light. It wasn't salty. In fact, it had no taste at all and didn't make him sick. It seems like a very good product.

Old 04-30-2005, 02:14 PM   #7
(female)

pat52 HB User

I was taking 40mg of Benicar at the time I had my colonoscopy. I too was nervous because I also have MVP. I had that nasty tasting stuff in the little bottles that you dilute with liquid-mine was lemon-ginger flavored-(someone at work told me to mix it with 7-up) that was the most nasty tasting thing I ever drank-I can taste it just talking about it-lol That is the worse part of the procedure-drinking the stuff.
I took my pills prior to the procedure and had no problem-two pre-cancerous polyps were removed so I am glad I got it done. I almost didnt go!

Good Luck

Closed Thread