It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 11:30 AM   #1
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User
BP and Heart Rate

What is the correlation between blood pressure and heart rate? I was recently switched from 100mg of Atenolol to 50mg Cozaar. I can feel my heart rate at times to almost be racing! If I take my pulse, its like 80-90bpm. Other times it feels fine. Measures around 70 then.

I'm wondering if the 50mg Cozaar will be suitable for controlling my BP. I'm enjoying not having to take a Beta Blocker because it was making me tired and slugish while trying to run. I hope I don't have to go back to the Atenolol.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 04:20 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: BP and Heart Rate

Did you just stop taking the atenolol? If you did that is the cause of your high heart rate. Even if you weaned off you still might get some tachycardia for awhile.
Other questions - how long were you on atenolol and what kind of BP control are you getting now?

Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 05-26-2005 at 04:23 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 08:22 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User

For a number of years, I was taking 100mg Atenolol, 2mg of Terazosin, and 50mg Triamterene.

Two months ago, I was switched from 100mg Atenolol, to 20mg of Lisinopril. Still taking the same doses of the others. This lasted 1 month (due to the coughing).

Its been two weeks now that I've been taking 50mg of Cozaar rather than the 20mg of Lisinopril (which was substitued for the Atenolol). But I'm still taking the 2mg of Terazosin, and 50mg Triamterene along with the 50mg of Cozaar.

Old 05-26-2005, 08:56 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Two months ago, I was switched from 100mg Atenolol, to 20mg of Lisinopril. Still taking the same doses of the others. This lasted 1 month (due to the coughing).
So did you stop atenolol "cold turkey"? Or wean down ?

Quote:
Its been two weeks now that I've been taking 50mg of Cozaar rather than the 20mg of Lisinopril (which was substitued for the Atenolol). But I'm still taking the 2mg of Terazosin, and 50mg Triamterene along with the 50mg of Cozaar.
When did the tachycardia start?
I just read that an unusually fast heartrate is a side effect of Terazosin (alpha blocker) and should be reported to the doctor.
I suspect that the atenolol was keeping down the heartrate and either stopping the atenolol or possibly taking the Terazosin without the atenolol is the culprit here. Either way you should report this to a doctor that will listen or at least a pharmacist.
Cass

Old 05-27-2005, 06:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

I agree.
That very high dose of atenolol and long time on it has caused you to habitually produce LOTS of catecholemines. These speed up the heart. It may take a LONG time to slow down. Just be patient, it should get better and better with time.

Old 05-27-2005, 01:14 PM   #6
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
So did you stop atenolol "cold turkey"? Or wean down ?

When did the tachycardia start?
I had been taking 100mg of Atenolol, the next and subsequent days (following Dr. visit), took (switched) 20mg of Lisinopril.

I took the 20mg of Lisinopril for about 1 month, the next day switched to 50mg of Cozaar.

The other drugs I mentioned, still on, same dose.

Which is the "tachycardia"??

Sorry if I'm not being very clear. There was no weaning period. Just a total substitution. As if the meds inside the bottle had been switched from one day to the next.

Old 05-27-2005, 02:33 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

What is going on with these doctors? You would think after all those years of med school, somebody would tell them not to just take someone off a beta blocker without a weaning period!! I mean JEEZE!, it's not like beta blockers are new meds!
I am starting to become paranoid about any advice I get form a doctor. Before I do anything I consult this board and the internet.

Sorry about ranting. I don't really know what you should do now. It appears your heartrate isn't too bad and in time it will go back to normal. I guess you could just monitor both BP and pulse and just make sure it doesn't get to out of control.

"tachycardia" is a fast heart beat. I beleive over 100.

Hope you feel better soon.
Cass

Old 05-28-2005, 04:00 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

jv109 HB User

Cass,
Thanks. And thanks for your advice too!

Closed Thread