It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 09:24 AM   #1
(male)

err629 HB User
High BP in the mornings.

When I wake up in the mornings my BP is always abnormally high. This moring it was 160/95. However, after I eat breakfast it drops and during the day it is OK and sometimes drops into low numbers such as 98/58. Since March 30 of this year I have started taking BP medication for the first time in my life.I am 57. My doc has put me on Micardis 40 mg/day which I take right before going to bed. I was hoping that by now it would have brought my morning BP under control but it seems to have no effect on BP in the mornings. If I tell the doc, I am sure he will increase the dosage which I am afraid will lower my daytime BP even further. Any suggestions/experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 01:51 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: High BP in the mornings.

I took Micardis for several months but couldn't get 24 hour control. Of course that wouldn't explain why it gets lower as the day goes along.
Do you take it as soon as you wake up? I was told to wait at least 30 min to an hour after getting up to take BP.
Cass

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-31-2005, 08:59 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

mgraylorn HB User

How well do you sleep? There is some literature that sleep apnea will cause high blood pressure. I would think this would make bp highest at night and when you first wake up.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
Do you take it as soon as you wake up? I was told to wait at least 30 min to an hour after getting up to take BP.
Cass
Hi Cass!

Aren't you curious to know how your blood pressure is doing during the first hour?

I've taken over 16,000 BP readings over the past seven years. I take my BP, when I can, throughout the day and night.

I know what my normal blood pressure range is for any hour of the day or night. Of course, I've got more readings during the day than in the middle of the night. If my blood pressure gets higher than the normal range, for any given period, I'll take a nitro under my tongue and get the blood pressure down.

My blood pressure is usually higher when I first get up, but not too high. It's acceptable, and then it comes down during the first few hours.

Are you still sticking with the "Insulin Resistant UCLA diet"? I'm still on it, and the results have been GREAT!

Regards! I hope everything is going well with you.

Old 05-31-2005, 10:38 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Lenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB UserLenin HB User

err,

I think your morning BP as the highest reading of the day is VERY common. I experience the same thing.
I attribute it to the evolutionary response of waking to danger. When awakened from sleep by a nosy bear sniffing ones feet, our ancient ancestor needed to spring to action as quickly as possible and that means nutrition and oxygen to the cells, quickly.

Those cave dwellers whose genes allowed them to laze around for an hour with a nice relaxed low BP became bear food and the gene line ended with them.

Old 05-31-2005, 11:51 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
Aren't you curious to know how your blood pressure is doing during the first hour?
(LOL) Yes, and I do take it sometimes when I first get up. But I am not one to always take the advice I am given.
Quote:
you still sticking with the "Insulin Resistant UCLA diet"? I'm still on it, and the results have been GREAT!
Yes, and doing great myself. I have gotten so used to it I can't imagine eating any other way. My weight is great so are BP and energy.

Regards to you as well,
Cass

Old 05-31-2005, 05:55 PM   #7
(male)

err629 HB User

Thank you very much for all your responses. Yes, I do take my BP first thing after I get up, and I have also taken it about 30 minutes after wking up on many occassions. Usually it drops some but not by much . Most of the time, 30 minutes after waking up, it is still around 145 t0 155 over 88 t0 93. Normally after breakfast it begins to go down. My sleep is usually restful so I do not suspect the high mornings BP is due to sleep apnea although I do snore, some nights more than others. That could have something to do with it, maybe.

Old 06-01-2005, 05:31 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(male)

Machaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB UserMachaon HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CASSIEBEL
(LOL) Yes, and I do take it sometimes when I first get up. But I am not one to always take the advice I am given.
I think that it is an "ego thing" among doctors. They don't know how to get their patient's blood pressure down, first thing in the morning, so they tell their patients not to take it for the first hour.

I find it very important to take my blood pressure when I first get up, so I can track it, and determine what changes to make to get a lower early morning blood pressure.

Quote:
Yes, and doing great myself. I have gotten so used to it I can't imagine eating any other way. My weight is great so are BP and energy.

Regards to you as well,
Cass
It's great to hear that you are doing so well!

I've made some slight changes recently. I now squeeze in two or three snack sessions of ¼ cup roasted almonds. Plus, I've stopped eating meat. I've substituted a half of egg salad sandwich on 100% whole wheat instead. Although my blood pressure is much improved and the best it has been in years, I wanted to see if, avoiding meats and meat additives, would contribute to lowering my blood pressure further.

It's only been about about a week now. I haven't seen any significant lowering of blood pressure yet, but I have lost about two pounds in a week. I'm going to stay on this "no meat" change for another week, and then decide if it is worth continuing.

No matter how much my health improves, I will stay on this diet. I really enjoy the frequent feedings!

See you at the ballpark!

Old 06-01-2005, 12:09 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by beerzoids
It's great to hear that you are doing so well!

I've made some slight changes recently. I now squeeze in two or three snack sessions of ¼ cup roasted almonds. Plus, I've stopped eating meat. I've substituted a half of egg salad sandwich on 100% whole wheat instead. Although my blood pressure is much improved and the best it has been in years, I wanted to see if, avoiding meats and meat additives, would contribute to lowering my blood pressure further.
I pretty much gave up meat when I started this diet. I eat chicken breast or lean beef maybe 1 time a week, in tiny, tiny servings. I never really cared for meat as much as veggies anyway. I do eat a lot of eggbeaters though.

Quote:
It's only been about about a week now. I haven't seen any significant lowering of blood pressure yet, but I have lost about two pounds in a week. I'm going to stay on this "no meat" change for another week, and then decide if it is worth continuing.
My BP has never been this good, at least, since I first started taking meds 26 years ago and I have lost 15lbs. I am now a little underweight (according to my doc) so maybe adding snacks is a good idea for me too.

Quote:
No matter how much my health improves, I will stay on this diet. I really enjoy the frequent feedings!
Me too!

Quote:
See you at the ballpark!
SIGH, S-I-G-H, My Astros are horrible this year. Worst start in their history.
I had a chance to see the Marlins on TV when the Stros were there last month. Very impressive!! Although we did win one there

Good health to you,
Cass

Old 06-10-2005, 09:09 PM   #10
Inactive
(female)

Kathyz HB User

When your bladder is full, your bp might be higher. You might see if this is part of it. Snoring may be indicating sleep apnea. Have you had a test?

Old 06-11-2005, 10:30 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Cher2005 HB User

My pressure is also high most mornings. It's disconcerting to say the least. Sometimes as high as 170/90. After I take my medicine and move around a little, it tends to go down.
My BP when I am lying down is actually higher than when I sit up. Hard to figure out.
I'm taking diovan AM & PM with a water pill added in the morning.
I think my pressure was better with diazide (37.5) but the doctor took me off that because I have diabetes and it's contraindicated.
Ido better with a larger amount of a water pill. I guess I just have to be more vigilant about salt intake.

Closed Thread