It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

High & Low Blood Pressure Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-30-2005, 01:01 PM   #1
(female)

momof2A's HB User
Need Renal Artery Bypass....Have Some Questions

Hi all,

I have had uncontrolled hypertension for 18 months now, despite being on Antenolol w/ diuretic and Clonidine .2 mg/1per day, plus trying all the different types of bp meds that didn't work. I went to the dr for something unrelated and my bp was 155/115, so he suggested a renal artery scan. I showed some blockage in one of my arteries. I went to a surgeon for follow up and she suggested a renal bypass. She said since I am young, 27, that I would outlive a stint and therefore wanted to do something more permanent. I'm getting a second opinion in a few weeks.

I am freaking out b/c I can't find what I'm looking for in regards to this surgery, so if anyone could answer my questions, I would be most appreciative.

1- Is this a serious surgery?

2- Is it painful? Will they have to cut me wide open?

3- How long is the hospital stay?

4- Will I be well once I have this done or is there a chance of having to do it again?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions. I can find articles for coronary bypass, but not renal artery bypass. I think once I know the answers to this, then I'll feel much better.

Old 05-30-2005, 01:07 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

CASSIEBEL HB User
Re: Need Renal Artery Bypass....Have Some Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by momof2A's
Hi all,

I have had uncontrolled hypertension for 18 months now, despite being on Antenolol w/ diuretic and Clonidine .2 mg/1per day, plus trying all the different types of bp meds that didn't work. I went to the dr for something unrelated and my bp was 155/115, so he suggested a renal artery scan. I showed some blockage in one of my arteries. I went to a surgeon for follow up and she suggested a renal bypass. She said since I am young, 27, that I would outlive a stint and therefore wanted to do something more permanent. I'm getting a second opinion in a few weeks.

I am freaking out b/c I can't find what I'm looking for in regards to this surgery, so if anyone could answer my questions, I would be most appreciative.

1- Is this a serious surgery?

2- Is it painful? Will they have to cut me wide open?

3- How long is the hospital stay?

4- Will I be well once I have this done or is there a chance of having to do it again?

Thanks to anyone who can answer these questions. I can find articles for coronary bypass, but not renal artery bypass. I think once I know the answers to this, then I'll feel much better.
Have you tried the kidney board?
I have only heard of 1 person who had that done. Don't know how serious the surgery is but the outcome was great for him.
Best of luck to you and keep us posted as to what you decide.
Cass

Last edited by CASSIEBEL; 05-30-2005 at 01:10 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-30-2005, 01:12 PM   #3
(female)

momof2A's HB User
Re: Need Renal Artery Bypass....Have Some Questions

Yes, I cross-posted on the kidney board last night and haven't gotten an answer yet. Thanks for answering and glad your friend's surgery worked out well.

Closed Thread