It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-12-2005, 06:07 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User
how long does it take for diltiazem to work - help!

I have been on a tiny dose of lisinopril (1.25 mg) and a tiny dose of atenolol (6.25 mg) for over a year now. My doctor stopped these meds because of pain and other problems I was having...he thought they were side affects. So he put me on 120 mg of diltiazem.

When I was on the lisinopril and atenolol, my blood pressure was always wonderful...like 110/70. But now it is totally messed up and very high. Sometimes it is 149/94...and hangs around that level. Then once in awhile it will dip down, but usually ranges somewhere between 138/87 to 149/95.

I am really scared about this because I have a kidney problem and my kidney doctors have always told me to keep a good eye on my blood pressure. I have been on diltiazem a week now and it has been way too high. My doctor increased it today to 180 mg, but I just have a feeling that it isn't going to help. It seems like this pill has no effect on me. The atenolol and lisinopril lowered my blood pressure a lot with just one dose, so that is why I only took tiny doses of them.

I'm scared that my blood pressure is going to be too high too long and my kidneys will suffer as well as other organs...but my doctor just wants me to be patient. Any thoughts on how long diltiazem takes to work? Actually the sample of the 180 mg he gave me today is called Cardizem LA...but I guess it is the same as diltiazem.

Any thoughts?

Old 05-12-2005, 09:39 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User
Re: how long does it take for diltiazem to work - help!

It took about 2 weeks for Tiazac to work for me. I take 300 mgs with no side effects. All the literature etc. says that Diltiazem increases the effect of other bp medicines, so you might well also benefit a lot from a small dose of something else in addition. I mix an ARB...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-13-2005, 04:21 AM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

Thank you so much for writing back. I feel so lost sometimes! My doctor is hard to talk to, but I really like him...does that make any sense? I know that he is a good guy and is looking out for me, I guess, but sometimes I get intimidated and hate to keep bugging him about the same thing, like my blood pressure, but I also hate to keep letting it be too high.

Ok, so hopefully in another couple days or so, my blood pressure will be better. I do like the idea of taking a small dose of something else with it, perhaps atenolol. Does anyone know if you can take atenolol with diltiazem? I might ask my doctor if I can do that.

Thanks for answering. I am so glad I have somewhere to ask questions, when I feel like I can't keep bugging my doctor!

Old 05-13-2005, 08:31 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

Generally they don't like to give cardizem and atenolol together. According to a drug interaction website it says the cardizem can increase the effects of the atenolol.

Keep bugging your doctor. You pay him for his medical expertise, he owes you answers, no matter how busy he is.

Old 05-13-2005, 09:32 AM   #5
Veteran
(female)

Rorie HB User

Thanks for letting me know. I've been tempted to just try taking both because I still have some atenolol from when he prescribed it before. But I decided against it and left him another message letting him know my pressure is even higher and that I REALLY think I need to take something else with it. Hopefully he will get back with me today...I don't want to wait all weekend with it this high!

Old 05-14-2005, 10:56 AM   #6
Veteran
(male)

pal7778 HB User

Read throughout the various threats for arguments against taking beta blockers. And
mixing bbs and diltiazem is actually dangerous--you don't want to take two medicines that both lower your heart rate. There might not be any rate left.

Closed Thread