It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-26-2005, 08:32 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

microwave HB Usermicrowave HB User
Hypertension - What do you eat for snacks?

Hubby just got diagnosed with hypertension and he needs to cut back on sodium and start eating healthy! What do you eat for snacks, and what do you bring for lunch at work?

thanks

Old 05-26-2005, 08:53 PM   #2
(female)

ms_hypertensive HB User
Re: Hypertension - What do you eat for snacks?

I cut out salty foods like potato chips and now snack on fresh fruit, unsalted nuts, raw trail mix, unsalted pretzels or tortilla chips. I am really making an effort on the salt and it's paying off -- 111/68!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-26-2005, 09:10 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

My favorite snack food is unsalted, dry roasted peanuts. Wish I could find regular nuts dry roasted. Of course, one has to be careful not to overdo the nuts, as they are so high fat. Sometimes I have a couple of homemade oat bran biscuits. (I also have high cholesterol, so the oat bran helps with that.) Other than that, I usually snack on fruit. I'm retired, so my lunches are at home, usually a huge salad, sometimes bean or lentil soup with small salad.

Old 05-27-2005, 09:03 AM   #4
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

My lunches are boring but healthy. I have a baggie of peeled baby carrots (they come prepared in the grocery store), lite yougurt 6 oz size, piece of fresh fruit (usually apples, but sometimes grapes, cantalope, peaches, etc.), and a Brownberry Heatlth Nut bagel. I wash it all down with caffeine free diet Coke. In my lunch bucket I carry a plain rice cake and a Kellogs Krave "energy snack bar", chocolate fudge of course (its basically a 200 calorie candy bar). I nibble my lunch all afternoon, so I haven't eaten the rice cake or Krave bar in months.

I work 40 hours a week, and find that I don't really have much time to snack. Good snacks would be things like the baby peeled carrots, or celery sticks, piece of fruit. A no salt rice cake with a thin layer of peanut butter is also good. Non fat cottage cheese would be a good snack. Dried fruit is a good snack. My favorite snack is the Garden of Eaten Blue Corn Chips. I don't think they are that low calorie, but they sure are good! They come in two versions, low salt and no salt. I'm afraid I go for the low salt type. If hubby is a big salt eater, you might go for some low salt snack items to satisfy the urge and then gradually go over to no salt.

Be careful with items like crackers that have a "low fat" variety. Often times they increase the salt content to make up for the lack of fat.

Closed Thread