It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-06-2005, 05:17 PM   #1
(female)

Jillygirl HB User
Muscle Tension

Hi there

I have a question regarding muscle tension when taking bp readings. I suffer from fybromyalgia and notice that my muscles seem very tense & tight especially in the am. When I take my first bp reading, it always is around 130 - 140/80 or 83. Then, I conciously relax all those tight muscles (especially in my legs), and redo the bp reading. ALWAYS I get a much lower reading the second time around, usually about 118 - 125/70 or73. I know I must be tense during the day, and if the muscle tension is any indicator, then I probably have higher bp while my muscles are in this tense state. I'm wondering if a muscle relaxant would do the same thing for me as a blood pressure pill. (I am now taking lisinopril - dr wants me to take 10mg, but got stomach problems, so put myself at 5mg).

Also I'm wondering why my doctor didn't try the muscle relaxant first, where she knows I have fybromyalgia!! I am going to see her again at the end of this month to have blood tests & have a bp reading at her office (will probably be off the charts as she makes me wicked nervous ) I think the relaxants would help my muscle tension & my bp too!!

Has anyone any ideas about muscle tension & whether it could affect the bp this way??? I would appreciate hearing from you. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2005, 05:50 PM   #2
(male)

Super Mario HB User
Re: Muscle Tension

you are not measuring your BP properly

it doesn't matter if muscle is tense or not, you should measure when the special sound first occur(systole) and first dissappear(diastole)

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-07-2005, 05:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

Jillygirl,

Just ignore the first reading and average the next two.
Who diagnosed your fibromylagia?

Old 05-07-2005, 09:30 AM   #4
(female)

Jillygirl HB User

Hi again,

I was diagnosed with fibromyalgia about 10 years ago by a rheumatologist.
About measuring my bp - I have an automatic bp monitor - an Omron. I think that throwing out the first reading is a good idea, and I wish my doctor would do the same thing!! Her nurse once did that - she threw out the first reading, and the second reading was 10 pts lower for systolic. I never have high in the diastolic readings, and when I take the bp meds, it lowers the bottom number alot more than the top one. The top number seems to fluctuate alot more.
Hopefully, I will talk to my doctor about the fibro & muscle tension, and maybe she will give other meds, as the lisinopril really bothers my stomach. I know there are other meds out there, but I really don't have the patience to try alot of them, and my stomach reacts to just about everything!! That's part of the fibro too.
Thanks for your input - just wondered if anyone else noticed muscle tension could affect the numbers of bp, but I guess not many of you have noticed that sort of thing.

Old 05-08-2005, 11:21 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

zuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB Userzuzu8 HB User

Jillygirl,

I don't know much about the muscle tension that accompanies fibromyalgia, but I DO know that if one tenses the cuffed arm while taking BP, the reading will be higher.

That's why we're advised to keep the arm limp and relaxed, (not held up stiff and straight in the air!) supported either by the nurse/doc themselves, or on a table....

zuzu xx

Closed Thread