It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2005, 07:30 PM   #1

Emak HB User
28 year old male... 146/84 (detailed explanation)

In the endless search for answers to my dizziness/pressure in my head, I have started looking into blood pressure problems. Today I went to the Drug Store and tested my own blood pressure 4 times in a row. The first one was immediatedly after walking from the parking lot and sitting down, and it dropped each time I tested it. I should point out that I workout 3-4 days per week and this walk from the parking lot should not have been a strain on me at all.

146/84
142/81
134/80
134/74

This seems to be pretty high, but not dangerously high (i dont guess). But in my quest to find the root of my symptoms, it just adds another mystery to the equation... Below you can read about my symptoms and reply with comments, questions, or even better, ideas!

Keep in mind, I am an otherwise healthy 28 yr old male with no history of any medical problems, I have never been hospitalized for any reason. I have considered every possibility from: impeding stroke, heart problems, lung problems, brain tumor, lung cancer, high blood pressure, all the way down to the least likely, anxiety. I should point out that the ENT doc cleared me of any sinus or ear troubles.

THE FOLLOWING IS A LIST OF SYMPTOMS:

1. My head feels like it is full of water all of the time, there is pressure in my head and my head constantly feels like it is swimming under water. This has been going on constantly for at least 2 years.

2. Although I have what could be described as a "dry stuffy nose", the ENT doctor recently cleared me of any sinus or ear problems. The level of blockage in my nose is usually consistant with the amount of pressure I'm feeling in my head at the moment.

3. Occasionally I will have EXTREME dizzy spells where the room bounces around VIOLENTLY and/or spins out of control. These events normally only last a few seconds to a few minutes, but the "lingering effects" of these events have lasted days before on occasion, especially when laying down on my side or tilting my head back. This dizziness is not caused by sudden movement, but rather is constant in any position when it occurs.

4. There are days when I experience no dizziness at all, however the pressure in my head is allways there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.

5. There seems to be no particular trigger that sets off the dizzy spells, they happen for no apparent reason at all.

With these type of problems creeping up on me at age 28, I have been psychologically challenged to foresee happily the next 50 years of my life that I am "supposed" to have.

Last edited by Emak; 05-05-2005 at 07:34 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2005, 08:17 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

Stumper HB User
Re: 28 year old male... 146/84 (detailed explanation)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emak
In the endless search for answers to my dizziness/pressure in my head, I have started looking into blood pressure problems. Today I went to the Drug Store and tested my own blood pressure 4 times in a row. The first one was immediatedly after walking from the parking lot and sitting down, and it dropped each time I tested it. I should point out that I workout 3-4 days per week and this walk from the parking lot should not have been a strain on me at all.

146/84
142/81
134/80
134/74

This seems to be pretty high, but not dangerously high (i dont guess). But in my quest to find the root of my symptoms, it just adds another mystery to the equation... Below you can read about my symptoms and reply with comments, questions, or even better, ideas!

Keep in mind, I am an otherwise healthy 28 yr old male with no history of any medical problems, I have never been hospitalized for any reason. I have considered every possibility from: impeding stroke, heart problems, lung problems, brain tumor, lung cancer, high blood pressure, all the way down to the least likely, anxiety. I should point out that the ENT doc cleared me of any sinus or ear troubles.

1. My head feels like it is full of water all of the time, there is pressure in my head and my head constantly feels like it is swimming under water. This has been going on constantly for at least 2 years.

2. Although I have what could be described as a "dry stuffy nose", the ENT doctor recently cleared me of any sinus or ear problems. The level of blockage in my nose is usually consistant with the amount of pressure I'm feeling in my head at the moment.

3. Occasionally I will have EXTREME dizzy spells where the room bounces around VIOLENTLY and/or spins out of control. These events normally only last a few seconds to a few minutes, but the "lingering effects" of these events have lasted days before on occasion, especially when laying down on my side or tilting my head back. This dizziness is not caused by sudden movement, but rather is constant in any position when it occurs.

4. There are days when I experience no dizziness at all, however the pressure in my head is allways there, 24 hours a day, 7 days a week, 365 days per year.

5. There seems to be no particular trigger that sets off the dizzy spells, they happen for no apparent reason at all.

With these type of problems creeping up on me at age 28, I have been psychologically challenged to foresee happily the next 50 years of my life that I am "supposed" to have.

Emak,

Maybe I can try to help you here. I am not a doc whatsoever but some of my symptoms are very much like yours. I too feel pressure in my head at certain times of the day most usually when I get spikes or jumps in blood pressure in the 140,s or occassionaly 150's if it should happen.
IF you look at your BP numbers there looks to be a very slight spread in your numbers though not drastic. The upper number tells you the pressure within the heart and the lower number tells you the pressure within the arteries. You may be getting "rushes" all day long with such numbers if they remain that way. BP meds should help you with this quite alot as they will allow that upper number to fall, possibly and hopefully, and bring into proportion with the lower number which should aleviate the pressure you feel in your head. It does this for me anyway. My guess is that a Beta blocker would be very helpful here, although there are many choices. Keep in mind that this is MY opinon only, nothing more as I have suffered somewhat the same.

What is your pulse rate?

Is your doc aware of your blood pressure?

How is your cholesterol?

Also have you noticed any "extra" heartbeats? Sometimes extra heartbeats with such pressures can increase the feeling in the head. It has me anyway. A Beta blocker will help knock them out.

Last edited by Stumper; 05-05-2005 at 08:27 PM.

Old 05-05-2005, 10:12 PM   #3
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

The symptoms you give, vertigo with a feeling of "fullness" in your head, are typical of tinnitus. You may or may not have ringing in the ears, but the "fullness" plus the vertigo or dizziness is typical. An inner ear problem is likely. There is a board here for inner ear disorders. If you list your symptoms there, I assure you, you will find kindred spirits.

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-06-2005, 06:58 AM   #4

redherring HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emak

146/84
142/81
134/80
134/74

I think your BP has to be a lot higher than your numbers before you actually feel symptoms. That's why HBP is called the silent killer. This is most likely some sort of inner ear thing. I would go to the doctor as soon as you can to ease your mind. BTW - Anxiety can make you dizzy and spike your BP too!!

Last edited by redherring; 05-06-2005 at 06:59 AM.

Old 05-06-2005, 08:07 AM   #5
(male)

mghealth HB User

Yes - I agree that the BP figures you've posted woudl typically not cause those kinds of symptoms.

Do you feel anxious or worried during your readings?

When I get very anxious about my readings, I can cause them to spike up to 170/110! However, at full physical and mental rest, my BP is around 117/70.

1. Stay away from high sodium foods; don't add salt to foods.
2. Exercise at least 45 mins. daily if possible.
3. Stay away from cholesterol, saturated fats and trans fats.
4. Keep an anxiety-free, positive attitude towards your health.

All of these have helped me go from a consistent 140+/80+ BP to an optimal at-rest level.

Old 05-07-2005, 05:32 AM   #6
(male)

CeeTee HB User

It's important to check your BP while you are at rest! If at rest your systolic reads over 130 I would consult my doc. Any systolic reading above 140 should be taken seriously. Your diastolic seems to remain on the low side which is a good thing.

Closed Thread