It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2005, 02:42 AM   #1
(female)

red-rider HB User
Home Bp monitor hurts my arm!

I have a Reli-On brand monitor that I have used for several years. It seems to give accurate readings but if I take my BP once daily-OR-several times in a week,my arm is killing me. It has a digital read out and once the cuff is in place it has to be pumped past the 165 mark in order to give a proper reading. This is extremely tight on my arm. I have tried only pumping to a lower number but it gives an error sign. The one at the doc's office never feels tight or "hurts" but my home unit does. Since I have white coat I rely on my home unit for best readings. Are the self inflating any better? I dont mind paying more for a good one because my arm is sore from the one I have. Any good ideas for me?
R.R.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 04:39 AM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Palamedes HB User
Re: Home Bp monitor hurts my arm!

Quote:
Originally Posted by red-rider
I have a Reli-On brand monitor that I have used for several years. It seems to give accurate readings but if I take my BP once daily-OR-several times in a week,my arm is killing me. It has a digital read out and once the cuff is in place it has to be pumped past the 165 mark in order to give a proper reading. This is extremely tight on my arm. I have tried only pumping to a lower number but it gives an error sign. The one at the doc's office never feels tight or "hurts" but my home unit does. Since I have white coat I rely on my home unit for best readings. Are the self inflating any better? I dont mind paying more for a good one because my arm is sore from the one I have. Any good ideas for me?
R.R.
Yes, the auto inflate types are better. They monitor things as they are inflating. So, they only inflate to what is really needed - much more comfortable.

My personal favorite is the Omron 780. I really like the cuff on this model. Also, I've been really impressed with the speed that it takes a reading. Walmart sells a ReliOn equivalent for around $58. Sam's sells the true Omron brand for around the same price. What I don't like is the fact that Omron recently changed the appearance and feature set. And, they gave this new model the exact same model number. Very confusing. BTW, the one sold as Sam's is the newer version. Aside from the different appearance, the new model also has some kind of averaging function. Mine is of the older type, so I don't know how this feature works.

Pal

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2005, 10:15 AM   #3
Inactive
(male)

mg_health HB User
Lightbulb Re: Home Bp monitor hurts my arm!

I use the Consumer Reports' #1 rated BP monitor: Omron HEM-711AC. Try it out. It's a little more expensive ($65-$75), but well worth it, and it doesn't hurt my arm.

Old 05-08-2005, 01:34 PM   #4
(female)

pat52 HB User

The monitor I use had recommendations regarding the size of your arm and the cuff to use. I think your upper arm measures 13" or more it was recommended to use a larger cuff. I am not sure if this would help or not-some models have both cuffs included-mine didnt-and I purchased a larger cuff at Wal-mart for about $10.00.

Old 05-08-2005, 04:42 PM   #5
(female)

teacherslp HB User

Hi,

I have a question: I measured w/ a CVS brand arm cuff (very tight and hurts my arm) and get a reading of 140/92, then 2 minutes later I measured w/ my ReliOn wrist monitor and got a reading of 117/76...any ideas?

Old 05-08-2005, 06:44 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Sunlover HB User

I'm glad I saw the answer to the self inflating one too! I have an Omron one that I manually inflate and boy does that kill my arm too!! I feel like my arm is going to just bust right off, it's horrible! I have to inflate it to over 200!

Old 05-09-2005, 02:15 AM   #7
(female)

red-rider HB User

Thank you all for your excellent recommendations. The monitor I have is causing my arm to hurt for days at a time,so I simply cant use it anymore. I wanted to respond to teacherslp about wrist monitors. They are inaccurate and a waste of money in my experience. Not only did mine give a lower(wrong reading),it hurt my wrist and made me start to have carpal tunnel in my left hand. I know this for fact because once I stopped using it,my wrist and hand were fine.
R.R.

Old 05-09-2005, 07:58 AM   #8
(female)

icsue HB User

My doctor said the wrist monitor's are not very accurate. I also heard you should wait 5 or 10 minutes before taking your blood pressure again. Somebody said you old wait 2 mintues but I always get a higher reading if I wait for more than 5 or 10.

Old 05-09-2005, 09:51 AM   #9
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

At least one of your monitors is bad, or you are using it incorrectly. Take them to your doctor's office and compare readings there with the doctor's monitor.

Some people say the cuff monitors are bad, but my CVS cuff monitor is very accurate - and I calibrate it against my doctor's monitors when ever I go for a check up.

Closed Thread