It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-27-2005, 06:04 PM   #1

redherring HB User
Angry Prime Example of White Coat Syndrome

For those of you who have been following my posts the last couple of months know that I've been on the South Beach Diet for almost a month. My numbers are trending downwards into areas like I've never seen (116/78!!!). I attribute this to the diet and the fact that stepped on the accelerator with my exercise regime.

Anyway, I found a new primary care doctor. I went in all happy and proud with my two month chart which shows new low numbers from the past couple of weeks . He took my BP and it was 156/92 He told me he wasn't that worried about my BP because I've been tracking my BP and he noticed that every time I visited a doctor my BP was high. I also calibrated my machine against his mecury pump (??) and I got the same reading within 4pts. I took it again when I got home and it's 147/88.

This is a prime example of white coat syndrome. I never cared about my blood pressure until my former primary care doctor all of sudden said I had high blood pressure last year (140/90) and wanted me to take norvasc. I swear what she said that day messed me up!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 01:36 AM   #2
(female)

red-rider HB User
Re: Prime Example of White Coat Syndrome

Yes~I can relate! I used to never give my bp a second thought. Now it follows me around like a monkey on my back. Having high bp also introduced anxiety into my life. I started with Tenormin and it turned me into a basket case~then Accupril and got "the cough". For the past year~it's been Diovan. It's not working. I only have enough to last me till next week. I have no doctor and no appointment. I wonder what med will be on the horizon for me? I never liked going to the doctor~but with high bp I DREAD it. I ALWAYS have white coat. When I tell the nurse-she justs looks at me like "yeah right?" I long for the days when I never even "thought" about BP. I was calmer and definitely happier. I wish I could just bring in my daily record and show the doc what my bp is and ask them to not take it~But I doubt a new doctor would do that. After all my appt would be for a new bp med. Woe is me-darnit!
R.R.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-28-2005, 05:37 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Uff-Da! HB UserUff-Da! HB User

red-rider - By all means, at least take your BP record with you when you see the new doctor. Even though he/she would want to take your BP, too, at least that would put things in perspective. My late husband's doctor even photocopied the BP record I had kept of his readings to add to his record.

redherring - Glad to hear you are getting such splendid BP results from your new diet and that your new doctor is understanding of white coat syndrome.

Old 05-28-2005, 07:26 AM   #4

redherring HB User

Thanks for the comments, Uff-Da and RR. I was sooo happy with my new numbers and to get a high reading in the doctor's office blew me away. Like I said, up to a year ago, I never gave my BP a second thought. I never asked the doctor. This is causing me anxiety!

Closed Thread