It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-07-2005, 08:35 PM   #1
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User
How long did the diuretic take...

Greetings,

For those of you who are or have taken diuretics, how long did they take to work? I have been taking hydrochlorothiazide for 4 days, and I haven't noticed any increase in urination, (which they said would happen) but, today I noticed my pressure was 125/75, about a 20/10 drop for my average. Anybody know if this stuff works without causing all the extra peeing?

Regards, Brenden.

Old 05-08-2005, 03:48 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User
Re: How long did the diuretic take...

Brenden,
If you got the nice BP drop, you peed extra. Sometimes it's not as noticeable but a little more each time adds up.
Often what IS more noticeable is a weight drop of several pounds as your BP lowers. Remember water is a pound a pint.
Also, people who have eaten the most salt beforefand will pee out the most; those who have been restricting sodium will not notice so much diuresis.

There is a long term claim for diuretics that they also have the capacity to dilate the arterioles slightly (vasodilation) but it's not a factor at the 4 day mark.

I hope you continue to get good numbers with thiazide (and eat the banana!)

Last edited by Lenin; 05-08-2005 at 03:54 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 10:47 AM   #3
(female)

archie9uk HB User

I take hydrochlorothiazide (and lisinopril). I don't think it had a dramatic effect on my numbers, but I have noticed that it makes me need to pee more often. I hardly ever used to need a pee in the night, but now I do almost every night. It was particularly noticeable when I first started taking the meds (for the first few weeks), but still affects me now. I find it incredibly annoying, as I get a lot of headaches, so if I'm going out I drink less (to make me need to pee less) and then I get a headache because I'm dehydrated. I sometimes feel like I can't win!

Old 05-08-2005, 11:20 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

I take hydrochlorothiazide also, 25mgs. I take it in the am but it doesn't seem to start to make me go till about 12 hours later. That seems like a long time to me.
Cass

Old 05-08-2005, 11:51 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Exegesis HB UserExegesis HB User

Greetings,

Thanks for the replies. This moring I noticed that my heart rate is up about 15 bpm. I know that this can be a side effect of the drug. Hopefully I will adjust to normal.

Regards, Brenden.

Closed Thread